Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2015 6:25:53 AM EDT
Since y'all passed licensed open carry a few year ago, did you run into any problems/harassment from it.

Police/Sheriffs stopping asking  permits, just because you are carrying?

Was there any increase in signs on businesses to stop either open carry or concealed carry?

Have any major businesses closed up or moved because Oklahoma got open carry?

Here in Texas seems like the world is coming to an end because we FINALLY passed open carry.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen much change at all. About the only thing I did see was the local pharmacy putting up a sign asking for firearms to stay concealed (doesn't bother me at all asking that. Way different than the usual No Fireams signs) . The news and libs said we were going to have gunfights in the streets just like when CC was passed, of course that never happened. You really don't see OC very often and I've only done it a few times, no hassle at all though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I`ve only seen 1 person oc`ing so far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Like said previously the only change i have seen is some signs specifying no open carry or keep concealed.  I have also only seen one person OC in public.  The only time I do is when I am out working on the farm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
No changes noticed here, sometimes I open carry, sometimes I carry concealed and sometimes not at all. I have seen a few dozen people open carry with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]
the biggest non event since Y2K.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Just like everything else that one side or the other claims will cause doom, gloom and Tasmanian devils raining from the heavens, it was a non event.  The emancipation proclamation, giving women the right to vote, allowing women into "men's" military occupations, gays in the military, gay marriage, open carry, constitutional carry.....it comes and goes without any of the horror predicted.

Now, there were businesses that banned it on their property but no issues there, just shop elsewhere.  The anti's claimed the state would revert to the wild west and people would be shooting each other in the streets over arguments and there would be countless innocent people killed in the crossfire.  It was unbelievable the stuff they were claiming but fortunately, their insanity was outvoted.  So here we are, a couple (?) years later and you wouldn't know there even was an open carry law.  No old west, no showdowns at the OK corral, or OK parking lots, no problems.  I've seen two folks open carrying in public, hardly the ominous future predicted prior to the law being enacted.

What has happened is good citizens no longer have to fear legal proceedings should their concealed carry gun be accidentally exposed and rights (at least partially) returned to the people.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I; personally, have never witnessed anyone open carrying a firearm. Having said that... I don't open carry.  I keep it concealed.  Sorry. I know that wasn't much help.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been stopped by a few people (not LEO) while OCing, all of which were positive experiences. Most were people who were just curious (what are you carrying, what caliber, where did you get the belt/holster type of stuff). One woman asked about licensing requirements and local training options as she and her husband had just moved from out of state and wanted to get their ccw's.

In general I've found that boat people are so oblivious to what is going on around them that very few people will even notice, let alone say anything to you about it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I open carry every 2nd of the month, and on days when I am headed to the range.  I have never had a bad experience.  Most people never notice and if they do it is no big deal.  I have never been questioned by LEO when in the store or anything.  I would imagine most of them realize they would need actual probable cause to question you.  In Oklahoma you only have to notify if you are carrying when dealing with the police while they are investigating something (Complaint call or you get pulled over or something like that).  You have no responsibility to notify if you meet them causualy (you happen to be in the same line at the gas station, restaurant, whatever).  The same applies to them, they can only question you about your concealed carry if they are investigating something not if they just walk by you on the street.

That being said if they did stop me on the street, I would cooperate with them, but I would then follow up with PD at a later date to file a complaint.  It would do no good to argue with them at that time as I would imagine that would just allow them to generate some paper work that showed I was hostile/belligerent and would come back to bite me in the A$$ at a later date.  (Like when I renew my concealed carry)
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I work at a local drug store, and we have a gun counter in back. I see about one a week, no problems. I haven't heard anything negative from the folks up in the pharmacy either.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I work at a local drug store, and we have a gun counter in back. I see about one a week, no problems. I haven't heard anything negative from the folks up in the pharmacy either.
View Quote

Where at.? Sounds like some place I need to visit...

I remember a place in Crescent my grandfather would take me when I was a little kid..

You could buy Gas, Guns, ammo, fishing tackle, live bait, hamburgers and soft serve ice cream..
That's just what I remember...

I only open carry under specific circumstances in the city but all the time in the country...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just like everything else that one side or the other claims will cause doom, gloom and Tasmanian devils raining from the heavens, it was a non event.  The emancipation proclamation, giving women the right to vote, allowing women into "men's" military occupations, gays in the military, gay marriage, open carry, constitutional carry.....it comes and goes without any of the horror predicted.

Now, there were businesses that banned it on their property but no issues there, just shop elsewhere.  The anti's claimed the state would revert to the wild west and people would be shooting each other in the streets over arguments and there would be countless innocent people killed in the crossfire.  It was unbelievable the stuff they were claiming but fortunately, their insanity was outvoted.  So here we are, a couple (?) years later and you wouldn't know there even was an open carry law.  No old west, no showdowns at the OK corral, or OK parking lots, no problems.  I've seen two folks open carrying in public, hardly the ominous future predicted prior to the law being enacted.

What has happened is good citizens no longer have to fear legal proceedings should their concealed carry gun be accidentally exposed and rights (at least partially) returned to the people.
View Quote

The horror is right around the corner.

http://www.blogwrath.com/gay-issues/the-gay-manifesto-a-chilling-prophecy-come-true/4590/
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The horror is right around the corner.

http://www.blogwrath.com/gay-issues/the-gay-manifesto-a-chilling-prophecy-come-true/4590/

*insert eye roll* ....
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Where at.? Sounds like some place I need to visit...
View Quote

Evans Drug in Enid. I still drive through Crescent on the way to the city periodically.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I've only seen two open carry'ers so far...
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know. I think my little pocket 9mm serves me best concealed. I don't want to advertise that I carry a firearm. I don't know that anyone would really care, but I feel better keeping it concealed.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I never carry open. My wife does a lot. She actually went to may fest in downtown Tulsa in open carry. She stopped by 3 TPD officers on the way in and asked if she would have a problem and one said no but they would have a problem then laughed. He explained they would get a lot of calls but said its her right and go ahead and enjoy yourself.
I try and get her to conceal but due to her lean frame it's hard to conceal. She does have a good quality retention holster though. She gets stopped by women and asked what iind of gun she is carrying. (Glock 19).
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I do carry open often but I don't recommend it. It only takes one asshole with a badge to ruin your day even when you are legal. It can cause you a hassle you won't appreciate. I won't go into my experience but I had one tell me I was at risk from any LEO who saw me carrying a gun when they had to respond to a call.
He is probably right and that should piss everybody off.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I do carry open often but I don't recommend it. It only takes one asshole with a badge to ruin your day even when you are legal. It can cause you a hassle you won't appreciate. I won't go into my experience but I had one tell me I was at risk from any LEO who saw me carrying a gun when they had to respond to a call.
View Quote

Id have to tell that cop that if I ever see some dirt bag about to punch his card, Ill just look the other way... Fuck him..
What an ass...

ETA: Sounds like the type that would shoot innocent people during a "Katrina" type event.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Id have to tell that cop that if I ever see some dirt bag about to punch his card, Ill just look the other way... Fuck him..
What an ass...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What an ass...

That is exactly what I told him - he would be on his on in a shootout even if I was there. He refused to give me his full name and agency. He was a fed and had no jurisdiction but he still made contact with me.
I respect LE but they are a hazard and danger to any legally armed, honest citizen. DON'T ever forget that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I know a JBT he unsnapped his holster hand on weapon, screaming coming at be because,we accidentally touched tire on the lawn while we were trying to park.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I run into an open carrier once or twice a week. I open carry occasionally. I have never seen an issue come about from it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is exactly what I told him - he would be on his on in a shootout even if I was there. He refused to give me his full name and agency. He was a fed and had no jurisdiction but he still made contact with me.
I respect LE but they are a hazard and danger to any legally armed, honest citizen. DON'T ever forget that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What an ass...

If he would not identify himself name/agency including badge and/or ID sounds like he was either not really a LEO, or was really trying to play dickhead. Was this clown in a uniform, or plain clothes?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If he would not identify himself name/agency including badge and/or ID sounds like he was either not really a LEO, or was really trying to play dickhead. Was this clown in a uniform, or plain clothes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What an ass...

He gave me his first name but not his full name when I pressed him for it. He said he was doing me a favor letting me know my handgun was showing when I kept pressing him. ROFL
Not all LE are dicks, most are decent in handling contacts. But you never know what you'll draw at any given contact.
My knee was hurting, I was not in a good mood and got indignant.
Not really smart if the guy had been a real dick.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#27]
It's worked out well so far, but now Oklahoma needs to pass constitutional carry and stop the infringement altogether.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's worked out well so far, but now Oklahoma needs to pass constitutional carry and stop the infringement altogether.
View Quote

WTF were you when we were trying to do just that?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Local SDA instructor (LEO) told the class his partner will take a CCW holders firearm every time and run the numbers to see if it is stolen. This in direct violation of the SDA law that says they will not be confiscated.

Title 21 O.S. 1289.13A Transferring Loaded Pistol without Handgun License - Penalty - Confiscation of Firearm

a. If a person is stopped for a moving traffic violation......

ii., When the arresting officer determines that a valid handgun license exits, any firearms permitted to be carried will not be confiscated, unless,
      1. The person is arrested for violating another provision of the law......
      2. The officer has probable cause to belive the weapon is
          a. contraband or
          b. a firearm used in the commission of a crime other than a violation of this section.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Local SDA instructor (LEO) told the class his partner will take a CCW holders firearm every time and run the numbers to see if it is stolen. This in direct violation of the SDA law that says they will not be confiscated.

Title 21 O.S. 1289.13A Transferring Loaded Pistol without Handgun License - Penalty - Confiscation of Firearm

ii., When the arresting officer determines that a valid handgun license exits, any firearms permitted to be carried will not be confiscated, unless,
          a. contraband or
          b. a firearm used in the commission of a crime other than a violation of this section.
View Quote

So, his partner is violating state law and he looks the other way..
The SDA instructor is part of the problem.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

a. contraband or
View Quote

The LE can say the subject was nervous and stuttering to justify confiscating a firearm in a stop. They play twenty questions with everybody (they are trained to do that) and it does make some people nervous. (WTF did I do, why is this cop asking me so many questions?)
All they have to do is articulate suspicious behavior and they can pretty much give you an anal examination. If you have a lot cash on you, say good by to it!!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a. contraband or

And you are surprised? Some cops think they are above the law.

I never offer that I am carrying when I am pulled over, it is wrong to have a law that forces people to disarm themselves and it is stupid to disarm yourself, no matter the law.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I never offer that I am carrying when I am pulled over, it is wrong to have a law that forces people to disarm themselves and it is stupid to disarm yourself, no matter the law.
View Quote

If you don't give notice, and they find a gun, you will face an administrative law judge at the OSBI. You can be fined or have your SDA revoked and or both.
While I don't like that law, it is the law. I'm not going to shoot it out with a cop at a traffic stop over refusing to give up my firearm even if I am legal. You can't win when you face a prick with a badge, plain and simple.
If the time comes they try to confiscate all firearms, they may be in for a huge surprise from the majority of Okies.
But until then, I will obey the law regardless if it is stupid or not. The only way I will disobey is if it threatens the life of my loved ones or myself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#35]
[b]Quoted:[/bI never offer that I am carrying when I am pulled over, it is wrong to have a law that forces people to disarm themselves and it is stupid to disarm yourself, no matter the law.
View Quote

Notifying does not disarm you and they can't legally take the weapon without cause. If they, do deal with it legally. The side of the road is not the place for this..
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Notifying does not disarm you and they can't legally take the weapon without cause. If they, do deal with it legally. The side of the road is not the place for this..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:[/bI never offer that I am carrying when I am pulled over, it is wrong to have a law that forces people to disarm themselves and it is stupid to disarm yourself, no matter the law.

It does disarm you if after you notify they demand your weapon, and you can't guarantee they will will not demand it.

And you know as well as I do they will find some BS reason to justify probable cause, and to take your weapon. If officers don't follow the rule of law as described a few posts up then how do they expect the citizenry to?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Some LEO need to relax a little. When was the last time a bad guy used a holster?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It does disarm you if after you notify they demand your weapon, and you can't guarantee they will will not demand it.

And you know as well as I do they will find some BS reason to justify probable cause, and to take your weapon. If officers don't follow the rule of law as described a few posts up then how do they expect the citizenry to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SDA regs in OK say that the LE does not have the right to take or inspect your firearm.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So where do you think this is going to end? So you don't notify and then for what ever reason they find the gun.. Then what? Are you going to start a gun fight with a cop?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some LEO need to relax a little. When was the last time a bad guy used a holster?
View Quote

No kidding, much les have a permit and notify.

I have never had a problem. To the contrary I think it may have gotten me out of a ticket at least once...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The SDA regs in OK say that the LE does not have the right to take or inspect your firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you think LEOs always follow the Law?
Granted most do but if they want to go off the range their brothers in blue usually keep their mouths closed. And the fucking DAs have prosecutorial discretion to not file charges. I usually don't challenge a turd with a badge. It won't end well for me.
Or you if you run across one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I was reading on News9 how State Senator Kyle Loveless was proposing a bill to hold accountable the states law enforcement agencies in regards to confiscation of personal property. Apparently, there is no law on the books now and people have lost many things to seizures over the years regardless of their guilt/innocence or even if charges are filed....basically what i got from the article is that is something is seized from you by LE you can kiss it good bye.

The article makes mention the bill is being attacked my some law enforcement leaders...it said many things have turned up missing and on one incident, am assistant DA was found using a seized house for his own personal use.

Interesting how OK is...they seize your stuff cause you are suspected of a crime, then turns out they were wrong, then you have to fight to get your stuff back...so long as it hasnt already been "spoken" for...thats a load of BS.

Good article and i hope the bill is made into law...a person shouldnt have to fight to get his stuff back unless it is illegal, or evidence for a crime or something. You take it wrongfully, give it back...pretty simple one would think.

I always thought OK was a basic free of BS laws kind of state like AZ and TX...but with firearms, the laws are kind of screwed I think. Shouldnt need a permit for anything like AZ...how i miss that...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was reading on News9 how State Senator Kyle Loveless was proposing a bill to hold accountable the states law enforcement agencies in regards to confiscation of personal property. Apparently, there is no law on the books now and people have lost many things to seizures over the years regardless of their guilt/innocence or even if charges are filed....basically what i got from the article is that is something is seized from you by LE you can kiss it good bye.

The article makes mention the bill is being attacked my some law enforcement leaders...it said many things have turned up missing and on one incident, am assistant DA was found using a seized house for his own personal use.

Interesting how OK is...they seize your stuff cause you are suspected of a crime, then turns out they were wrong, then you have to fight to get your stuff back...so long as it hasnt already been "spoken" for...thats a load of BS.

Good article and i hope the bill is made into law...a person shouldnt have to fight to get his stuff back unless it is illegal, or evidence for a crime or something. You take it wrongfully, give it back...pretty simple one would think.

I always thought OK was a basic free of BS laws kind of state like AZ and TX...but with firearms, the laws are kind of screwed I think. Shouldnt need a permit for anything like AZ...how i miss that...
View Quote

If you want to talk about seizure of assets, check out Caddo County. After several LE agencies got into a conflict over the seizure of $160 million from am Internet gambling ring, they went nuts. One LE agency had a training consultant, not a commissioned officer, seizing money from traffic stops on I40.
You never know what will happen when you are stopped by an LE officer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top