Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 9:42:02 PM EDT
The family is stoping at the Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium Tuesday on our way to Stillwater. Is there a must stop place in Tulsa?  We are driving in from Springfield on I-44 so not too far from that path.

I grew up in Muskogee, but that was a navy career ago...so no idea other than Braums......
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
20 looks and nothing?  Anything to avoid?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Ron's burgers and chili; however, I think that Ron's would not be the best choice for how long you'll be in the car. If you see a Freddy's definitely stop though! They have some of the best frozen custard.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Steak Stuffers USA

7846 East 51st St.

Tulsa, OK 74145

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Mr. Tacos about 3rd and N Lewis, no seating.
Make sure your packing heat.
First time I went there they had bullet holes in the glass.
Actually even better is Calavasa at admiral and Lewis across from Zieglers frame shop. Good mexican food.
Otherwise if you go into south Tulsa, Lanna Thai, 73rd &Memorial.
The Brook at 81st and Memorial, awesome food, big portions.

Sorry i didn't see this earlier, I work at the airport.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a Hideaway Pizza in Owasso and midtown. A couple of good places in Brookside, just south of downtown. Nothing really near the airport. Though the run down closed looking place at Port Road and Mingo is pretty good and local.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Ron's burgers and chili; however, I think that Ron's would not be the best choice for how long you'll be in the car. If you see a Freddy's definitely stop though! They have some of the best frozen custard.
View Quote

Ron's will be fine as long as they avoid the Spanish Cheese Fries...

I used to say "Billy Ray's BBQ", but they've been going downhill lately, so don't go there.  

If you like really overpriced chicken, there's a Buffalo Wild Wings at 41st and Sheridan.  There's some other stuff around there, too, but the only other thing I can think of at the moment besides Academy Sports is a What-A-Burger.

There's a Raising Cane's chicken on Yale south of I-44 (take the Yale exit, turn left/south, I think it's on the west side of the road).  I've never eaten there, but I've heard rave reviews.

Mario's Pizza at 51st and Harvard is pretty good.  Take the Harvard exit, turn south. Turn east onto 51st street at the light (to avoid construction on Harvard).  Turn right into the shopping center at your choice of entrances (just don't go past the next light), and they're east of the Reasor's (that used to be a Food Pyramid and I think it was an Albertson's before that).  In that same shopping center (west of the Reasor's) is a sushi place called Osaka. I've never eaten there, though, so I can't speak for it.  I think there may be a couple of other food places in there, too.  There's also a Chili's, but Chili's sucks, so...

If you don't mind taking a bit of a jaunt off of I-44 and south on US-75 for a couple of miles, there are quite a few places in Tulsa Hills (take 71st street exit from 75, go east, turn into big shopping center).  A lot of it's nothing special.  There's Chik-Fil-A, McDonalds, another crappy Chili's that can't even make a hamburger to save it's life, another Buffalo Wild Wings, a Logan's Road House (don't eat there, if you really want steak, keep going down 75 to the 111th street exit, go south on it to 121st street, go through the light, and go to Santa Fe Cattle Co.), Subway, Smash Burger, stuff like that.  The real show in Tulsa Hills is Ted's (Ted's Cafe Escondido, but everyone just calls it "Ted's").  Pretty good Mexican food.

Once you get over into Town West, there's a couple of diners I've never tried, a Carl's Jr. that's pretty good, a Taco Bueno that's hit or miss, another McDonalds (because you can't escape the damn things), and I think the Wendy's is still open over there, but I can't be 100% sure.  There's also a couple of fireworks warehouses if you make it through in time for National Blow Stuff Up Day.  Much past that and I couldn't say unless you get off of I-44 and get on Route 66 (they split in Town West) and head for Sapulpa, which would be out of your way.  If you do that, though, hit up Hickory House BBQ.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
that's my neck of the woods.
Big Anthonys BBQ is east of 21st and Memorial.
excellent. one of the best in town.

Hideaway Pizza on Cherry Street.
get the Big Country- sub Italian Sausage for the Kabalsa.

White River Fish is on Sheridan up by the Airport.
not too shabby.

Speedy Gonzales
is on Memorial between 21 and 31st .
very good.

Rons' at 15th and Sheridan.
good burgers, chili and chicken.

Merritts on 15th is not open this week. bummer.

Albert G's on Harvard has some good BBQ.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the replies. As luck would have it the kids (7 years old) were starving and we ended up eating in Claremore. We are back to Tulsa for the drive home so I will reference the list.

The air and space museum was great. Small, but the boys loved it. The NG F16s put on a little air show as we were leaving.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#9]
the NG jets fly right over my business.
it sounds like FREEDOM.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if there is still a Charlie's Chicken in Claremore but they have awesome chicken chunks.  I think it's a relatively small chain, I wish like crazy there was around here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't know if there is still a Charlie's Chicken in Claremore but they have awesome chicken chunks.  I think it's a relatively small chain, I wish like crazy there was around here.
View Quote

claremore,theres never been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

really theres only a couple of decent resturants there now,nothing but fast food.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

really theres only a couple of decent resturants there now,nothing but fast food.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It used to be one of nicest small cities in Oklahoma (I went to college there) but I haven't been there in many years so I have no idea what it's like now.  I can't believe it's gone downhill that much.  What's the scoop?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Hideaway Pizza probably has the best Pizza I've ever had.  They have locations scattered around the State and several in the Tulsa area.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It used to be one of nicest small cities in Oklahoma (I went to college there) but I haven't been there in many years so I have no idea what it's like now.  I can't believe it's gone downhill that much.  What's the scoop?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

crime,corruption,jbts,a while back the city tried to sell the guns in the museum,till they found out they didn`t own them....

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And some of the worst drivers on the face of the planet...

There used to be an excellent BBQ place in Claremore called The Pits, though, and it was worth the trip.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
gone long ago...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There used to be an excellent BBQ place in Claremore called The Pits, though, and it was worth the trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I've eaten there many times, excellent ribs, sausage and pulled pork.  There was another BBQ place there also, can't remember the name but they had beef ribs in addition to the standard pork and they were AWESOME! Looked like something Fred Flintstone would have on his plate lol.  I've never found another place in my life that had beef ribs.  I had completely forgotten about that until just now.

I never heard about them trying to sell any of the J.M. Davis guns.  I remember a few years ago, they found a hundred something guns had been pilfered out of the collection since the 1960's.  They said it had to be people who worked there and had access to the guns but I never heard if they arrested anyone or tracked down any of the guns.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED going through that museum.  The collection of guns and other historical items in that building is absolutely mind blowing.  If I ever find myself near that part of the state, I'll make a beeline to the museum and then to Charlie's Chicken...nom nom nom chicken chunk dinner with mashed taters n' gravy and fried okra nom nom nom.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#20]
For you Tulsa guys who haven't tried it yet, go to Ri Le Vietnamese restaurant on SW 91st and Yale and order the Deluxe Bun Chao Gio.   If they bring you a small bowl of fish sauce, dump it in the main dish and stir it all up.  One of my favorite meals in the whole world!!!  I wasn't impressed with their stir-fry dishes but the fried springs rolls and deluxe bun chao gio are fantastic!

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hideaway Pizza probably has the best Pizza I've ever had.  They have locations scattered around the State and several in the Tulsa area.
View Quote

Love their pizza.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Love their pizza.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love their pizza.

Hmmm...I've never had Hideaway Pizza, is it a local OK chain restaurant or multi state?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top