Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2015 11:17:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Decent company with a variety of products, My only complaint is that won't let you come pick up your order if you live a block away

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Decent company with a variety of products, My only complaint is that won't let you come pick up your order if you live a block away

View Quote

Yes, If I could come pickup orders it would be a game changer...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a nice gig. Too bad I don't live closer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was a younger man I would be all over that job.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To add my personal comment...the ability to pick up an order would be a plus for those that live in central Oklahoma.
View Quote

Ditto

Its why I don't give them my business. Dumb business policy concerning locals is dumb.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely not a great way to get the locals on your side.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I always 'assumed' it was due to security reasons. Who knows. I thought we were all supposed to be trusting friends
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
put that arts or humanities degree to work for you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
That's great but if you're buying under $200 you still get hit on full price shipping which makes people a little bitter when it costs them almost nothing to pick it up.  Even if you are buying over $200, paying half price shipping when you could just pick it up for almost nothing doesn't make people around here want to buy as these folks mentioned.  

It's cool that you posted jobs here, you earn points for that but maybe reconsider the shipping policy? Just a suggestion, it's your business and you can run it any way you like.  Either way, I hope you guys are super successful
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Getting off topic here but we do offer Oklahoma residents 50% off regular shipping rates on orders over $200 making shipping costs minimal for most people in Oklahoma. While local storefront retail and pick-up options are not something that is practical for what we are doing, I would like to help a few more intelligent and hard working Oklahoman find profitable employment with good hours and a clean environment..

View Quote

Why would I want to pay 50% off shipping  when I could just drive and pick it up ?   I think you are missing the big picture and a lot of business. Paying sales tax and shipping makes no sense at all to me.  I order from places outside of Oklahoma in many cases because even with the shipping its cheaper and I do not pay sales tax.  

I think your business math needs to be checked again.  

Glad you are prospering and wanting to hire some warehouse staff . When you decide you want my ammo money let me know when I can come and pick up what I decide to purchase.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#13]
i don't have a dog in this hunt, i don't buy ammo, ever,but...

i totally see not having a storefront for people to "just drop in" and buy ammo.

if you have a storefront you have to pay someone to man said front, whether  there's customers or not.

is there enough local traffic (be honest, how many times a week are you and your friends gonna buy bullets?)  to pay someone $120 (15x8)  a day, every day , plus benefits, workmen's comp, etc. to sit on a chair just in CASE someone wants to stop in?

if you strip someone from another job to help a drop in that just slows down whatever he/she was doing, either production, stocking., shipping., bookkeeping, etc. which affects the bottom line adversely.

now i could see a "reserve" or "appointment" time when walk ins could be accommodated. say you buy something online and you can pick it up between X and Y, ( not Y:30 either). but again i see butthurt when someone misses their time by "only a few minutes".

when J&K had (maybe still does, IDK) their storefront in Moore (at the end of the building they make bullets in) it was rare that a person was in there, you had to get someone from downstream.

i get not having a will call.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't care if they have a storefront,  I can see why  they don't. But its just as easy to hand me those crates of ammo as it is the UPS guy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i don't have a dog in this hunt, i don't buy ammo, ever,but...
i totally see not having a storefront for people to "just drop in" and buy ammo.

if you have a storefront you have to pay someone to man said front, whether  there's customers or not.

is there enough local traffic (be honest, how many times a week are you and your friends gonna buy bullets?)  to pay someone $120 (15x8)  a day, every day , plus benefits, workmen's comp, etc. to sit on a chair just in CASE someone wants to stop in?

if you strip someone from another job to help a drop in that just slows down whatever he/she was doing, either production, stocking., shipping., bookkeeping, etc. which affects the bottom line adversely.

now i could see a "reserve" or "appointment" time when walk ins could be accommodated. say you buy something online and you can pick it up between X and Y, ( not Y:30 either). but again i see butthurt when someone misses their time by "only a few minutes".

when J&K had (maybe still does, IDK) their storefront in Moore (at the end of the building they make bullets in) it was rare that a person was in there, you had to get someone from downstream.

i get not having a will call.

View Quote

I wasn't talking about having a store front, just the ability for local folks to pick up ammo that they purchased online.  Choose the hypothetical "pick up locally" button when you purchase online, print off receipt, show receipt, pick up ammo.  No cash register needed.  Obviously, it's not quite that easy but it's not much harder either.  That is from my perspective of course, they may not want to deal with customers face to face at any level, which is their prerogative.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't care if they have a storefront,  I can see why  they don't. But its just as easy to hand me those crates of ammo as it is the UPS guy.
View Quote

pretty much this.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
First, I'm not here to promote SGAmmo in terms of selling goods, sales are something I have covered, the intention of this thread is to find AR15.com members or perhaps people they know in the Stillwater area in need of employment. I thought I would give this forum a crack at it since I am an industry partner and sponsor of AR15.com and its nice to find employees who are already knowledgeable about calibers and ammunition brands before they start.

I understand the desire for people to save on shipping. Unfortunately it is not practical to offer that option with our business model, which is an eCommerce store that performs a high volume / low margin & fast pace workflow that is designed to efficiently fill a large volume of orders into ready to ship packages and then onto a UPS semi-truck trailer on a daily basis. The transactions are conducted on an extremely low profit margin per transaction, typically 5% to 12% margin depending on the item so there is not a lot of profit in each sale and therefor the process must be efficient for the business to make a profit at the bottom line. The plus side is we make up for the low margins by conducting a large volume of sales, every week we ship about 4000 packages and some times up to 6000 on peak volume weeks, and volume is growing rapidly, thus the need for more humans working in the warehouse. It is more complicated than many people think to deal with walk ins / pick ups especially when we already have a lot going on. When comparing a uniform process where all orders ship UPS versus mixing the process up with walk-ins, pick ups, and shipping, it takes a lot more time to deal with each transaction, special processes for handling, sorting, separating and holding the orders and goods, dedicated staff dealing with people who walk in the door, and floor space, waiting rooms, restrooms, and added liability / risk of accidents in a workplace with heavy equipment in use and constant semi-truck traffic as well as other factors that are too much to list. Additionally once you open the doors anyone can walk in and keep in mind that there are large numbers of people that do not read or follow directions and want to push the limits of any rules that are in place, those are the people that really ruin the idea from being practical. I actually worked gunshows for 10 years from 2001 to 2011 so I've spent a lot of face to face time with clients in the past and I did enjoy it very much, but that was a much slower work pace and a very different type of business model. These days we like to keep our privacy there at the warehouse and maintain an orderly workflow without disruption so that we can continue the efficient business model that has brought us success and continue to put a paycheck into the hands of our employees, those employees yet to come, and the other local businesses that profit from their relationships with ours.
View Quote

Thanks for the great prices and shipping discount you offer.  I'll continue to buy from you guys and have no desire to pick-up locally when I can have a package shipped to my front door at a fair price.  I've been in the distribution business (electrical) most of my life and your explanation of your business model is spot on.  Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How much are you paying in gas to drive there and back home?

Unless you literally live a few miles from them, 50% off shipping is a good deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting off topic here but we do offer Oklahoma residents 50% off regular shipping rates on orders over $200 making shipping costs minimal for most people in Oklahoma. While local storefront retail and pick-up options are not something that is practical for what we are doing, I would like to help a few more intelligent and hard working Oklahoman find profitable employment with good hours and a clean environment..

Why would I want to pay 50% off shipping  when I could just drive and pick it up ?   I think you are missing the big picture and a lot of business. Paying sales tax and shipping makes no sense at all to me.  I order from places outside of Oklahoma in many cases because even with the shipping its cheaper and I do not pay sales tax.  

I think your business math needs to be checked again.  

Glad you are prospering and wanting to hire some warehouse staff . When you decide you want my ammo money let me know when I can come and pick up what I decide to purchase.

How much are you paying in gas to drive there and back home?

Unless you literally live a few miles from them, 50% off shipping is a good deal.

SG Ammo shopping cart just now.

Order total preview:
Subtotal:$339.80
UPS:$8.00
Subtotal excluding taxes:$347.80
Oklahoma Tax Rate:$18.90
Order total:$366.70

Ammo Man  

Subtotal  344  
Shipping FREE
Oklahoma Tax $0  

Order Total 344

and yes in a car that gets 40 MPG I do save money driving 52 miles to pick up that same case of ammo.  

No incentive to buy when I am forced pay sales tax and shipping even at $8

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
First, I'm not here to promote SGAmmo in terms of selling goods, sales are something I have covered, the intention of this thread is to find AR15.com members or perhaps people they know in the Stillwater area in need of employment. I thought I would give this forum a crack at it since I am an industry partner and sponsor of AR15.com and its nice to find employees who are already knowledgeable about calibers and ammunition brands before they start.

I understand the desire for people to save on shipping. Unfortunately it is not practical to offer that option with our business model, which is an eCommerce store that performs a high volume / low margin & fast pace workflow that is designed to efficiently fill a large volume of orders into ready to ship packages and then onto a UPS semi-truck trailer on a daily basis. The transactions are conducted on an extremely low profit margin per transaction, typically 5% to 12% margin depending on the item so there is not a lot of profit in each sale and therefor the process must be efficient for the business to make a profit at the bottom line. The plus side is we make up for the low margins by conducting a large volume of sales, every week we ship about 4000 packages and some times up to 6000 on peak volume weeks, and volume is growing rapidly, thus the need for more humans working in the warehouse. It is more complicated than many people think to deal with walk ins / pick ups especially when we already have a lot going on. When comparing a uniform process where all orders ship UPS versus mixing the process up with walk-ins, pick ups, and shipping, it takes a lot more time to deal with each transaction, special processes for handling, sorting, separating and holding the orders and goods, dedicated staff dealing with people who walk in the door, and floor space, waiting rooms, restrooms, and added liability / risk of accidents in a workplace with heavy equipment in use and constant semi-truck traffic as well as other factors that are too much to list. Additionally once you open the doors anyone can walk in and keep in mind that there are large numbers of people that do not read or follow directions and want to push the limits of any rules that are in place, those are the people that really ruin the idea from being practical. I actually worked gunshows for 10 years from 2001 to 2011 so I've spent a lot of face to face time with clients in the past and I did enjoy it very much, but that was a much slower work pace and a very different type of business model. These days we like to keep our privacy there at the warehouse and maintain an orderly workflow without disruption so that we can continue the efficient business model that has brought us success and continue to put a paycheck into the hands of our employees, those employees yet to come, and the other local businesses that profit from their relationships with ours.
View Quote

As another member already stated whats the difference between handing a parcel at the dock to the UPS guy or to me?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I use SG ammo every chance I get. Sometimes they don't have the ammunition I'm looking for so I have to shop elsewhere, but I have always been satisfied with the service that I get from them. If I had my best wishes, they would have a storefront that we could pick ammo up at. BUT having said that, I will keep shopping with them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Of course that's considering that you would want to do business with Ammoman, who is a known flat out crook, who was kicked off this board for cheating members, misrepresenting the merchandise he was selling, and is an obnoxious ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SG Ammo shopping cart just now.

Order total preview:
Subtotal:$339.80
UPS:$8.00
Subtotal excluding taxes:$347.80
Oklahoma Tax Rate:$18.90
Order total:$366.70

Ammo Man  

Subtotal  344  
Shipping FREE
Oklahoma Tax $0  

Order Total 344

and yes in a car that gets 40 MPG I do save money driving 52 miles to pick up that same case of ammo.  

No incentive to buy when I am forced pay sales tax and shipping even at $8

Of course that's considering that you would want to do business with Ammoman, who is a known flat out crook, who was kicked off this board for cheating members, misrepresenting the merchandise he was selling, and is an obnoxious ass.

You make a valid point with your observations, however the point I was trying to make is a valid one , and there are other ammo suppliers that offer free shipping as well and I still do not pay sales tax.

ETA Target Sports 1000 round case of PMC  223  334.50  with free shipping   to account for the Ammo man observations  

I stand by my point that its enough of a difference in cost with sales tax , and shipping that I do not benefit from such a transaction.  Again my fuel cost to go there and back is less than the shipping, plus I might want to go grab lunch while I am in Stillwater.  

No one said that he needed to have a store front, just let me pick my ammo up after placing the order online , there is NO functional difference between SGAmmo handing packages to the UPS man or to me EXCEPT that I get it that day.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As another member already stated whats the difference between handing a parcel at the dock to the UPS guy or to me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They load them into trailers in large numbers. 6,000 packages a week is over 1,000 packages an hour. That's not handing it to the UPS guy, that's running dozens and dozens of packages down a belt and forklift loads at a time. That's why he's making it clear the job isn't easy, they bust it to get orders out like they do.

Sam, thank you for letting us know. An air conditioned job would sure be nice but I'm out of your area. Working for you would be rough anyways, I'd be surrounded by temptation all day and I need to keep some pay to eat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump for a good business.
I wish you guys were in Tulsa, I would send a couple of my boys over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top