Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:49:27 PM EDT
My brother has a friend who wants to get into guns. They're in norman and I'm trying to talk him into checking out some stores with me in the morning. Anyone have any recommendations in the area?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My brother has a friend who wants to get into guns. They're in norman and I'm trying to talk him into checking out some stores with me in the morning. Anyone have any recommendations in the area?
View Quote

Sooner Gold and Pawn is a good place to start. Also 7 Element at 225 Broadway in Noble Moore. That's a vet owned business.

ETA Oops. Moore.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
7th Element is in Moore, address is right.

Harsh Firearms is in north Norman, but they SEEM to be pretty high end uber tacticool.(maybe just his cup o' tea, though)

Mark's in Moore is as good as it gets for one stop shopping, but he's closed on Saturdays.

Farther North opens up more options, stay away from Gun World.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Once in north of Moore I know of a few more shops, might bring him to the Mustang area. I'm really not sure what he's wanting so might just let him shoot my collection to let him see what he likes. Said he wanted a .243, but to me that's an unusual caliber to start on... But I like black rifles. ??
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:57:11 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Dave at 7 Element in Moore.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Once in north of Moore I know of a few more shops, might bring him to the Mustang area. I'm really not sure what he's wanting so might just let him shoot my collection to let him see what he likes. Said he wanted a .243, but to me that's an unusual caliber to start on... But I like black rifles. ??
View Quote

That's probably the best idea, the .243 is a great deer and below caliber but it seems best suited for kids and beginners with recoil fear.  It's a great caliber for anyone in addition to having others in your collection but when looking for a first "do it all" caliber, there are much better choices.  The .308 and .30-06 are my top choices for a north American do it all caliber, with my preference being the .30-06 because it's ability to load significantly heavier bullets, just in case you get the chance at elk, moose, etc..  The .308 can certainly handle those but there's no arguing the advantage of heavier bullets in such a case.  Between the two it's really just a case of personal preference.

I'm a huge fan of the Savage 16/116 line of rifles, top of the chart accuracy and, by far, the most affordable in it's class.  They are consistently ranked first or second as the most accurate "out of the box".  The rifle that always ranks first or second with the Savage is the Weatherby Vanguard II which is significantly more expensive.  I've shot the Savage 116 my entire rifle owning life and they are easily the best bang for the buck, with the advantage of being extremely well made.  If he considers one, make sure he gets a later model with the Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top