Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 8:59:02 PM EDT
Anyone know if they still have Trapdoor matches there?  I found this on the Trapdoor Collector website but I'm assuming it's fairly old info.

"The monthly matches at OKCGC are held on the 2nd. Sunday of the month March thru November. The temp. in the AM (around 9:00 to 10:00) must be over 50 degrees or very close to it. Also, in the very early & later months the sun is lower in the sky & the targets do not show up well. Our range faces to the North. The October match had about 30 participants. The web site is: www.OKCGUNCLUB.org"

The OKCGC website doesn't show anything about trapdoor matches so I'm guessing they don't do that anymore but I thought I would ask here since we have a few OKCGC members here.

I've been itching to learn more about how to shoot the gun using the Buffington sight.  I've read quite a bit about them but it's hard to understand without hands on trigger time.  All I know is the gradients on the sight have little to do with the real life ballistics so you have to figure out where the gun shoots and writing it down in a DOPE book.  I've shot it once, with the help of Dan who made some ammo for me and walked us through shooting and caring for a BP cartridge rifle.  I am absolutely in love with the rifle, it's look and feel excudes history.  It just looks and feels incredible...hard to describe but you all that have owned the "old west" era rifles like trapdoors, rolling blocks and Sharps know what I mean.  I don't have the space to put a reload station, nor can I afford to buy the equipment so I'm relegated to commercially made low pressure .45-70.  I may have to do some trading to get the ammo though because I am one seriously broke individual.  Physically and monetarily lol.  Anywho...I got an itch that needs scratchin' and it's name is SPRINGFIELD TRAPDOOR CARBINE!!!!

GET SOME!!! GET SOME!!!!

Seriously, get some Trapdoor's so I can have peeps to shoot with!!  I have a Sharps carbine on my wish list should I ever get another income of some kind.  It'll be a modern built model to handle modern ammo though.  Perhaps Pedersoli or should I win the lottery...the big kahunas...Shiloh Sharps or C. Sharps.  Until then I'm perfectly happy to plink away with my vintage 1873 Springfield.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to talk to Dan. He told me he is into single shots in a big way.
I've wanted a Shiloh Sharps for some time but little things like buying a Galil pop up just when I'm ready to get one.
H&R made a Springfield 1873 for a brief period. I found one but didn't have the cash at the time. It was gone before I could back to get it.
One of the docs that works with my wife has several Sharps rifles but does not shoot them.
He is a big Quigley Down Under fan!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those darn things kick too hard!

Reckon someone will bring one out in 22 Long Rifle before too long?
View Quote

Believe it or not but they do make Sharps rifles in .22LR....it's bizarre.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone heard from Sumo?  I've not seen him on here in a loooong time.  I remember he was into the old BP cartridge guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone heard from Sumo?  I've not seen him on here in a loooong time.  I remember he was into the old BP cartridge guns.
View Quote

Did you run him off too?
Here is a H&R Springfield up for sale.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/H-R-SPRINGFIELD-MODEL-1873-TRAP-DOOR.cfm?gun_id=100492873
The pawn shop that had the one I wanted was $900.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did you run him off too?
http://www.gunsinternational.com/H-R-SPRINGFIELD-MODEL-1873-TRAP-DOOR.cfm?gun_id=100492873
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you run him off too?

Dang, that is pricey.  Since it's NIB and no longer made, that one is better left as is.  The original Springfield's are really getting expensive, glad I got mine a few years ago.  I'll have to sell both kidney's and half a liver to afford a Shiloh Sharps or C. Sharps but it'll be worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top