Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an absolute blast.  Lots of heat casualties, but the organizers made sure everyone was taken care of if they started feeling ill.  I felt ok after I finished, but I only did a 5K.  In case you missed it, one of the RO's ran the 10k twice the day before. That's a man, right there.

I can't say enough about how well run this event was and how generous the hosts were.  Absolutely a great experience.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I was one of the heat casualties. I had to DQ at stage 4 (10k). Couldn't go anymore. On the ride back, I started vomiting and my limbs went numb.  It wasn't a fun experience.

I learned a lot about myself and what I need to do next time. I am for sure going to do it again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was one of the heat casualties. I had to DQ at stage 4 (10k). Couldn't go anymore. On the ride back, I started vomiting and my limbs went numb.  It wasn't a fun experience.

I learned a lot about myself and what I need to do next time. I am for sure going to do it again.
View Quote
It was nasty out there, so it's good you had the presence of mind to know when you'd reached your limit.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Cool
Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
You wife didn't look too thrilled , assuming that was you. Glad you're ok. No way I could have attempted 10 K. Barely finished the 5K after carrying that can up the hill at stage 5. Only thing that saved me was resting in the shade (hour backup there after an M1 took out the target)

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, the backup at the hill definitely helped.  I was pretty tired by the time I got the can to the flagpole, but then I had a half hour wait.  By that time I was pretty well refreshed so I was able to shoot stage 5 and run back to the finish line at a pretty good pace.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Sucked because I know I won a couple of major awards but had to roll out of there early. What did you get for the headshot?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sucked because I know I won a couple of major awards but had to roll out of there early. What did you get for the headshot?
View Quote
A patch and your name announced to everyone.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It was nasty out there, so it's good you had the presence of mind to know when you'd reached your limit.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. The heat was definitely the enemy.
I started the 10k pretty early (first few shooters), but still struggled with it. Ended up needing all 100oz in my camelback.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You wife didn't look too thrilled , assuming that was you. Glad you're ok. No way I could have attempted 10 K. Barely finished the 5K after carrying that can up the hill at stage 5. Only thing that saved me was resting in the shade (hour backup there after an M1 took out the target)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife wasn't impressed. She also knows I'm not one to quit because I'm tired. I wanted to keep going, but my body shut me down.

I also had a 48 hour stomach bug hit me on Wednesday and I was almost better on Friday, so that didn't help me at all.

The staff there is great. Matthew has contacted me and made sure I was still doing ok after I went home. The land owner offered their camper and house for me and my family to stay in if I didn't think I could make the 3 hour drive back to woodward.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Winter 2016 Run n' Gun is set for January 23. I may have to cut my SHOT show trip a day short this year.

Better get started training now!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
My son was lucky and got in on standby.  This is the first time he's run this event and had an absolute blast running the 5k.  Anyone know if there will be any sort of photo dump online?  I'd love it if there were an action pic or two of the kid from the actual shooting stations or maybe running the obstacles/course.  

Many thanks to the land-owner(s) and all the folks who made this happen!

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks for sharing.
I've already started training for January's shoot. My friends and I will be watching the website for an announcement of when sign-ups start.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Celtic Creations Photography has started posting some pics to her facebook page.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]
We're starting to toss around the idea of putting on one of these up in Nebraska.  I would love to see events like this all over.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We're starting to toss around the idea of putting on one of these up in Nebraska.  I would love to see events like this all over.
View Quote

These events are hugely popular. The organizers limit the number of participants in the Pawnee event and it sells out quickly with a waiting list.

They are tricky to set up and you have to have quite a bit of land to do it right. But run properly, they are challenging and fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
These events are hugely popular. The organizers limit the number of participants in the Pawnee event and it sells out quickly with a waiting list.

They are tricky to set up and you have to have quite a bit of land to do it right. But run properly, they are challenging and fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems to me that the hardest part would be finding enough volunteers.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the Pawnee organizers use about 25-30 volunteers. This last event, they limited it to 90 participants.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Yeah, that's about the number I figured we would need.  I figure we can pretty much copy everything they do in Pawnee since their event runs nice and smooth.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top