User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm glad you said rain. I first took it as you having a dry spell at your favorite truck stop!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I`ve gotten a 1/10 of inch of rain,so far

I'm glad you said rain. I first took it as you having a dry spell at your favorite truck stop!

You sure talk about the truck stop a lot, fond memories?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yea he`s married now,but he confessed those were the best of times....  
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
yea he`s married now,but he confessed those were the best of times....  
View Quote

Only when you were there sweetheart!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
only cause I`m so pretty
it was the most disappointing 30seconds of my life...
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
only cause I`m so pretty

it was the most disappointing 30seconds of my life...
View Quote

It might have disappointed you but it was wonderful for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
All this pillow talk is making me queasy
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
And the home town forum strikes again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You haven't been here lately. Business good at the truck stop?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, they all wanted you but you were nowhere to be found
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all wanted me because I was using your name. You have one hell of a national reputation there darling!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
but it's wacky and zany like it used to be!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I see the grab ass game is still going strong. I think I can hide for another few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#17]
yea I think we need to move all the grabassery to one thread,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_25/569752_Man_the_okhtf_is_jumping_.html

to make the elitist members happy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
yea I think we need to move all the grabassery to one thread,
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_25/569752_Man_the_okhtf_is_jumping_.html
to make the elitist members happy.
View Quote

By elitist, you mean the trannies that go to the truck stop after 2 AM?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
bazinga....  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Am I the only one getting annoyed with the intervals that the tornado sirens are being blasted at? Seems like every 15 to 30 minutes they go off
View Quote

fwiw, here'a  article in the Gazette about that very thing.

http://okgazette.com/2015/05/08/why-do-storm-sirens-go-off-so-often/

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I the only one getting annoyed with the intervals that the tornado sirens are being blasted at? Seems like every 15 to 30 minutes they go off

Ya I get that but when the "new" threat is only 15 minutes after the previous threat... Kind of overkill.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ya I get that but when the "new" threat is only 15 minutes after the previous threat... Kind of overkill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When these kinds of storms turn tornadic in the blink of an eye, it's not overkill, it's responsible.  They had 12-15 tornado touchdowns in that single storm wave.  The storms moved across the city and dropped tornadoes willy nilly as they went.  They can't just start the sirens at the first tornado and then keep them going after that tornado lifts because another might come down.  Until a tornado forms we operate under a "watch" which just means conditions are favorable but once a twister forms a tornado warning is issued and that triggers the sirens.  There is no way to predict when or where a tornado will form in the storm until it happens.  When the tornado lifts the threat of that tornado is over and it's back to a "watch" instead of a "warning" so the sirens stop.  If another tornado drops it all starts again.  Other than just running the sirens after a tornado forms and then ends until the entire storm is out of the area, which would piss everyone off, or not sounding them at all, there is no other option.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey...speaking of tornadoes, here we go again!!!

I'm really starting to think somebody of the omnipotent type is really, really, really unhappy with this state.  Who can blame said all powerful being, even I don't care for how our politicians behave.

Strap your helmets on tight folks!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#24]
jump in your fraidy hole peoples here we go again
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]
All over for central OK, east Oklahoma's turn!
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#27]
They called one in my back yard just a few minutes ago, NE of broken Arrow. It would have been rain wrapped if there was anything there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#28]
yeppers heard one go kinda over my head last night close enough to hear the skytrain.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When these kinds of storms turn tornadic in the blink of an eye, it's not overkill, it's responsible.  They had 12-15 tornado touchdowns in that single storm wave.  The storms moved across the city and dropped tornadoes willy nilly as they went.  They can't just start the sirens at the first tornado and then keep them going after that tornado lifts because another might come down.  Until a tornado forms we operate under a "watch" which just means conditions are favorable but once a twister forms a tornado warning is issued and that triggers the sirens.  There is no way to predict when or where a tornado will form in the storm until it happens.  When the tornado lifts the threat of that tornado is over and it's back to a "watch" instead of a "warning" so the sirens stop.  If another tornado drops it all starts again.  Other than just running the sirens after a tornado forms and then ends until the entire storm is out of the area, which would piss everyone off, or not sounding them at all, there is no other option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brandi, all you're doing is preaching to the choir. I've lived here my whole life, I know the song and dance all to well. I think what's happening is you're missing my point. When a new tornado is formed or drops down withing minutes of the previous one, any person with a brain is still taking cover. As wingman had noted, bow the sirens to many times and they get ignored. This siren play didn't happen for may 3rd nor may 20th of 13. Now all of a sudden we get so much as a hook echo and the sirens blast, actual tornado or not.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#30]
am i the only one wanting to make a joke about blowing the sirens?
just tying it in to the truck stops and all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

am i the only one wanting to make a joke about blowing the sirens?just tying it in to the truck stops and all.

View Quote

nope i was waiting for daa9mm to pipe in but I guess the nado or the bangers got him or hes still tied up in a mens room bathroom...  

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They are crying WOLF way too often, people are already starting to ignore the sirens, they have gone way overboard.  Tonight they blew the sirens when the NWS said there was the "possibility" of a tornado over at Macomb, that's 19 miles away, NOT even coming towards Shawnee, and it wasn't even stormy here is Shawnee.  They blew them again a few minutes later for the "possibility" of a tornado over by Seminole, 15 to 20 miles away and moving away from us, the stupidity is incredible.

I was involved with storm spotting for many years, a certified, trained tornado spotter, a tornado or funnel needed to be verified, a SOLID hook echo or reported by a trained spotter within a couple of miles of town before we blew the sirens, blow them too often and they will ignore them, that gets people killed.  BTW, back then I was usually the guy that made the decision to blow the sirens (or not) in Shawnee.
View Quote

bingo,

my wife and son are now totally immune to the sirens.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Brandi, all you're doing is preaching to the choir. I've lived here my whole life, I know the song and dance all to well. I think what's happening is you're missing my point. When a new tornado is formed or drops down withing minutes of the previous one, any person with a brain is still taking cover. As wingman had noted, bow the sirens to many times and they get ignored. This siren play didn't happen for may 3rd nor may 20th of 13. Now all of a sudden we get so much as a hook echo and the sirens blast, actual tornado or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not seen that happen once and I'm glued to the TV and radars every time.  I am speaking of Oklahoma county though, more specifically OKC, I have no idea what's going on in surrounding counties or cities where local officials are in charge of activating the sirens.  The tornado when the NWS didn't sound the sirens was a clusterfrick, the NWS called it a straight line wind event because it didn't show up as a tornado on their data, all while the local news are showing the tornado live.  The sirens absolutely should have been sounded in that case but in OKC it's the NWS issue of a tornado warning that activates the sirens, not the local news or city officials and the sirens will sound at any verified tornado in the Oklahoma county.

The last event, the one we are discussing, was far from "minutes apart" in OKC.  While the tornadoes were "close" to each other timewise when compared to most storms, it wasn't a few minutes apart.  The tornadoes in this case were forming from multiple hooks of the same storm line.  At last count, that I read anyway, there were 12-15 tornadoes from that one storm line.  There wasn't a single time when the sirens went off that a tornado wasn't verified.  Yeah, it seemed like a lot of off and on sirens to those of us not in the path but that's just because we weren't even getting rained on.  It was annoying as hell to me, especially when my home alarm chirps constantly every time the NWS issues a tornado warning but the sirens weren't going off unless the NWS issued a tornado warning and each one was verified.  

There's no way to appease the folks who aren't in the path of a tornado when the sirens activate.  If you activate the sirens when a tornado warning is issued and just keep sounding it because the storm might spawn another tornado, everyone gets pissed off.  If you wait to sound the sirens until a tornado warning is issued and then turn it off when the tornado lifts and then turn it on when the next tornado forms, everyone gets pissed off.  It's all well and good when it's a storm that drops a single tornado and then moves on but that's rare storm in Oklahoma.  What would you have them do?

As I said, I'm speaking from an OKC residents standpoint, I have no idea what goes on in areas where the sirens are activated by city officials.  I watched that last storm intensely and where I live, the sirens were activated properly.  People in Oklahoma City rarely take cover just because the sirens are going off because the sirens across the county activate on each warning.  When the tornado warnings cross into south Oklahoma county the sirens are going off here on the north side of the county where there's no danger at all.  Anyone with a brain knows that each time the siren activates, a NEW tornado has formed so instead of crawling out of your hidey hole because the tornado you were hiding from has dissipated (you know this because the sirens have stopped), you now know the danger isn't over and to stay in the hole. It's easy to understand... siren = tornado has formed, no siren = tornado has dissipated.  So far, nobody, not even the NWS, can predict when a tornado will form, only when the conditions are favorable so what should they do?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't care what happens outside Ok County, hell I live in the center of Ok county. I heard the same sirens you did but it seems like I heard a few more than you might have. Im one of thousands if not tens of thousands of residents who have no storm shelter (yet) and my eyes are on the news to see where things are goings because of that.

But Im seeing that neither of us are getting out point across so Im going to agree to disagree. I know full well that Midwest and Del Cities are in Ok county also.

Again, my whole life has been lived here (obviously not the 4 years I was enlisted) so I know these storms as well as the next Okie and I know what to expect, that tornados are unpredictable in what path that they choose to take but I also understand that terrain dictates where they will go too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
for the record Del City sounded their sirens continuously, when they stopped, it was safe to BBQ.

i have no idea what their (our) criteria is for sounding,(and it's almost certainly the Fire Dept that pulls the switch)  probably higher than "lookout", but they  stayed on for at least an hour.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#37]
meh. who gives a shit, not like anybody can change the course of weather coming in.

place I work damn near everybody in the place gets timid as hell soon as the clouds darken a bit, and down right shaky as hell soon as thunder rumbles and the wind picks up a bit, I just kick back, light another cigarette, drink coffee and laugh my fat ass off at them, thing that pisses me off is when I have to go out in the rain, it puts my cigarette out
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#39]
And just about any emergency manager these days and most, if not all, will tell you the same thing...

They would take down every single siren if they could because you're damned if you do and damned if you don't and it's usually the former
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That's like the idiots here closed most of the public shelters, their reasoning was that it was too dangerous for people to get in their cars and drive there. OK, I understand that, in our training it was always emphasized that the absolute worst place to be in a tornado was in a car, its even worse than a mobile home, so I can see the point that they shouldn't wait till the storm was on top of them before they left, that isn't a good reason to deny shelter to the people who are smart enough to get to the shelters early enough to be safe.
View Quote

not everyone's shut down their shelters.

from the article:

"I'll be surprised if we couldn't fit the entire population of El Reno in just our storm shelters alone,” McVay said.

3 feet of concrete would make a fella feel safe.(unless it caved in)
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#43]
gonna be sloppy at Banner in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a tornado to east of the store this evening, did not touch down but a co worker who lives in that area said he watched it try 3 times to touch down before it headed north across the river and hit there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#46]
perfect morning at the range, no wind, no yahoos (never is at 8 am, but still..)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#47]
My aunt and Uncle had a real Nice underground cellar out at White face Texas. Along comes a Tornado about 3 weeks after they put it in. Well luckily they were down the road visiting neighbors and went to their shelter. The tornado picks up a trailer house from down the road and stuffs it in their nice new cellar. If it wants you, I think it will get you. Oh it only took a few shingles off their house. Kinda like on the news the other night leveled a home but left the rose bush with a robins nest in it and did not touch the eggs.

We live far enough out we don't hear any sirens but we get the text alerts. I think we broke 20" of rain for the month of May.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top