Posted: 3/25/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
We have touchdown!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
who's playin?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope no one gets any damage from this. Looks bad in OKC right now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Bunch of guys live down by Earlywine Park in OKC. Hope they are Ok.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
one passed north of me by a few miles and also one south by a few miles,I was eating toast just to let everyone know
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Tornado hit Moore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that sucked.  Hope everyone is ok down in Moore and up in Tulsa.

I frickin HATE THIS CRAP!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tornado hit Moore.
View Quote

Kind of a given. If there's any tornadic activity in the state I just assume one hit Moore.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
first it was a rumor, but a engineer friend of mine confirmed that 2 of the 3 towers at the old KOMA/KRXO station on 4th are on the ground.
there's enough field and cemetery around, hope no one got squished.

THERE'S the end of a era!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
first it was a rumor, but a engineer friend of mine confirmed that 2 of the 3 towers at the old KOMA/KRXO station on 4th are on the ground. there's enough field and cemetery around, hope no one got squished.

View Quote

Yeah, I saw that during the tornado on TV.  Two of them broke halfway down at the point just above where the ground cables attach.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, that's two tornados I've lucked out on since moving to Moore in March of 2013.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, I saw that during the tornado on TV.  Two of them broke halfway down at the point just above where the ground cables attach.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
first it was a rumor, but a engineer friend of mine confirmed that 2 of the 3 towers at the old KOMA/KRXO station on 4th are on the ground. there's enough field and cemetery around, hope no one got squished.

Wow, just saw this on the news just now.   So surprised they survived '13 since that tornado went right by them.   Insane seeing two down and one dangling halfway.  Definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere near them as they were coming down, especially with all those steel cables.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
oddly enough (to me) the consensus among the engineers  say replacement's on the table

i'da bet against it, it supported a AM sports talk station.

towers (masts) are becoming more obsolete by the day, KWTV just pulled down their namesake (K-  Worlds - Tallest- Video) for a while the tallest structure on Earth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
From what Im hearing, the NWS in Norman dropped the ball pretty hard yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I suspect there were a few very sore arses at the NWS, maybe a demotion or two.  I think whoever was tasked with that job should be fired, it's not a clerical error, peoples lives depend on them being on the ball.  They sure looked like fools and really hope someone pays dearly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I live on the block of the touchdown.  Thankfully my wife has a sixth sense about these things (she saved half my family on the 20th) and made us get in the shelter.  I was dicking around when I heard that the tornado was by westmoore Hs, at that point I dropped the computer and dove into the shelter.  The official warning went out after the tornado had passed.  I should know better than to trust dr forbes, the media, and the nws,  from now on clouds mean start getting ready.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#17]
nws really screwed the pooch,but from now on for quite a while,yall will be like us up here,lowhanging cloud in the next county and they sound the sirens and tell ya run for the hidie hole.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
nws really screwed the pooch,but from now on for quite a while,yall will be like us up here,lowhanging cloud in the next county and they sound the sirens and tell ya run for the hidie hole.
View Quote

Ha ha. Here where I live if we set the sirens off you'd better get underground ASAP. We don't want people to get complacent did to overuse but we also have to make sure people have enough time. It's actually pretty stressful.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Its gotta be an embarrassment when David Payne and Mike Morgan, their storm chasers and even cops are saying there are tornados on the deck and not one single siren is sounded nor warning issued until its right on top of an area or already being hit. If this is how they plan to operate this year, Im not going to trust a damn thing the NWS issues... Not that I put much stock in to what they say anyway.

ETA: You're right though, its hard for them to have dropped the ball... when they never picked it up
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]
At the exact same time that KFOR, and probably the others, are showing a tornado chewing it's way through Moore, the NWS tweeted that "there is NO tornado and the damage reports are just straight line winds".  Uh huh, ok.  

Last I saw this afternoon they were still denying they made any kind of error.  That approach may work for politicians but it won't work for the NWS...the people will have someones a$$.  They definitely need to do some retraining.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Round 2.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#24]
i know a lots o' people in the path of this one, (Bridge Creek, Newcastle, Norman) fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, just missed that shit show by a few miles. I am down in Norman. Stay safe out there and I hope everyone is ok if you were in the path.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, just missed that shit show by a few miles. I am down in Norman. Stay safe out there and I hope everyone is ok if you were in the path.
View Quote

Far south Norman here.  We didn't even get any rain.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I am off of the I-35/Robinson shopping area. I'm getting ready to sublease a gal's house over the summer and she is from VA. I asked her if I she was in her tornado shelter that she purchased when she moved out here and if I could bring my deposit/rent check over. She told me she thought it would be best to stay off the roads for now. LOL I told her we are fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
weather guys are getting overwhelmed, 2 more coming up I-44, and one headed for me (del city), they're talking about Canton, now.

just spare Banner this time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Stay safe, from Florida.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys keep an eye out. It's not over yet it looks like.......

I grew up in Lawton, and live in Texas now. I still feel for you guys when these damn things go dragging across the landscape. I've watched the KFOR live feed all afternoon.

I worked the aftermath of many storms when I lived up there. I hope all of you and yours come out safe on the other side of this!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I blame I-44
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I blame I-44
View Quote

Could be, we get a lot of storms that build up over I 75.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Feeling the hail now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Am I the only one getting annoyed with the intervals that the tornado sirens are being blasted at? Seems like every 15 to 30 minutes they go off
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Am I the only one getting annoyed with the intervals that the tornado sirens are being blasted at? Seems like every 15 to 30 minutes they go off
View Quote

Its an annoyance I can live with.  Gotta remember the sirens go off for every tornado warning in the county so it might be clear on the north side while folks on the south side of the county are getting twisted.  The storms tonight were spinning up and then petering out quickly so there were multiple warnings issued instead of one big storm.  I doubt the folks on the south side were that annoyed.  What IS annoying is the beeping my house alarm does with every tornado warning because I can't turn it off until after the warning expires.

Sirens going off again...
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are not the only one
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At the exact same time that KFOR, and probably the others, are showing a tornado chewing it's way through Moore, the NWS tweeted that "there is NO tornado and the damage reports are just straight line winds".  Uh huh, ok.  

Last I saw this afternoon they were still denying they made any kind of error.  That approach may work for politicians but it won't work for the NWS...the people will have someones a$$.  They definitely need to do some retraining.
View Quote

What happened with the 3/25 tornado is that the cold front occulded and kinked and a storm overtook that kink and the tornado formed ground up instead of cloud down. That's why spotters had it on the ground when NWS didnt see anything with the RADAR.

Remember, radar cant see worth a damn below like 3500 feet
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What happened with the 3/25 tornado is that the cold front occulded and kinked and a storm overtook that kink and the tornado formed ground up instead of cloud down. That's why spotters had it on the ground when NWS didnt see anything with the RADAR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be but it doesn't matter.  The NWS was telling people there was no tornado and they didn't issue a tornado warning and all the secondary warning systems that are set to be triggered by the NWS tornado warnings were not activated even remotely close to when they were needed.  The NWS was fully aware that storm spotters had reported a tornado on the ground and it was being televized live on all local stations when the NWS denied the existence of a tornado and, instead, attributed the reports of damage to straight line winds.  They ignored the massive amount of irrefutable evidence from other sources, including the meteorologists that were contacting them and did not activate the sirens because their "data" did not show a tornado.  I don't give a rats ass if their data said it was straight line winds, the actual tornado outside chewing through the city overrides all of that.  They screwed up, plain and simple.

All that said, hopefully they learned a good lesson so it never happens again, they are a very valuable resource and when they have their stuff together they are very good at what they do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#39]
well it's off into a brave new world.
we'll see what wonders await.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

well it's off into a brave new world.we'll see what wonders await.

View Quote

say hi to dorthy and toto,and stay away from flying monkees.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#41]
wow looking at the radar looks like round 3
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#43]
yea maybe yall should just abandon that part of the state,give it back to the buffalo...  

too many naders and quakes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Its an annoyance I can live with.  Gotta remember the sirens go off for every tornado warning in the county so it might be clear on the north side while folks on the south side of the county are getting twisted.  The storms tonight were spinning up and then petering out quickly so there were multiple warnings issued instead of one big storm.  I doubt the folks on the south side were that annoyed.  What IS annoying is the beeping my house alarm does with every tornado warning because I can't turn it off until after the warning expires.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I know many people at work that live on the south side, I also have family on the south side and even THEY were annoyed by the 15 minute interval. I understand how they are set up and that Midwest and Del cities are still in Ok county, but Im pretty sure that that maybe two soundings of the sirens from the first warning should suffice. If need be, once another is recognized than blare them again. But to blare them every time a cloud makes a counter clockwise rotation? But Ive only lived here my whole life... Im not as smart as the NWS and their infinite wisdom
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I`ve gotten a 1/10 of inch of rain,so far
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Today I met a Swiss couple doing the 66 bike ride/tour thing and asked them if they were going to stick around and try to see a tornado. They stated that they intended to stay far away from them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bicycle or motorcycle?

Not that it matters that much, riding in the rain sucks, riding in thunderstorms sucks even more.  I've ridden in more thunderstorms than I ever want to, when you are riding cross country you just can't stop every time ir rains.  One particularly bad thunderstorm was between Moab Utah and Grand Junction Colorado, raining so hard you had to slow down to about 5 mph on the interstate, barely able to see the center line on the pavement to follow the road, and one wind gust that darn near blew me off the road, easily a 60 mph gust.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Today I met a Swiss couple doing the 66 bike ride/tour thing and asked them if they were going to stick around and try to see a tornado. They stated that they intended to stay far away from them.

Bicycle or motorcycle?

Not that it matters that much, riding in the rain sucks, riding in thunderstorms sucks even more.  I've ridden in more thunderstorms than I ever want to, when you are riding cross country you just can't stop every time ir rains.  One particularly bad thunderstorm was between Moab Utah and Grand Junction Colorado, raining so hard you had to slow down to about 5 mph on the interstate, barely able to see the center line on the pavement to follow the road, and one wind gust that darn near blew me off the road, easily a 60 mph gust.

Motorcycle. I see them regularly traveling 66, I think it's a fairly popular deal for tourists. I've seen quite a few Swiss or Swedish flags adorning their motorcades. This couple was stopped to get a bite so I said hello and talked to them a while. I'm the guy that strikes up a conversation with anyone who wants to talk.

As for bikes and rain, nope. I don't even have a bicycle much less a motorcycle.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I`ve gotten a 1/10 of inch of rain,so far
View Quote

I'm glad you said rain. I first took it as you having a dry spell at your favorite truck stop!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#50]
well that too....  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top