Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 4:24:24 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I want to go do some shooting sometime on public lands.  Where is a good place in central Oklahoma (I live in Yukon) to go shooting that doesn't violate any laws.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The only place I know of is the range on the Lexington WMA, you do have to have a valid OK hunting license though or no pew pew pew.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Canton Lake has a WMA range as well.  Well, I assume they still have it. Haven't been there since 2005.  Might be closer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I just don't get it. We own more guns than any other state in the country, but we have some of the crappiest, most expensive ranges. It seems like our tax dollars should buy us a place to shoot guns legally without having to sell a kidney. Ammo is expensive enough without having to pay absurd range fees.

There's an outdoor range between Yukon and El Reno, assuming it's still there. It's pretty terrible, but a day pass is only ten bucks. It's also a hundred yards, which probably makes it the longest range in the OKC area. The old guy who owns it is pretty grumpy. No rapid fire (meaning 2 full seconds in between shots, even on the pistol range), no class III, no shotguns, no fun. The only bonus is you can shoot steel ammo to your heart's content.

There's a gun club I went to with a friend way out in the boondocks, somewhere NE of Edmond. It's pretty nice and the fees are very reasonable, but it's just so far away from me. You do have to volunteer to work once or twice a year, like mowing the weeds and stuff, but that's to be expected since it doesn't cost much. I don't know what their rules are though.

The WMA range is okay, but it's one hell of a drive to get out there from Yukon. They have about a 75ish yard range and an area just for skeet, which is nice. Just don't wear sandals or flip flops; the broken glass out there is about ankle deep. You have to bring your own target setup, no steel allowed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just don't get it. We own more guns than any other state in the country, but we have some of the crappiest, most expensive ranges. It seems like our tax dollars should buy us a place to shoot guns legally without having to sell a kidney. Ammo is expensive enough without having to pay absurd range fees.

There's an outdoor range between Yukon and El Reno, assuming it's still there. It's pretty terrible, but a day pass is only ten bucks. It's also a hundred yards, which probably makes it the longest range in the OKC area. The old guy who owns it is pretty grumpy. No rapid fire (meaning 2 full seconds in between shots, even on the pistol range), no class III, no shotguns, no fun. The only bonus is you can shoot steel ammo to your heart's content.

There's a gun club I went to with a friend way out in the boondocks, somewhere NE of Edmond. It's pretty nice and the fees are very reasonable, but it's just so far away from me. You do have to volunteer to work once or twice a year, like mowing the weeds and stuff, but that's to be expected since it doesn't cost much. I don't know what their rules are though.

The WMA range is okay, but it's one hell of a drive to get out there from Yukon. They have about a 75ish yard range and an area just for skeet, which is nice. Just don't wear sandals or flip flops; the broken glass out there is about ankle deep. You have to bring your own target setup, no steel allowed.
View Quote

The outdoor range between Yukon and El Reno is Banner Road range.  Far from terrible.  I like it, its just a bit of a drive.  Old guy was never grumpy to me.  And they were class III friendly, at least with suppressors.  

The gun club NE of Edmond is nice too, but private.

Also an outdoor gun club just south of Norman, I think its called Tri City.  Private, but nice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am a member of Tri-City and it is the best range I have ever been to.  I would never shoot at a public range.  Too many crazies and people who don't know how to safely handle firearms.

The outdoor range between Yukon and El Reno is Banner Road range.  Far from terrible.  I like it, its just a bit of a drive.  Old guy was never grumpy to me.  And they were class III friendly, at least with suppressors.  

Also an outdoor gun club just south of Norman, I think its called Tri City.  Private, but nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a member of Tri-City and it is the best range I have ever been to.  I would never shoot at a public range.  Too many crazies and people who don't know how to safely handle firearms.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The range NE of Edmond is the Oklahoma City Gun Club, I've been a member for a number of years.  Its a 50 mile drive for me one way, but it sure is a nice range, and they have a variety of ranges for different things, a full on pistol range designed for Bullseye shooting, that's where I started shooting competition, Bullseye matches in the late 1960's.  They have a silhouette range, a high power rifle range out to (I believe) 500 yards, a 22 only plinking range with lots of interactive targets, its a blast, a bench rest range to 300 yards, a pistol range with falling plates, cowboy range, black powder range, big shotgun, trap and skeet, and a combat range.
View Quote

Dan probably still has his membership there and he took me shooting there quite a few times a few years ago.   The pistol range with steel plates was nice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The range NE of Edmond is the Oklahoma City Gun Club, I've been a member for a number of years.  Its a 50 mile drive for me one way, but it sure is a nice range, and they have a variety of ranges for different things, a full on pistol range designed for Bullseye shooting, that's where I started shooting competition, Bullseye matches in the late 1960's.  They have a silhouette range, a high power rifle range out to (I believe) 500 yards, a 22 only plinking range with lots of interactive targets, its a blast, a bench rest range to 300 yards, a pistol range with falling plates, cowboy range, black powder range, big shotgun, trap and skeet, and a combat range.
View Quote

That's not what I'm talking about, I've never been to the Oklahoma City Gun Club. The one I'm referring to isn't nearly that nice, but it's okay for the price of membership. It's off of a long dirt trail, and it doesn't have any targets. It has a few covered bench rests, but that's it. You have to bring your own targets, certainly no steel or interactive targets. I wish I could be more specific, but it's way out there and my friend (actually one of my father's clients) was driving so I wasn't really paying that much attention. Once we were out of Edmond area, we were on back roads for a long time. If I had to guess I'd say it was directly east of Guthrie, maybe five miles or so east of Sooner road. If it has a name, I didn't see it. There was a gate, but no signs or anything posted. I didn't even see any no trespassing signs. I asked the guy the price for membership and it was like 100/year plus you had to volunteer for cleanups two weekends a year. We were there all day on a Saturday and were the only ones there, so I don't think many people use it. It's basically just a field where you can shoot. Don't think there were any bathrooms, but there were plenty of trees
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Canton Lake has a WMA range as well.  Well, I assume they still have it. Haven't been there since 2005.  Might be closer.
View Quote

I was out there a couple of years ago. It was getting pretty trashed up and I haven't been back since, but it was there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:16:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was out there a couple of years ago. It was getting pretty trashed up and I haven't been back since, but it was there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My favorite thing about the WMA ranges is reading the no alcohol/glass sign while standing knee deep in exploded Budlight bottles
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Oklahoma is pretty pitiful in that respect compared to other states I've been.  We are famous for wide open prairie but good luck finding a place to shoot more than 50 yards that doesn't cost you a handful of money and half a tank of gas.  It's ironic and unfortunate but that's Oklahoma (should be our state motto lol).
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oklahoma is pretty pitiful in that respect compared to other states I've been.  We are famous for wide open prairie but good luck finding a place to shoot more than 50 yards that doesn't cost you a handful of money and half a tank of gas.  It's ironic and unfortunate but that's Oklahoma (should be our state motto lol).
View Quote

It's because of our liberal state and local governments, as well as all the people moving here from Cali. They want to turn us into some kind of haven for progressives in the Bible Belt. That's why they're spending so much money developing the South side of I-40 in the ghetto. That river walk trail is nice, but I sure as hell wouldn't go on foot South of the river without a pitbull and an AK 47. It would have been nice if they had taken the loose change from the MAPS project and set aside a few acres of public land for people to shoot, like they do in other states like AZ or NV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top