Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2015 8:35:21 PM EDT
It's a varitable YetiPocalypse!!! This may be the end of life as we know it!!!! Until tomorrow I mean but then the end is back!!  

Our two cases of MRE's were exhausted by noon and we'll probably have to skin some trees for dinner, thankfully it should be over tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Just moved here from Wisconsin. I find the situation entertaining. Danger is other drivers who don't know how to handle a bit of ice and snow. I'm staying off Tulsa streets.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just moved here from Wisconsin. I find the situation entertaining. Danger is other drivers who don't know how to handle a bit of ice and snow. I'm staying off Tulsa streets.
View Quote

You speak the truth.  I was born and raised in the Tulsa area, but I figured out pretty quickly that a little common sense will keep you out of the ditch.  Unfortunately, common sense isn't.

Most folks will just panic and stay home if there's much in the way of ice and snow on the roads, though, which lowers the danger level a bit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, we don't get enough practice to drive on icy, snowy roads so it's a giant cluster fudge every time it happens.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
one thing i've noticed is the cool kids with their 500+ HP rear wheel drive modern muscle cars can't get around for crap.

probably a combination of big horsepower,tires not for mud/snow. and a generation of people unfamiliar with rear wheel drive.

lets see that 750hp Hellcat Challenger make it up that icy slope.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Considering that there's maybe 1% of the time in Oklahoma where the roads require ice/snow compatible vehicles, I'll take the Hellcat every time .
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Considering that there's maybe 1% of the time in Oklahoma where the roads require ice/snow compatible vehicles, I'll take the Hellcat every time .
View Quote

Buying it's only the first part.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
one thing i've noticed is the cool kids with their 500+ HP rear wheel drive modern muscle cars can't get around for crap.

probably a combination of big horsepower,tires not for mud/snow. and a generation of people unfamiliar with rear wheel drive.

lets see that 750hp Hellcat Challenger make it up that icy slope.

View Quote

My first vehicle was a 2001 GMC Sonoma.  I did just fine with it in the ice and snow.  Just toss some wood or cinder blocks in the bed, stay easy on the throttle, leave more than plenty of room to brake, and it's not tough to get where you're going.

I replaced that pickup with a 2011 Toyota Tundra.  Same story, just takes more wood or cinder blocks to get it to notice the extra weight.

Don't get me wrong, I've gone up a couple of icy hills sideways, but I by God made it up them on the first try.  Even the one that the 4x4 Jeep Cherokee in front of me kept stopping on for no reason whatsoever (not going to lie, I was tempted to just push him up the hill because of that).

The only time I've ever driven a FWD vehicle in the snow and ice, my mom had gotten her Dodge Stratus (which she hated and is glad to be rid of) stuck in the (1/3rd of a mile long) driveway.  I can't remember if I was just playing hooky that day or unemployed, but either way, I didn't go to work that day, but my dad did.  Mom was going to just leave the car in the driveway.  I told her "No need, I got this" or something stupidly cocky like that and we walked up the driveway to get the car.  I started backing the car up the driveway and she started to panic (she doesn't do well with the snow and ice).  So I invited her to leave the car (I actually asked "Would you rather get out and walk?" and she said "yes"), finished backing it down the driveway, and backed it into her parking spot.

I still don't see the need for front wheel drive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buying it's only the first part.

Shame to see such a beautiful car totaled like that.  I used to be a street racer many years ago, nothing like you see on TV, no professionally built, triple nitrous kit big blocks, just real street cars "mildly modified".  Back then the cars were fast but not like the factory cars we have today like the Hellcat or Corvette Stingray and similar.  We were far more safe than the kids today, there was no racing on streets with other cars, no blazing through traffic like I've seen done here in the city.  I LOVED racing and I LOVE fast cars so I'd take a Hellcat any day.  I wouldn't race it on the street though, I'm way past that craziness.  

I don't even own a car anymore, which sucks, so I don't just want a Hellcat...I NEED a Hellcat LOL.  I'd be happy with an SRT Challenger though, I'm not that picky LOL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
a friend of mine has a few Buick Grand Nationals, and a GNX.
he gave his son a BGN for graduation.

said son promptly lost it and hit a tree in the door, caving the unibody in to the drive shaft tunnel.
he said " but dad, it just snapped around!"

doh! parts car now.

a generation that's never driven RWD cars has some learnin to do.

the whole steer into the skid doesn't work on FWD, there its point the tires where you want to go and gas it.

i still haven't broken all my RWD habits.

and we won't even start in on the inherently evil automatic transmission.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
a friend of mine has a few Buick Grand Nationals, and a GNX.he gave his son a BGN for graduation.
said son promptly lost it and hit a tree in the door, caving the unibody in to the drive shaft tunnel.he said " but dad, it just snapped around!"

doh! parts car now.

a generation that's never driven RWD cars has some learnin to do.

the whole steer into the skid doesn't work on FWD, there its point the tires where you want to go and gas it.

i still haven't broken all my RWD habits.

and we won't even start in on the inherently evil automatic transmission.

View Quote

You absolutely right, RWD cars behave way different under power and you better have your skills honed, especially if it's one of the pre-traction control cars.  I grew up with rear wheel drive sports cars and muscle cars, to this day I prefer RWD over all others.

Having spent many years street racing and then many years as an EMT working car accidents, there is one thing that I have told every parent I've ever come across with a new driving child and that is...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER provide or allow your kids, male or female, a fast car.  I've seen way too many crashes and pulled way too many dead or dying kids out of cars to ever believe that's a good idea.  I've worked accidents that still haunt me to this day caused by young drivers with far too much power under the hood of their first cars.  Every time I see some young kid driving a V8 Mustang or Corvette or Challenger I have flashbacks and I just cannot understand how any parent could make that decision.  Living close to Nichols Hills I see it all the time, these 16-17 year olds getting out of school at Cassady driving C7's or AMG Mercedes and hot footing them as soon as they hit the next block, it's insane.

The Grand Nationals are nice, they have truly survived the test of time and their looks are even better today.  They weren't that stylish in the day, but today they really stand out.  The GNX is a sweet beast, I think I've only seen one or two real ones in my life on the road.  I'd love to own one myself, cool cars.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I had to go to the OCOM medical facility on S. Walker..i live in NW Expressway and Rockwell are...while driving over there on Monday...it became obvious...most of the OK drivers did, in fact, slow down...however...they did the same stupid shit that causes accidents they normally do at higher speeds, just at a slower speed with the ice/snow. Was entertaining for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#15]
In 1987 when i came back to the US after my second tour in Korea...i ordered a 1987 Mustang GT before leaving there...and picked it up about 2 weeks after i got back. I had that car for nearly 3 months...2 speeding tickets, 1 exhibition driving ticket...between the exihibition driving ticket and its mandatory court date...i traded the Mustang for a 4x4 Ranger...i realized at that moment in my life...i am not responsible enough for a fast sports car. Now i own a 2009 Corolla and 2012 Camry...my Corolla will sail along at 80mph on the freeway without a glitch and get 34-36mog doing it. Camry a little less in MPG, its automatic and has all the nice things in it. But yeah...no more fact vehicles for me...including street bikes...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, when I lived in Canada I remember opening the front door of the house at there being just snow.  No sky, no anything, just snow.  Watching my dad start at a window and dig his way up and out so he could get to the front door and dig it out.  Fun time kid stuff was sledding down the roof and out onto the snow pack LOL.  We would build snow caves and tunnels from one yard to the next, you could build an entire "underground" snow fortress in a day with a handful of kids.  Ah...those were the days.

If I could have even just a couple feet of snow every winter I'd be happy, that's all winter not just a day or two out of the season like Oklahoma.  I could definitely be at home living in Alaska.  It's like the perfect place...all the seasons, beauty and incredible wildlife of Canada but without the stupid restrictive gun laws.  If I had the opportunity to pull up roots and live there, I probably would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top