Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 9:24:44 PM EDT
Hi all. The wife and I are looking for a good shooting range around Tulsa. I like the looks of US shooting academy. But want opinions from people who have been to this place and others. We mainly just want to meet other friendly people who love to shoot and have fun, as I have plenty of private land to shoot on south of Tulsa, just no one to meet. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
USSA is a nice place, I've shot there a few times with a buddy that is a member. Look into Red Castle gun club also. It used to be inexpensive, and it's a very nice outdoor facility. Most of the people I was around back then were very nice. They also have a 600yd rifle range and shoot over the top of the clubhouse for the 1000yd long shoots.

I had a membership there for years, but moved about 35 miles the opposite direction, so it wasn't worth keeping.

I have been a member at Oil Capital for about 10-12  years now. Unfortunately the waiting list is probably that long now. It is also a nice facility.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If your wanting to meet people, Oil Capita Rod and Gun Club is probably not the place.
I'm in BA and I've been a OCRGC member for several years now and it is typically slow traffic.

I would say USSA would be a better place to meet people. Decent range and fairly wide sample of shooters.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your wanting to meet people, Oil Capita Rod and Gun Club is probably not the place.
I'm in BA and I've been a OCRGC member for several years now and it is typically slow traffic.

I would say USSA would be a better place to meet people. Decent range and fairly wide sample of shooters.

View Quote

Yes, not many people there unless there is an event of some type.

Makes me wonder whether we've run across each other out there? I'm generally on the rifle range behind a Suburban working up loads

The folks I have met out there have always gone out of there way to be friendly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses. Oil Capital is not taking any new waiting list entries and Red Castle is only accepting indoor range members only. I will check out USSA and see whats its like.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Happy Hollow (between Kellyville and Sapulpa) is a great place to go. It sits in a low area with lots or surrounding trees that tend to block out the wind. $10 per person per day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses. Oil Capital is not taking any new waiting list entries and Red Castle is only accepting indoor range members only. I will check out USSA and see whats its like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True, but if/when Red Castle opens up outdoor memberships again, current indoor only members get first crack at those positions over non-members applying for membership.  This was in the news letter a while back.  If you can wrangle an outdoor Red Castle membership, it's well worth the price and the drive.  

As for USSA, my parents had a membership out there for a year or two.  I never went, but they liked it.  My mom loved the Rogers Range (I think they sold that and some of the other range facilities to the Tulsa County Sheriff's Department).  A bit too expensive for my tastes, though.

Quoted:
Happy Hollow (between Kellyville and Sapulpa) is a great place to go. It sits in a low area with lots or surrounding trees that tend to block out the wind. $10 per person per day.

I used to shoot there.  No machineguns allowed, at least 3 seconds between each shot, and...well, I don't have anything nice to say about the guy who took over when Howard (may he rest in peace) had to give the place up, so I'll just stop there.

That said, the benches that don't wobble are nice.  It's a good place to sight in from the bench.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I shoot at tulsa firearms quite a bit. employees are nice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its ok.

The slow-fire rule sucks for anything other than precision shooting or sighting a gun in.

The ROs never leave the building, which they should do each time the line is cold, especially during hunting season. I've seen too many hot guns left that way, pointed down range during ceasefire. Its best to go there when its slow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top