Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 10:34:47 PM EDT
Im looking for a car for my mom, nothing fancy just get her from A to B. Cant really pay a lot though credit is far from desirable, but need reliability. Ive looked at a few auto trader endorsed dealers around the area and they have some pretty reasonable vehicles and prices but I know credit will be a factor.

Anyone know of a good dealer with reasonable prices that can work with people?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Honest car dealer? Is there such an animal?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Nowadays there's a lot of "buy here, pay here" places where credit isn't a big deal.  They generally have a lot of low cost cars that are in good condition.  Some use "car killers" that are attached to the car so if you don't make your payment on time they can shut the car down remotely but I don't know how widespread that is in Oklahoma, not very I assume.  That's a route to consider.  I bought a car years ago that way when I was younger.  They mostly work with people who don't have a lot of money and/or credit so it's not hard to get approved as long as you can prove you have the ability to pay.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

X2 I hate shopping for a new or used car...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
and craigslist is a nightmare here lately.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Virtually all of those dealers that specialize in risky credit are more stealers than dealers, there was a story on TV a couple of weeks ago, not OKC but you have the same kinds of things cropping up all over.  Couple bought a used Kia, car was legitimately worth about $10,000, they were paying something like $800 a month and were going to end up paying about $40,000 for that 10k car by the time its paid off.  

That used to be called Usury and was illegal, don't know how they are getting away with it now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury  
View Quote

I'll have to disagree, yes there are some of those out there and to be fair all car dealers, new or used, are in the business to make as much profit of each sale as possible but most small used car lots aren't any more immoral than any other.  They don't have to be, the profit margin is already there and they are working with a lot of folks who have previously defaulted on other loans so they charge a lot of interest.  No different than banks and credit cards that give you terrible interest rates for the same thing.   Personally I think those high interest rates on credit cards or car loans are ridiculously high but nobody is making the buyer sign on the line.  As for the folks who bought a $10k Kia and agreed to an $800 car payment for that long, that's on them for not researching their loan details.  If you can't count to five without using your fingers and you are going out to get a car loan, bring a friend who can count.  I got my first car loan when I was 20 and even then I did all the math myself before signing on the line.  If a car lot took advantage of someone who was incapable of knowing what they were doing, I would be irate but someone who just didn't pay attention or didn't care at the time, that's on them.

The place where I went when I was too young and poor to qualify for a major car lot was run by a guy who's goal was to help people and make a little profit along the way.  The car he sold me cost under $3k and he sold he financed without any interest at all if you could pay it off within a year, which I did.  Since then I've recommended these small car lots to other people who were having trouble getting a car loan and it's always turned out very well.  As long as you can tell the difference between someone looking to scam you and someone looking to give you a square deal, these lots are great options.  All you have to do is agree to a payment and length of time that works for you and add any additional fee's (if there are any) and see what it adds up to.  If it adds up to $20k for a 2000 Ford matchbox, don't sign it but if it adds up to something that you think is acceptable, then go for it.  Easy peasy

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
and craigslist is a nightmare here lately.
View Quote

Lots of flippers buying anything that is cheap then reselling as their "daily driver" for a lot more.
Craigslist is a nightmare indeed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't we have a resident car dealer in the "know" on the board? Could have swore we did.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Lemozoid

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup *points up*...that guy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

By other than car dealer standards?
What might be considered honest by one occupaion might not by regular people.
Trust a salesman and your pocket book may suffer a great deal.
So don't!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
99% of the car dealers out there give the rest a bad name.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are some good honest salesmen out there working for crooked managers or crooked dealerships.
Leemozoid works at Bob Howard and they are one of the better dalers in town but I would still be careful.
One dealership lost a sale because I wouldn't sign a release for them to sell my financial and contact info.
They swore up and down they wouldn't IF I signed it, no matter what it said.
I just walked out.
They called several times afterwards trying to close the deal even when I told them to not call me again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are some good honest salesmen out there working for crooked managers or crooked dealerships.
Leemozoid works at Bob Howard and they are one of the better dalers in town but I would still be careful.
One dealership lost a sale because I wouldn't sign a release for them to sell my financial and contact info.
I just walked out.
They called several times afterwards trying to close the deal even when I told them to not call me again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just walked out.

Bob Moore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't we have a resident car dealer in the "know" on the board? Could have swore we did.
View Quote

Replied to your IM.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bob Moore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just walked out.

Bob Moore.

I bought a Ford Ranger from their location off I-35 & SE 89th a few years ago.  Nice easy transaction, for the most part.  .  Been to their service department for warranty work, no issues.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll have to disagree, yes there are some of those out there and to be fair all car dealers, new or used, are in the business to make as much profit of each sale as possible but most small used car lots aren't any more immoral than any other.  They don't have to be, the profit margin is already there and they are working with a lot of folks who have previously defaulted on other loans so they charge a lot of interest.  No different than banks and credit cards that give you terrible interest rates for the same thing.   Personally I think those high interest rates on credit cards or car loans are ridiculously high but nobody is making the buyer sign on the line.  As for the folks who bought a $10k Kia and agreed to an $800 car payment for that long, that's on them for not researching their loan details.  If you can't count to five without using your fingers and you are going out to get a car loan, bring a friend who can count.  I got my first car loan when I was 20 and even then I did all the math myself before signing on the line.  If a car lot took advantage of someone who was incapable of knowing what they were doing, I would be irate but someone who just didn't pay attention or didn't care at the time, that's on them.

The place where I went when I was too young and poor to qualify for a major car lot was run by a guy who's goal was to help people and make a little profit along the way.  The car he sold me cost under $3k and he sold he financed without any interest at all if you could pay it off within a year, which I did.  Since then I've recommended these small car lots to other people who were having trouble getting a car loan and it's always turned out very well.  As long as you can tell the difference between someone looking to scam you and someone looking to give you a square deal, these lots are great options.  All you have to do is agree to a payment and length of time that works for you and add any additional fee's (if there are any) and see what it adds up to.  If it adds up to $20k for a 2000 Ford matchbox, don't sign it but if it adds up to something that you think is acceptable, then go for it.  Easy peasy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Virtually all of those dealers that specialize in risky credit are more stealers than dealers, there was a story on TV a couple of weeks ago, not OKC but you have the same kinds of things cropping up all over.  Couple bought a used Kia, car was legitimately worth about $10,000, they were paying something like $800 a month and were going to end up paying about $40,000 for that 10k car by the time its paid off.  

That used to be called Usury and was illegal, don't know how they are getting away with it now.

Agreed.

I have a co worker who in 2011 bought a new car, it was a small chevy, can recall the name. Anyway him and his wife spent all day at dealerships in okc just trying to get approved. They finally found a new car dealership who got them the car with a 21% interest rate.
When he told me I about fell over. He told me they financed $17,000 or so for the car at over $500 per month. About 5 months later they lost the car, seems they could not make the payments.

Whats even sadder than that is they did it save money on gas, yet had a car that from what he said got decent mileage and the payment was only a couple hundred a month.

Some folks are just insane.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One point about profit. If you focus on your customers and listen to them, you can make a little on every deal. That way your customers are treated fairly, the dealership is profitable and everybody is happy with the deal. Small profits on many customers who are treated with respect means long term success with a high reputation and tremendous repeat and referral business.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I have not bought a new car since 2003 and I drove the wheels off of it,  When I buy cars now I find something that is around 4 years old and in excellent condition and I pay CASH.  You can often times get a better deal that way than you can financing the vehicle, at least that has been my experience. I have a friend who cant stay out of a dealership, he has to buy a new car every three years whether he needs it or not and is always upside down.  I cant understand for the life of me why anyone would want to continually have a payment.  

Some of the things I do when buying a car is demand a car fax before we even talk price. If they cant or will not provide one I walk, I also know the KBB before I walk through the door, and I also insist on letting MY mechanic tell me the car is A OK for the road. IF they do not agree to 1 and 3 no business of mine will they see.

I cant stress how important using a trustworthy independent mechanic is to not getting screwed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I cant stress how important using a trustworthy independent mechanic is to not getting screwed.
View Quote

There are a lot of things a mechanic can't see but it is still a good idea to have the vehicle checked.
Consumer Reports has a website that will tell you how reliabilty rates for each vehicle by years IF you are a member.
Knowing the reliability reputation, the used value and condition rating from dealer or individual by Kelley's Blue Book is being prepared before you shop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Im putting a feeler out...

Does anyone in the OKC area have a decent A to B car they would be willing to part with for a few hundred bucks? Im concerned that my mom won't be able to get a tomorrow, she goes to work on Wednesday.
You can message me directly instead replying here. Thanks.

Wingman, Lucky, if this particular post is out of bounds, go ahead and delete it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Call your buddies Dan or Brandi, maybe they can give her a ride!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Never mind. Figured it out
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Did you find a vehicle?  Wish I could help but I don't even have a car anymore.  The nephew uses it to go to school and work after his car burned several months ago.  Being without a vehicle sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top