Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 4:25:15 PM EDT
Anyone here a plumber or know a good plumber?  I got a clog up bathtub.  Been trying to unclog myself with no success.  Might need to claw underneath the house to disassemble the pipe.  But the pipe is rusted, so it might take some time to get it off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
We usually use Mr. Comfort in OKC, haven't had any bad experiences with them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Go up on the roof and run a snake down the vent pipe. It should go down by the p trap. If the clog isn't in the trap, it should clear it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the type of home, you should have a snake out/clean out port somewhere either outside the house or inside...they like a 4" PVC pipe (usually) with an inverted nut cap on it...if it an old house or OK codes dont require it, then you have to either go through the tub drain if possible or the long route like daa9mm said, through the roof vent.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh and if the pipes are rusted...be prepared to replace everything as you work through...rusted plumbing pipes are a pain in the ass, a 24" Rigid pipe wrench at Homedepot makes easy work of it. I have an aluminum one with a cast iron jaws...sweet pipe wrench, had to swap a back flow valve off the top of a 70 or so year old boiler we had in our basement in CT...that cast iron was a pain in the butt. Good luck whatever you do...plumbing sucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If the tub has one of those discs below the faucet with one or two screws in it, that's a drain vent that you could use to snake the drain if you can't get past the drain in the floor of the tub. I'd try snaking it or using one of those plastic drain cleaner things. If someone in your house has long hair, that's likely what's clogging the drain. I have two of those long-haired critters in my house...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the tub has one of those discs below the faucet with one or two screws in it, that's a drain vent that you could use to snake the drain if you can't get past the drain in the floor of the tub. I'd try snaking it or using one of those plastic drain cleaner things. If someone in your house has long hair, that's likely what's clogging the drain. I have two of those long-haired critters in my house...
View Quote

If it has the lever below the faucet, can you feel the plug being lifted when you actuate the lever?  If not then the carter pin connecting the lever to the plug assembly could be broken.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it drinking. Slow? Or not draining At all?  Do you. Have a wife or children (girls) that use this tub. 9/10 is usually a hole bunch of hair stopping it up.  Some of the old tubs have certain drains that you can pop to the top cover off and use a hanger (or something similar) to clean the hair out. Try that out before you tear your plumbing apart under your house.  Take it from a plumber who hates crawling under houses to replace drainage piping. No Bueno and mucho deniro.  If you have any more questions of need someone to come out. Pm me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we lost the OP, probably had one of those plumbing related nervous breakdowns.  I've had them, it's not pretty.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I have try all the above and still no luck.  I hired a regular plumber and he try  still unable to unclog the bathtub.  He told me to get a plumber technician to go under the house and undo the pips.   So anyone here know a good and honest plumber technician that can do this kind of thing?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
We had a bad one like that once, the Mr. Comfort guy located the pipe that goes from the house to the city line and added a clean out to it.  He used that clean out area (it's only about a foot from the house) to run his pipe snake thing into the house.  He also went down from the vent pipe in the bathroom with the snake.  He pulled a bunch of stuff out that was clogging up the system.  

We were at the same point you are but the cost of going under the house was just too much so he decided to try a super snake job on it and it worked like a charm.  Plus we have a clean out now so that if it happens again it's an easy place to snake from.  They must have done a really good job because we've not had any issues since and that was probably 4 or more years ago.  That might be option for you, I'd definitely have them try it before going onto something more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We had a bad one like that once, the Mr. Comfort guy located the pipe that goes from the house to the city line and added a clean out to it.  He used that clean out area (it's only about a foot from the house) to run his pipe snake thing into the house.  He also went down from the vent pipe in the bathroom with the snake.  He pulled a bunch of stuff out that was clogging up the system.  

We were at the same point you are but the cost of going under the house was just too much so he decided to try a super snake job on it and it worked like a charm.  Plus we have a clean out now so that if it happens again it's an easy place to snake from.  They must have done a really good job because we've not had any issues since and that was probably 4 or more years ago.  That might be option for you, I'd definitely have them try it before going onto something more expensive.
View Quote

How much did that cost you?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really remember, $300-400 maybe, but it was way lower than the alternative.  However much it was, was definitely worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top