Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2015 11:22:22 PM EDT
Im dying to get a new scope for the Savage axis. Ole Dan has me wanting a Nikon Prostaff and that got me thinking... I kinda wanna try to make my Savage a duel purpose rifle. What I mean by that is making it a mid to long range rifle, maybe even for comp shooting from 400 - 800 yards but then it can transform into a hunting rifle by just me donning an orange vest and hat.

With that said, would the Prostaff fit that bill or would another scope be better? I know the pro staff is plenty for 300 and in for hunting and Im sure its fine for 400+. I know the Axis probably isn't ideal for precision shooting but Im not yet looking to push it to a grand, I wanna shoot to a grand and Im sure it'll get me there (may not hit the target but I'm sure the bullet can make it), but Im just looking for about 600 yards for now.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
what power Prostaff you got in mind?

i been looking at this Busnhnell just to get higher than 10X.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
can you read a Mildot or milrad?

there are quite a few online help pages on using a mildot,learning to use one up to 600 yards really is quite fun,and could open up a lot of scope choices for you.

bushnell

swfa

vortex

falcon

weaver

mueller

etc....
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have Burris, Leupold, Redfield, Bushnell, and Nikon scopes. The Pro Staffs are lower end Nikon models with the lesser quality lenses that still rate 90% light transmission. They are great scopes for the money for knock around hunting rifles and perform admirably for that purpose. The Monarch scopes are a step up and higher cost. That might be an option.
At each level of costs there are good scopes and better scopes fot the same money. At the lower end of scope manufacturers quality can vary a good deal.
I have bought refurbed Nikon ProStaff scopes that are great and one that was a POS. it went back to the retail shop the day after I opened it.
Refurbed are returned scopes under warranty and known to be problems but corrected by Nikon.
I have had an inexpensive Savage rifle with a $99 Simmons scope that outshot rigs that cost 5x as much. So cheaper scopes can be a great deal.
If you want a do everything rifle you'll have to spend more mony for the optics. It may or may not be worth the money. Only you can determine that.
I think scopes are like rifles sometimes. Some are better than another of the same make and model. It is a limited risk each and eevery time you buy one.
I'd buy abother refurbed ProStaff if I need one even though I had a real t*rd one.  
It is because the little extra clarity and light transmission is minmal compared to the 50% increase in cost.
Avoid the $59.99 scopes. Those are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
or just go Nightforce or Schmitt&Bender
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
1X per 100 yards is a rule of thumb. A fixed scope will usually result in a better optic than an equally priced variable. If you're wanting just 600 yards then this is a good optic that will get you further if you decide to try it but isn't too powerful for hunting applications.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53711.aspx
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#7]
been using the bushnell fixed 10x40 for a few years on this rifle works great,never had any issues both in close up and far off reachout and hunt 223 fun.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Vortex products work for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL, You get what you pay for.......................
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]
What's your budget? That's going to dictate everything.

I have a Savage 116 FCSS .30-06, and per Dan's recommendation, went with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X42 BDC.  I've not had the opportunity to shoot at long distance but the glass is very good and I have no doubt it would work dual purpose although, if you want to compete, you probably need to go with mildot/milrad reticle.  My rifle is set up for primarily hunting, so I went for the Nikon BDC reticle.  It's a system I really like, plus I have a few other Nikon's with the BDC reticle and with the Nikon Spot On ballistic calculator app on my phone it makes it really easy to quickly figure out where you need to be shooting.

If competitive long range shooting is your primary goal I'd probably go with a mildot style reticle scope.  I'm a huge fan of Vortex, they make fantastic optics for the money.  I put a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 Dead Hold BDC scope on my 6.5 Grendel because it's specifically designed as a Hunting/Shooting Long Range optic which is what the HS LR stands for and it was in my limited budget.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL, You get what you pay for.......................
View Quote

X2 The glass is so much better now than it was 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
been using the bushnell fixed 10x40 for a few years on this rifle works great,never had any issues both in close up and far off reachout and hunt 223 fun.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/twistergixxer/PICT0010.jpg
View Quote

I have this same model of scope on one of my rifles and it's great for the money.  I also have two Vortex scopes and I think they are quite a bit better.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#13]
After going FFP, my recommendations fall outside of these perameters. If I can help it, I won't use SFP on any of my own unless it's low power magnification.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x, I'm very disappointed in it, its just not clear and sharp at 100 yards.

One scope I have been very impressed with is the Vortex Crossfire II, I have two of them now, a 3-9x and a 4-12x, exceptionally sharp and bright.  The 3-9x came first in the Crossfire IIs, I was so impressed by it I got the 4-12x and its every bit as good.  I also have two Vortex Viper 4.5-20x44 30mm scopes, one of those was my first Vortex, now there's an impressive scope, but they are a bit expensive.
View Quote

I'll second this. The Vortex has impressed me in this price range.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive been eye balling tonight the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9X40. Anyone have one on a .308?

Thats a big thing with the scope I get is it needs to handle the .308. Made the mistake with my last simmons scope thinking it could handle a few .308 shots for $40
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My Crossfire II is on a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Ackley improved.
Good warranty from Vortex if you ever were to need it as well.

ETA: I load hot for it too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Vortex is the latest and greatest. It  is said they ran shills in many gun forums about how great they were in a self promotion effort.  Having people paid to say how great they are is not an ethical business manner.
That being said you need a Vortex side by side with a Nikon, Leupold, etc in the same price range to compare for yourself. What works for one person may not do for another.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Does Leupold have anything under $200 that isn't rimfire only?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Not that you can see through
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close!
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-Rifleman-QDManager-Riflescope-P12126.aspx
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Natchez Shhoters Supply has Nikon Buckmasters on sale.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK6421&src=exrbSrch

I just ordered the 4.5-14x with side parallax adjustment for 199.99. They have a free shipping promotional until tomorrow. Use FS150112 as the promotional code. It will save $10 or so.
Be warned the Buckmaster series is being discontinued but the lifetime warranty is stll good. They will replace the scope if necessary with the next higher grade.
The one time I dealt with Nikon on a warranty they were top notch and responded quickly!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#22]
i just ordered this Bushnell off Amazon.

coupled with this $30 mail in rebate it'll be $127.99 in the door.

for a 4.5-18x40 side adjustable parallax scope.

i'm gonna use it till i get a Leupold back from having the reticles changed

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, here's a budget friendly option. Leupold owns Redfield now just FYI. The 2-7 is nice for closer shots and gives a pretty wide FOV and you can crank it up for longer range. I had one and thought it was pretty decent for the money.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3435117608/redfield-revolution-rifle-scope-2-7x-33mm-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm beginning to lean to a vortex dead hold bdc. It's still between Nikon and vortex, guess it'll depend on if I can get it locally vs online.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the Nikon 4.5-14 scope! Nice!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Just pulled the trigger on a Vortex Crossfire II Dead Hold BDC from optics planet. Scope, new rings and shipping came out to a bill 62 even right to my door

Worse case I figure is the scope body doesn't fit the distance between my current mounts. I got mid rise rings too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just pulled the trigger on a Vortex Crossfire II Dead Hold BDC from optics planet. Scope, new rings and shipping came out to a bill 62 even right to my door

Worse case I figure is the scope body doesn't fit the distance between my current mounts. I got mid rise rings too.
View Quote

You got the scope and rings for $62??? That's the deal of century.  Well done.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$162, not $62.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Well looks like the rings were put on back order as soon as I hit oder. So now I either wait a month for the order or cancel the rings and get them locally.

I really want that scope. Time to look at rings
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well looks like the rings were put on back order as soon as I hit oder. So now I either wait a month for the order or cancel the rings and get them locally.

I really want that scope. Time to look at rings
View Quote

Just thought about this, is your rifle a .308 or .30-06? If it's a .308, it has a short action and you shouldn't have any problems with getting your scope to fit but a .30-06 has a long action (or intermediate if you want to get technical) and getting a scope to fit can be a real pain in the arse.

I ran into this when I was scope shopping for my Savage 116 FCSS .30-06.  Having normal scope ring mounts on the rifle made the gap between the bases too long for the scope to fit.  It took me a long time of researching and going back and forth with Midway USA to finally locate a set of bases that would work.  After looking online I found tons of people having the same problem with long action rifles.  I finally ended up with a set of bases that had one short and one long base in the same set which allowed me have one hang over the action cutout a little giving me just barely enough room for the rings to fit on the scope.  I could have avoided the whole thing by getting a one piece scope ring base that spanned the action gap but I was stubborn and wanted just the right "look" as well as it being functional.  If I had it to do all over again I would probably go with the one piece base.

If your rifle came from the factory with bases already mounted, they should work with no problems.  Mine came with no bases and not having any experience in such things, I had to bumble my way through it.

These are the bases I got first that were way too far apart to allow me to mount the scope.

Those went into the parts bin.  Then I got another set that were a silver finish which were a little longer but still didn't fit (they were mismarked on the website), into the parts bin they went.  Finally, after working with the guy from Midway via the phone, we finally got a set together that worked.  

So here's the final working setup, you can see the one base at rear side of the scope hangs over the gap a little while the front base comes up flush to the edge.  It didn't provide enough room to adjust it any but at least it fit and it's pretty much perfect where it sits so no problems.

Was a frustrating journey but it worked out and I learned a lot about scope bases lol.  I also have a couple extra sets in stock should I ever need to scope another rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Ya its a .308 but its long action which sucks cause I don't like long actions much, especially for a short action round but whatever. With this issue of rings on back order, it'll give me a chance to take the set up to a shop and see what I can do, Ive thought about a one piece base but Im gonna see what my current set up offers before I dive in to fixing something that aint broke. Ive said it before in the past, I don't care what it looks like so long as it works. Function over form. If it looks good, thats just a bonus.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#35]

The bases you linked to are wrong sized lightweight bases made for the Savage Rascal which is a child size .22 or Airsoft use.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The bases you linked to are wrong sized lightweight bases made for the Savage Rascal which is a child size .22 or Airsoft use.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just put those up as an example. I didn't look that close
Not sure if this is for his rofle but they have bases:
http://www.amazon.com/Redfield-Mount-Savage-Accutrigger-Stevens/dp/B004U4H71C/ref=sr_1_cc_9?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1422877401&sr=1-9-catcorr&keywords=Savage+base
http://www.amazon.com/Warne-Scope-Mounts-Matte-Savage/dp/B000E131JM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1422913071&sr=1-1&keywords=Savage+scope+base

I checked my Savage and I used a rear off set ring to get the length set on my 308.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#37]
So I had to cancel my order. Everything was on indefinite backorder

Had to settle for basspro but I got a Nikon prostaff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So I had to cancel my order. Everything was on indefinite backorder

Had to settle for basspro but I got a Nikon prostaff.
View Quote

3-9x flavor? The one I have on a Savage has been a real winner IMO!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Yup. One of the better flavors
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Still a great choice, I'm a big fan of the Nikon Prostaff and the Spot On ballistics program.  If you haven't already, get the Nikon Spot On app for your phone.  It gives you a great ballistics calculator for just a couple dollars.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#41]
but how would i get the phone to the range?

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s367.photobucket.com/user/hotdogit250/media/cool%20phone_zpspb3mb0lk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/hotdogit250/cool%20phone_zpspb3mb0lk.jpg</a>

View Quote

Good point, a cord that long would be prohibitively expensive, so much for that idea.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s367.photobucket.com/user/hotdogit250/media/cool%20phone_zpspb3mb0lk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/hotdogit250/cool%20phone_zpspb3mb0lk.jpg</a>

View Quote

Silly boy, you just plug them in at the range!
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man that thing is ancient. Can't recall the last time I saw one in the wild
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#45]

in the 2007 ice storm we were without power for a month.

only phone on the block that worked,(any household phone that plugs into a AC outlet won't work w/o AC) cell towers too..

i was pretty popular with the holdouts.

those things are TOUGH, they're the only phones that hold up in my shop's nasty environment.

they're CHEAP on E Bay, too.

back to scopes, i got the Bushnell in i mentioned above, it worked well Sunday till it shook loose, (my bad).

got a set of rings coming that are almost as much as the scope.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top