Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2015 12:40:09 AM EDT
Oklahoma Senator Don Barrington (R) has initiated a bill that would make wearing your hoodie a crime!! Yup, this tie wearing schmuck has determined that only criminals and citizens of low moral character wear hoodies and therefore, these dangerous articles of clothing must be banned!  What a dumb@ss!!! Charge folks with a crime and a $500 fine for wearing an effin' hoodie??  You gotta be one seriously uptight, bunged up, elitist @sshole to see hoodies as the downfall of American morality and seek to criminalize them!! ACK!!!! ACK!!!!!

http://kfor.com/2015/01/02/wearing-your-hoodie-in-public-could-soon-cost-you-up-to-a-500-fine/
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What an idiot. I guess we should be happy that hoodies are the most pressing concern for our state government. Oh, wait...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Actual text of the bill:

SECTION 1. AMENDATORY 21 O.S. 2011, Section 1301, is
amended to read as follows:
Section 1301. It shall be unlawful for any person in this state to :
A. To wear a mask, hood or covering, which conceals the
identity of the wearer during the commission of a crime or for the
purpose of coercion, intimidation or harassment; or
B. To intentionally conceal his or her identity in a public
place by means of a robe, mask, or other disguise.
provided Provided, the provisions of Section 1301 et seq. of
this title shall not apply to the pranks of children on Halloween,
to those going to, or from, or participating in masquerade parties,
to those participating in any public parade or exhibition of an
educational, religious or historical character, to those wearing
coverings required by their religious beliefs, for safety or medical
purposes, or incidental to protection from the weather, to those
participating in any meeting of any organization within any building
or enclosure wholly within and under the control of said
organization, and to those participating in the parades or
exhibitions of minstrel troupes, circuses, sporting groups, mascots
or other amusements or dramatic shows. Any person, or persons,
violating the provisions of this section, shall be deemed guilty of
a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a
fine of not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00) nor more than Five
Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for
a period of not exceeding one (1) year, or by both such fine and
imprisonment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
So... Is it any different from the bill from the 20s that covered the same thing?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
no. it's a headline grabber.
who heard of this person a week ago?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The difference between the current law and the proposed law is that currently it makes it a crime to wear a hoodie during the commission of a crime (your basic add on penalty type law) and the proposed law would make it illegal to wear your hood in public if a police officer determines it's not cold enough to qualify. Imagine being at the mercy of every cop in this state to decide whether he/she wants to charge you with a crime and a $500 fine every time you wear your hoodie.  Every time you wear a hoodie or your kids are in public wearing a hoodie, any LEO in the state can slap you with an offense and a $500 fine and/or in addition to, IMPRISONMENT in the county jail up to ONE YEAR, because they didn't think the conditions met the letter of the law.

THAT is a HUGE difference in the law.  It's a huge overreach of government and abuse of power.  What's next, making it illegal to wear a ball cap or any hat with a brim than can hide your identity when a police officer determines that there's not enough sun shining to need a hat with a brim?  There's no difference.  This is the same mentality that the antigunners use when they argue that the mere possession of a gun somehow creates danger.  This guy is arguing that anyone wearing a hoodie, outside of his definition of when he believes it's acceptable, somehow creates criminal intent.

This is America, state officials, or federal, can't dictate that a particular item of clothing is illegal to wear except under the guidelines set by them.  How incredibly arrogant and power drunk this guy must be to decide that he can outlaw the wearing of a hood, and we aren't talking Klan  style hoods, when it's not cold enough in his opinion.  I see a potential money maker in selling hoodies that say "EFF U Barrington" on them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
got you talking bout him, didn't it.?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If I remember right a member here working on the open carry law (Dan?) had us call Sen Barrington because he was stopping the open carry bill in his committee. He turned his phone off from all the phone calls!
The guy is a jerk obviously.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Man fuck that dude, my wife freezes when the temp is below 70 degrees. She will don a hoodie if its whats within reach to warm up. The only hoodie I wear is my military unit hoodie, they can fuck themselves with their fines and imprisonment to stop me from wearing it in 90 degree weather.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
got you talking bout him, didn't it.?
View Quote

That it did but not in any way that will benefit him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I found it ironic that at the bottom of the KFOR link it showed a couple of articles where criminals had committed armed robberies while wearing hoodies.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Still unconstitutional.

Looting is not the same as demonstrations either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turns out this isn't being represented truthfully, no fault of Brandy, she's just repeating the false info she heard, she didn't know it was misrepresented.  What he is doing is banning the people from using a hoodie to conceal their identity during a demonstration.

Note all the thugs who show up for these demonstrations who cover their faces so they can vandalize and loot, that's what this legislation is about.  It has nothing to do with some kid out in the cold going to school with a hoodie on, if not being used to conceal your face there is no violation.

Still unconstitutional.

Looting is not the same as demonstrations either.

How is it not being represented truthfully? There's the copy of the proposed bill right above this.  It makes it a crime to wear your hoodie at any time that doesn't meet the "exceptions" listed.  If you wear a hood on a day that some random police officer deems not cold enough to meet the "weather" exception, they will be able to charge with a crime.  If you wear a hood for any reason, other than those specified in the bill as being "ok", you are fair game to be charged with using a hood to conceal your identity.  The law PREVIOUSLY said you had to have committed a crime, wearing a hood, before they could charge you.  This NEW version removes the part where you have to have committed a crime wearing a hood and instead modified it to say "if you are wearing a hood outside the accepted reasons, THAT is a crime".  

Unless the copy of the bill above is not the same bill this schmuck is pushing, this is most definitely a problem.  So you are wearing a hoodie on a day thats not cold, lots of people do, I do, you are subject to being charged with a crime.  Suppose you don't feel like having people look at you some day because you have a big zit on your forehead or you're just feeling like crap and you have your hood up or your stylish hoodie isn't designed to keep you warm but to look good with the hood up?  The bill says if you aren't wearing your hoodie for the listed "acceptable" reasons, you must be trying to hide your identity from big brother (aka the state) and therefore committing a crime.  

Hey, if I'm feeling particularly hideous one day and I have things to do, then yes, I will likely have a hood up, not wearing a mask but a hood, and by this fashion Nazi's definition I'm guilty of a crime and will be hit with an up to $500 fine and/or an up to one YEAR term in the county jail.  The law already makes it illegal to wear a hood during a crime.  If the law was only for the noble purpose of catching those bad guys who are hiding their identities for evil purposes, why didn't they propose a bill banning wearing masks in public? Because a mask hides your identity while a hood hides everything but your face...oh and the mask thing is already illegal.  

So why hoodies/anything with a hood? What do they cover that can't be covered some other way? The point is, this bonehead associates hoodies with criminals so anyone wearing one, other than his reasons for being ok like Halloween (huh?) and weather, must be up to no good.  What in this bill are they trying to accomplish?  You already can't wear a mask to hide your identity (the Halloween exception makes sense here) and it's already illegal to wear a hoodie while committing a crime, so why make wearing a hoodie/jacket/parka with a hood up a crime? Who wants themselves and their kids subject to every LEO's judgment as to whether you/they are wearing their hood in a legal manor or trying to hide your identity? Does anyone actually believe that's a good idea?  If it was about crimes being committed while wearing a hoodie, it's already against the law.  Who decides whether you have a valid/noncriminal reason for having your hood up? The police do, they will have to make a judgment call every single time they come across a hood up if they want to enforce the law.  Are you wearing that hood because it's cold enough to legally wear your hood or are you a criminal trying to hide your evil self because by hiding your identity with a hood makes you a criminal!!

The point is, this bill, should it become law, makes it possible for law enforcement to determine whether you are legal or not when wearing a hood, in their opinion.  If I don't want everyone looking at me that day then that's my business.  Until I commit a crime, I'm not subject to giving up my freedoms and if I choose to wear a hood on a warm day, I will.  If the cops have a valid reason to demand my ID, I will happily show it but until then I don't care who you are, I nor any other citizen, can be forced to dress in a manner that the state prefers.  A hood is not a mask, it does not fall under the masking laws, you cannot force citizens to keep their faces easily identified.

There isn't a single thing in the bill that makes sense, it's a very thinly veiled attempt to take away your rights and validate one man's idea that a hoodie is the preferred uniform of criminals and therefore must be regulated.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The first and primary detail is the fact that a hoodie isn't even mentioned in the proposed legislation.  It says a "hood", not a hoodie, while both can cover the head, they aren't the same thing, my parka has a hood, but isn't a hoodie by any description.  I own a hoodie, but I also own several winter coats with hoods, but they aren't hoodies.  His basic idea is there is no legitimate reason to wear a hood which conceals your face when the weather isn't cold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it not being represented truthfully? There's the copy of the proposed bill right above this.  It makes it a crime to wear your hoodie at any time that doesn't meet the "exceptions" listed.

The first and primary detail is the fact that a hoodie isn't even mentioned in the proposed legislation.  It says a "hood", not a hoodie, while both can cover the head, they aren't the same thing, my parka has a hood, but isn't a hoodie by any description.  I own a hoodie, but I also own several winter coats with hoods, but they aren't hoodies.  His basic idea is there is no legitimate reason to wear a hood which conceals your face when the weather isn't cold.

Maybe I want to pretend I'm a wizard? I shouldn't have to have a legitimate reason to dress how I want.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
and lets not forget how this proposed ban discriminates against Jedi...
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#18]
They left out running shoes in the bill. I honestly believe if someone is wearing running shoes the law may not be able to catch him if he does something illegal.
So they should make it illegal to wear them in the first place.
This is an ignorant law but a career politician looking to make the headlines.
He is no friend of gun owners in this state and definitely thinks the citizens are low lives if they wear hoods on their jackets.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe that concealing your identity during the commission of a crime is already a crime in its self in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Stupid and unconstitutional. Barrington is dumb.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stupid and unconstitutional. Barrington is dumb.
View Quote

No, he is worse than dumb. He is more of a CoC violation than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They are not running shoes, they are "Felony Flyers".

You have to be old enough to remember the brand "PF Flyers" to make sense of that.
View Quote

or have watched the sandlot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the key to the Bill is "hiding identity"....wearing a hood to keep your head warm generally doesnt include wearing it to wear you can only see a sliver of your face...you cant even see right when you wear like that...no peripheal visions at all...and to wear a ski mask into a public place of business is in poor judgement as well...personally, i have no problem with this bill...it wont affect the people who are able to utilize common sense to begin with.

Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#26]
So if they write you a traffic ticket they can arrest you for wearing a hoodie?
That is total BS!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So if they write you a traffic ticket they can arrest you for wearing a hoodie?
That is total BS!
View Quote

It has to be hiding your identity...if it is on covering your ears which is reasonable, dont forsee any wrong doing with that...but as with everything...gives the cops something more to abuse and twist to suit themselves and will have to be decided in a court of law.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't ever want a country where it's illegal to "hide your identity" AS a specific crime not specific TO a specific crime.  If you want to walk through the park without everyone knowing "hey, that's Fred or Charlie or Betty" at any given moment, you should be able to.  You aren't committing a crime nor do you have intent (let's be honest, it's a very small percentage of people who are up to no good in each crowd) so why should you have to dress in a manner that makes sure the police can identify you instantly? You aren't a criminal but according to this bill, you will be required to stand easily identified regardless, or face being charged with a crime.  Imagine that, politicians turning law abiding citizens into criminals for not displaying their identity at every moment.  If you've been watching/reading the news, this story has made headlines and drawn the disbelief of conservatives around the nation, for good reason.  Granted these folks aren't used to Oklahoma's ridiculous antics but goes to prove, this bill is a tragic comedy of typical Oklahoma vague language at best and a violation of your rights at worst.  You can call a crap sandwich a BLT but it's still a crap sandwich and if they pass this travesty, wear all going to have to eat it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#30]
The neocons are trying this all over the country. They want to be able to track everyone by facial recognition when the surveillance grid is in place.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The neocons are trying this all over the country. They want to be able to track everyone by facial recognition when the surveillance grid is in place.
View Quote

Now there is a tin foil hat view I had not thought of......Wait.... I don't think he, Barrington, is that smart.    No worries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top