Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 8:09:58 PM EDT
OK, I was picked as a recipient of the Canadian County grant for a tornado shelter. Does anyone have any experience with Tornado Safe Shelters? Lowes, is carrying them and I am thinking of purchasing one form them. If not, do any of you have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with that one but had a flat-top shelter installed by Red Dirt Septic a year ago and couldn't be happier with the product or the service. The even put me at the head of the line when they had a cancellation because they knew I was postponing building a workshop until after the shelter was installed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Rat Terrier had a something (safe room? safe? ) survive the Moore tornado, maybe he can chime in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rat Terrier had a something (safe room? safe? ) survive the Moore tornado, maybe he can chime in.
View Quote

His was a bear gun safe.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a ground zero underground shelter in my garage. I am happy with the installation and product. Glad I haven't had to use it yet. It's a lot of money for something I might never use, but is a must now for me with a little one around, even though I hope I never have I to use it.

I do have to vacuum mine out twice a year cause of leaves and bugs. No biggie though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a Ground Zero shelter in garage as well.  Supposed to seat 12 though I have no idea how that would happen.  We try to clean it out once a month or so.  Keep extra water and food under the stairs.

It's very well built and install only took 3 hours.  I was very impressed with the process.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Having survived a couple tornadoes and not being able to afford a shelter I can say any money you guys spent on shelters is money well spent, even if you never have to use it, just in peace of mind.  I don't do well during storms anymore and with no place to hide, it sucks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I've actually considered that but I couldn't get a foot deep without ending up in the ER.  The next place we end up will either be out of tornado territory or have an underground shelter.  I'd like to have one of those underground houses, that would be sweet and easy on the power bills.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#9]
We recently had a "Storm Safe" shelter installed--recommend them!  $3400 for a medium (5.5' tall by 7' long by 5' wide).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top