Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 7:49:03 PM EDT
Anyone build one?

If so, what is your setup and what do you like or dislike about it?

Sources for parts too if you know any.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Not me, I went with the 6.5 Grendel but there is at least one person iirc here that is shooting a 6.8.  Probably be around at some point.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my 6.8, it's my favorite rifle by far.  It will take any game OK has to offer and with each passing day the ammo selection grows. The new VLD rounds have some serious legs on them and can give 6.5G a run for its money.

Reloading is the way to go, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not one of those people who brags on one and bashes the other, they are both excellent choices.  The Grendel has better long range ability but to be honest most folks aren't going to shoot that far anyway.  I just like the 6.5 caliber and am enjoying seeing it become as popular over here as it is overseas.  The 6.8 is a great caliber, they are both excellent deer/hog calibers.  If you build one you'll be happy with it no doubt.  Also check out the AR15 Alternative Calibers thread, you can find a lot of great info on the 6.8 there.  

I just wish I had a place to shoot mine at 100 yards and beyond....it's frustrating to have $2700+ invested in a rifle like that and not getting to take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well after reading more on the 6.8, i will probably just stick with my 300AAC...150-200 yards is reasonable for anything one can hunt in US i think...and the 300AAC will do about that...anything farther or needing more HP i would just opt for another .30-06 hunter. Seems to me using an AR as a primary hunter is kind of like using an adjustable end wrench where you should be using a combination wrench...just my opinion and thought. Maybe just get another 700..loved the one i had for about 10 years.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to read OK hunting laws...i vaguely recall both SD and AZ having limits on auto loading rifles as far as capacity goes. Basically was like a 4+1 like a bolt. I will have to read on that....that was for all big game in both places, dont remember if it was varmints or not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not one of those people who brags on one and bashes the other, they are both excellent choices.  The Grendel has better long range ability but to be honest most folks aren't going to shoot that far anyway.  I just like the 6.5 caliber and am enjoying seeing it become as popular over here as it is overseas.  The 6.8 is a great caliber, they are both excellent deer/hog calibers.  If you build one you'll be happy with it no doubt.  Also check out the AR15 Alternative Calibers thread, you can find a lot of great info on the 6.8 there.  

I just wish I had a place to shoot mine at 100 yards and beyond....it's frustrating to have $2700+ invested in a rifle like that and not getting to take advantage of it.
View Quote

Yeah, one cant really bash on any round...each is developed and designed for pretty much a specific purpose. As with all calibers, people push each to its limits and try to make every caliber a GP type of caliber...some are better at adapting a GP role then others. But yeah, cant bash on different calibers just because they may not feed your particular need.

Push comes to shove, ultimate need for any firearm is preservation of life, and most of those encounters are under 50 feet, more in line of 7-10 yards i think...and any caliber would perform pretty well within that distance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need to read OK hunting laws...i vaguely recall both SD and AZ having limits on auto loading rifles as far as capacity goes. Basically was like a 4+1 like a bolt. I will have to read on that....that was for all big game in both places, dont remember if it was varmints or not.
View Quote

In Oklahoma the magazine limit is 7 and only for .22 caliber clip or magazine fed rifles or basically AR15's in the .223/5.56 caliber during deer season.  I'm not sure that applies to anything else but deer season but you'd have to look.  Whereas someone hunting with a .223/5.56 AR is limited to a 7 round maximum capacity magazine, shooting anything bigger caliber you have no limit on capacity.  I could load my 6.5 Grendel mags to 25 or 30 (if I had a 30) and legally hunt deer.  It doesn't make much sense but this is Oklahoma and you get used to laws not making sense.  I do have 5 round magazines for my .50 Beowulf that I bought on the chance that I ever got to hunt somewhere with it that had a mag limit, plus if you can't get it done with 5 rounds of ginormous 50 caliber slugs it's time to pack it up anyway.  

Dang I miss hunting .  I do have a great .30-06 which is what I've always used for deer hunting but since getting my Grendel it's now my official deer/hog/pretty much anything but little critter gun.  It's proven it's chops on big whitetails, muleys and even big elk and moose...those would require some of the 6.5 Grendel "big game" loads but it's been proven it's doable.  Since the biggest thing I'll have even the slightest chance to hunt is a whitetail, I feel pretty good.  I can keep the Beowulf as backup in case I'm attacked by a Sasquatch or a wooly mammoth LOL.

I really think you would love what a 6.8 could offer you as a hunting rifle if you change your mind.  Out of curiosity, what did change your mind?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my 6.8 it does pretty good out to 200 yds but I haven't really put it to the test.
Stripped upper and lower
JP Trigger and LPK
Troy Free Float Rail
Bison Armory 20 inch barrel Young manufacturing BCG
AAC 51T Compensator now it started out with a BA battlecomp
Magpul PRS Stock
Vortex Viper Scope in a Larue Mount

I ordered most of the parts direct from manufacturers or from Brownells.  I might give it a shot during deer season this year but I built it for hogs and coyotes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]

I really think you would love what a 6.8 could offer you as a hunting rifle if you change your mind.  Out of curiosity, what did change your mind?
View Quote

Just reading about the difference in ballistics and researching parts cost/ammo cost...just didnt make much sense to add that to the arsenal. Just for shits and grins i may buy a barrel and bolt and swap out one of the 5.56's. I have nearly an identical set of 20" bull barrel and 18" bull barrel...different receivers and hand guards, not even really sure why i did the 18" after i did the 20". I wanted greater accuracy at distance and the 20" did that, i dont know, maybe i was drunk when i ordered the parts for it. It is nice rifle too, but so is the 20. And not much difference in weight between the 2, so yeah, maybe i will do a swap out on the 18. Then later on when i get the urge again, start rebuilding the 18".

Many things i do dont make sense...sometimes i sit back and wonder why myself..hahaha

Something i have never done is Elk Hunt..always wanted to, but the places i lived the tags were few so never got a chance. Most of my hunting time was while in the service...and back then pay structure was a whole lot different then it is today..and raising a family at the same time kind of limited the entertainment fund.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love my 6.8 it does pretty good out to 200 yds but I haven't really put it to the test.
Stripped upper and lower
JP Trigger and LPK
Troy Free Float Rail
Bison Armory 20 inch barrel Young manufacturing BCG
AAC 51T Compensator now it started out with a BA battlecomp
Magpul PRS Stock
Vortex Viper Scope in a Larue Mount

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/uploads/imgs/pre_1410967657__68.png

I ordered most of the parts direct from manufacturers or from Brownells.  I might give it a shot during deer season this year but I built it for hogs and coyotes.
View Quote

Thats prety nice rifle...is it green or is that your camera? Cause if it is green, thats cool too...something i want to do with my 300AAC.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Its just the lighting on the camera that is an old picture, now the receivers and rail are cerakoted flat dark earth and the barrel is coated black.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its just the lighting on the camera that is an old picture, now the receivers and rail are cerakoted flat dark earth and the barrel is coated black.
View Quote

Cool.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just reading about the difference in ballistics and researching parts cost/ammo cost...just didnt make much sense to add that to the arsenal. Just for shits and grins i may buy a barrel and bolt and swap out one of the 5.56's. I have nearly an identical set of 20" bull barrel and 18" bull barrel...different receivers and hand guards, not even really sure why i did the 18" after i did the 20". I wanted greater accuracy at distance and the 20" did that, i dont know, maybe i was drunk when i ordered the parts for it. It is nice rifle too, but so is the 20. And not much difference in weight between the 2, so yeah, maybe i will do a swap out on the 18. Then later on when i get the urge again, start rebuilding the 18".

Many things i do dont make sense...sometimes i sit back and wonder why myself..hahaha

Something i have never done is Elk Hunt..always wanted to, but the places i lived the tags were few so never got a chance. Most of my hunting time was while in the service...and back then pay structure was a whole lot different then it is today..and raising a family at the same time kind of limited the entertainment fund.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Changing calibers on one of those 5.56's is an idea, two bull barreled rifles in the same caliber with two inch different length barrels is the perfect opportunity.  I cracked up reading the part about buying while drunk...technology at it's finest lol.  Following my last back surgery I was on some strong meds and between that and Amazon the UPS truck was showing up at least once a week and most of the time I had no idea what was in the boxes LOL.

Mines a 6.5G but, as discussed, within normal ranges there isn't a whole lot of difference.  She's a Loki Weapons System 6.5G w/ 18" Liberty barrel, Hogue free float forend, BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 charging handle, RRA two stage match trigger, LaRue Tactical SPR-S LT158 scope mount, Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 Dead Hold BDC scope.

I've since prettied her up a bit.

Or............................

You could go full hammer time.....with the BIG HAMMER .50 BEOWULF!!  Alexander Arms, Daniel Defense Free Float quad rail, Magpul CTR stock, LimbSaver recoil pad, King Armory KA-0450 muzzle brake, Burris PEPR scope mount, Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X20 "Hog" scope w/ FireDot reticle.  

For those days when only the biggest hammer in the toolbox will do...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Where do you guys purchase your 6.8 ammo from?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Brandi what kind of finish is on your .50? Looks like it has a slight sheen to it and looks very nice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Brandi what kind of finish is on your .50? Looks like it has a slight sheen to it and looks very nice.
View Quote

It's just the factory finish, might have a light oil on it but otherwise just factory.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I have ordered direct from Silver State Armory, and have also used ammo to go.  Ammo to go used to be alot cheaper before all of the shortages.  I honestly haven't had to buy any in awhile and as soon as I buy some dies I'm going to start reloading for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have ordered direct from Silver State Armory, and have also used ammo to go.  Ammo to go used to be alot cheaper before all of the shortages.  I honestly haven't had to buy any in awhile and as soon as I buy some dies I'm going to start reloading for it.
View Quote

Yeah i was gonna get set back up with reloading, but then i looked at prices of powder and other components and for the calibers i have in weapons, just wasnt cheaper to do, and i dont do any match shooting or anything like that to spend that over factory loads. Reloading in the 1980's and '90s was way cheaper to reload then buy commerically...but maybe with the 300ACC i now have and the possibility of getting a hunter like -06, maybe i will consider it again...i certainly had fun handloading, we did a load of shooting in SD back then...prairie dog days were some 600 round days easy and that was with a bolt. Would have been loads more with an AR platform.

Will have to look at Silver State Armory, never heard of them
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's just the factory finish, might have a light oil on it but otherwise just factory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well its a very nice looking rifle. Good pic too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah I'm not sure I am really saving but it is fun learning and I haven't had good luck finding 300BLK ammo locally so that is the first set of dies I bought.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont know if you are or not...everything has more then doubled in price since i was reloading. I can imagine the conflicts the country has been constantly involved in has put somewhat of a continuous strain on the components. I was paying between 10-13.00 bucks per pound of powder back then...generally used Winchester and IMR for the rifles and Hercules i think it was for the pistol. Primary bullets for the rifles was the Hornady 168 BTSP for the 06 and either the 52 or 53 grain HPs for the .223 and various for the .357. Speer was generally my .357 plinking bullet maker, but i think it was Winchester who had some nice 150 JHP's i used for more serious stuff. Never really shot the .223 with the standard 55 grn ball. Generally used the .223 for prairie dogs and coyotes stuff like that and the FMJs just didnt cut it. HPs exploded the dogs and hammered the yotes...FMJ the dog would crawl back into its hole draggin his guts, didnt like that so much. Oh and i also used to use Hornady's 60 BTHPs for antelope...took a couple antelope with that. The Rem 788 i had for the .223 was pretty accurate shooter. Had allot of fun with it...took the 06 doh hunting 3 times...and after the shoulder was turned to virtual hamburger...bought the 788.

Man i can ramble...bottom line was, i was saving tons back then reloading...and had the opportunity to know exactly what the round was doing at x yards. That changes your entire shooting experience. Also being USAF and stationed there, the CATM (Combat Arms Training) for us were assigned to our Security Police Group so we got our brass for free...that was convenient.

We in an apartment right now, waiting for another few months to get 2 year local residency for a mortgage...once we get into a house i will resume reloading...especially for the 300AAC and then i will look differently at the 6.8 SPC see if i can get the cost per round down on it before i make a decision to build one. Meantime i will just have to settle on the various other weapons i have to shoot. Wanna get out to a good out door range...havent shot my WASR AK in 2 years, neither of my mosins in 3 years and very few rounds through the AR's and pistols. Most of the AR trips to H&H are just to get some sort of sight in on the build, then cabinet it goes. Shooting conditions there really suck..cant even get a decent bench support on the 8" board they have...piss poor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh and you are right...reloading is just plain fun too...it adds an entire dimension to your shooting experience.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#23]
My daughter has taken several deer with hers, a stag upper on a DSA receiver and ace stock with JP trigger.

The scope is a leupold sent back to the factory and fitted with a CDR torrent. She can ring steel out to 350 yards. The rifle likes the hornady V-max load the best. She is going to try the 120 gr. SST this year. The 6.5 grendel will out penetrate it and hold a bit more range but not enough to argue about. One plus is the 6.8 is easier on bolts after 700 rds. I had to replace my grendel bolt.

There is a hog I killed last week with a 6.5, the 123 gr. A-max went through the shoulder and traveled at an angle all the way out the rear ham. We have killed a truck load of game with both and you can't go wrong with either cartridge for mid-range performance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Dang you make me jealous every time you post pics like that...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your always saying let you live through others pictures.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#26]
X
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true, sad, but true. Lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my 6.8s. I've followed the 6.8 cartridge since it started development in '02 and it's a nice lil round. I first got ammo from Silver State Armory but then once I got me some brass I got into reloading and that's how I can afford to shoot it anytime I want now.

Here's my 1st 6.8 its a Bison Armory 18" mid length gas with mid length hand guard with the Ops Inc muzzle brake and collar.

Here's my Bison Armory 18" Mk12 Mod 0 clone in 6.8 with a full length hand guard and the midlength gas system. I have a lo pro gas block under the hand guard. This one also has the Ops Inc brake and collar. They both shoot great.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I love my 6.8s. I've followed the 6.8 cartridge since it started development in '02 and it's a nice lil round. I first got ammo from Silver State Armory but then once I got me some brass I got into reloading and that's how I can afford to shoot it anytime I want now.

Here's my 1st 6.8 its a Bison Armory 18" mid length gas with mid length hand guard with the Ops Inc muzzle brake and collar.

<a href="http://s329.photobucket.com/user/RatTerrier1369/media/Guns/68SPC3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/RatTerrier1369/Guns/68SPC3.jpg</a>

Here's my Bison Armory 18" Mk12 Mod 0 clone in 6.8 with a full length hand guard and the midlength gas system. I have a lo pro gas block under the hand guard. This one also has the Ops Inc brake and collar. They both shoot great.

<a href="http://s329.photobucket.com/user/RatTerrier1369/media/Guns/0402142023_zps1t3eteog.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/RatTerrier1369/Guns/0402142023_zps1t3eteog.jpg</a>
View Quote

What are the scopes rat?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s329.photobucket.com/user/RatTerrier1369/media/Guns/68SPC3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/RatTerrier1369/Guns/68SPC3.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s329.photobucket.com/user/RatTerrier1369/media/Guns/0402142023_zps1t3eteog.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/RatTerrier1369/Guns/0402142023_zps1t3eteog.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yours are all tacticool compared to mine...obviously mine is prettier since it's pink but you win the tacticool award for sure!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I was beginning to wonder if Rat still had his 6.8's
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Sparky, the scopes are both Sight Mark 3x9x42 mil dot scopes. Nothing too fancy but I like how the function and the glass is nice n clear. I put this scope on my bead blasted stainless barreled gun 4ish yrs ago when I got it, I liked it and put the same on the SPR I just got finished up last fall.

Jackary, why wouldn't I have my 6.8s? Heck, I'm lucky to have a 5.56 model in the house. LoL. I do think I'm going to put a shorter barrel on the bead blasted 68, no reason to have 2 of dang near the same rifles. And I woulda chimed in earlier but Govt computers don't letcha log onto forums and I've been busier than a 1 legged man in a butt kickin contest the last 3 weeks. My Sat wedding will be here before I know it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Haha it was just the delay in your response to a thread about 6.8 SPC.  I need to get mine out to the range she is starting to feel neglected since I have been playing more with my bolt actions lately.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks again for all the info and the photos...you guys and gals have some nice stuff.

Iam going to just stick with 5.56s and 300AAC for now..maybe when we finally get into a house and i can get back reloading i will visit the 6.8 again.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Haha it was just the delay in your response to a thread about 6.8 SPC.  I need to get mine out to the range she is starting to feel neglected since I have been playing more with my bolt actions lately.
View Quote

Yeah yeah, I might get one of mine out today. My brother is in town n despite getting married tomorrow I MIGHT be able to find a couple hrs today to hit the range with him....we'll see, theres still a lot to do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I shot mine with my suppressor for the first time this summer and that was the last time it got shot.  I need to get back out and play with it suppressed some more and get a scope adjustment figured out to offset the drop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I have 2

1st is a 1st run AR15performance.com upper midlength 16"
I added a DD M4 float tube
On a Stag Arms lower
Ace Stock
RRA 2 stage trigger
Aimpoint comp M2 or 1x3 Weaver or 2x7 Busnell 3200
has taken a doe, buck and small feral hog.

2nd is one of the last Kotonics barrels 18" midlength.
Briley carbon fiber float tube
same lower config. as above.
2X7 Burris or 3x9 VX-II Leupold
Has taken a doe, 170" buck, and estimated 300 lb plus feral hog.all game taken at 100 yds or less.  I like that they hit with more authority than .223 and recoil is still extremely low.  Both are more accurate than I am and will take deer sized things farther than I generally need to shoot or could make good hits.  I have a good stock of SSA ammo that will last more seasons than I'll be able to hunt.

I've bought parts from Denny's, PKfirearms, AIMSurplus, Del-ton, and others, but haven't bought any in at least 4 yrs.  I also reload, but haven't been shooting
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I am not interested in building one, but I will probably purchase a RRA LAR-6.8 X-1.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am not interested in building one, but I will probably purchase a RRA LAR-6.8 X-1.
View Quote

IMO the twist rate on the RRA is a bit fast. Almost everyone uses a 1:11, 1:11.25 or a 1:12 twist. Other than that it looks like a pretty nice rifle. And for that price it says and it'd better, come with the RRA dual stage trigger! If you haven't yet go check out www.68forums.com and you'll find all the info there you'd ever want.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#39]
That Bison Armory setup is pretty clean. Been looking to pick up one of the uppers from them. I already reloaded about 200 rounds of 6.8  just need to buy a upper.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That Bison Armory setup is pretty clean. Been looking to pick up one of the uppers from them. I already reloaded about 200 rounds of 6.8  just need to buy a upper.
View Quote

Both my 68 uppers are Bison Armory. Ben does a great job with them, just be patient with him, building AR's isn't his main job...You'll be happy when you get your  upper....I'd be more happy with mine if I could just get out n shoot mine more! lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I built my upper using a Bison barrel and I am definitely happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top