Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 10:57:44 PM EDT
How to get rid of these and kill them out is what I'm wondering. Anyone here ever deal with some of these rascals and how to get rid of them? I saw this evening a whole bunch of them scattered out all thru out the yard n I wanna control them as best as I can.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
High heat fire is the only sure way.... that and "breeding them out" in the sense of not letting the plants get tall enough to seed out. Ever.

Huge PITA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, Learn to live with them. I did.........
Gave up trying to kill them 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
How about this:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/grassbur.html
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Goats...lots of goats...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Her toy go http://www.noble.org/global/ag/soils/sandburs/sandburs.pdf

Prowl or Pastora. Apply as directed. Should probably wait for the next cycle for the best results. Hit it with the pre emergent just before spring. And the post in the middle of summer.

Don't burn beforehand. The ash will kill the chemical.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys for the input. These things sprang up over the last month. I didn't have any before then and now I'm seeing them all over the place n I need to fightem off somehow! I guess I need to buy me some chemicals here pretty soon!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I ask OSU Ag.  what to do, their reply was to sell the land and buy different land that didn't have any!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ask OSU Ag.  what to do, their reply was to sell the land and buy different land that didn't have any!
View Quote

Yikes! That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, did they seriously say that?  That is harsh.

I still think goats...lots of goats...

I'd be tickled to have land burrs or not.....I wanna go hunting *sobs*  Seriously though, I really do need to put meat in the freezer.  I may have to sell something so I can afford a paid hog hunt just for the meat.  If that's not ironic I don't know what is.

okcscott, we need to go shooting again, maybe talk Leemo into bringing some of his vintage and not so vintage toys.  I gotta admit I've been lusting after that Sharps y'all have, we need to get it and my 1873 Springfield carbine together to see how they compare.  We'll have to stick to low pressure "trapdoor" safe ammo though, yours can do way more but mine is very limited.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Get old carpet, tie it upside down behind a tractor and drive around the property.  Should pick up a large percentage of them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get old carpet, tie it upside down behind a tractor and drive around the property.  Should pick up a large percentage of them.
View Quote

That just sounds like a good reason to play on the tractor, which im good with cause, thats fun! LoL
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Kill it with fire. Literally. Propane torches are nice and effective.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yikes! That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, did they seriously say that?  That is harsh.

I'd be tickled to have land burrs or not.....I wanna go hunting *sobs*  Seriously though, I really do need to put meat in the freezer.  I may have to sell something so I can afford a paid hog hunt just for the meat.  If that's not ironic I don't know what is.

okcscott, we need to go shooting again, maybe talk Leemo into bringing some of his vintage and not so vintage toys.  I gotta admit I've been lusting after that Sharps y'all have, we need to get it and my 1873 Springfield carbine together to see how they compare.  We'll have to stick to low pressure "trapdoor" safe ammo though, yours can do way more but mine is very limited.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously thats what they said

Have been wanting to work up some low pressure 45-70 loads, i just need the bullets.. I was thinking of casting some but might be quicker to buy a bag in town if anyone has them.. Thinking of 300 to 385g or what I can get don't want 405 or 500g.

The Lady that gave me the sawed off double barrel also gave me an 1884 typeI II trapdoor, it's the Cadet md. made in 1892 so I really don't think it had any or very little blk powder down the tube.

I'll look for bullets this week and work on some loads, thinking 16,000 to 18,00 psi

I'm sure Leemo will have some great toys we can talk him to taking
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have been wanting to work up some low pressure 45-70 loads, i just need the bullets.. I was thinking of casting some but might be quicker to buy a bag in town if anyone has them.. Thinking of 300 to 385g or what I can get don't want 405 or 500g.

The Lady that gave me the sawed off double barrel also gave me an 1884 typeI II trapdoor, it's the Cadet md. made in 1892 so I really don't think it had any or very little blk powder down the tube.

I'll look for bullets this week and work on some loads, thinking 16,000 to 18,00 psi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gave you a Cadet model Springfield?? Wow, that's a pretty sweet gift, I've not seen a cadet model under the $2k.  I would love to see it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gotta post a pic of that cadet Springfield, I haven't been able to shake my excitement since you said you had one.  That is much coolness, if you post a pic or get set up to go shoot let me know.  All I have is one cartridge LOL, that a friend (Dan) made up for me when I first got my Springfield.  I was thinking about buying commercially made "trapdoor safe" ammo but even it is hard to find.  There's a guy in Edmond that makes bullets but I have no idea what he has for .45-70, he now runs the indoor range that used to be Heartland.  I've heard he can be a PITA but might be worth checking out to see if he has the bullets you need.  

Now that the weather is cooling off, it's chootin' time!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Really looks better than photo
" />
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Wow, that is gorgeous, 27" barrel....I am jealous.  I swear you two are the luckiest folks I've ever met.  Dang, that is nice, I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person.  Have you had it appraised? IIRC, they made very few cadet models in each generation.

Edit: something seemed wonky...looks like someone cut down the stock on that....not sure what I was thinking.  The cadet should have a 29.5" barrel and a full rifle stock.  It really hurts the value but it also means it's more of a shooter where I'd be hesitant to shoot a pristine Cadet model too much.  Out of curiosity, what stamp does it have on the Buffington sight? An "R"?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How to get rid of these and kill them out is what I'm wondering. Anyone here ever deal with some of these rascals and how to get rid of them? I saw this evening a whole bunch of them scattered out all thru out the yard n I wanna control them as best as I can.
View Quote

Getting rid of the current crop is  near impossible.  Put down a pre emergent this fall and another pre emergent  treatment next spring in late Feb or early Mar.  Then after things get green next year you can kill the immature plants with a broad leaf killer like 2,4-D, or the combos like trimec .  The trimec does a good job too, but it tends to yellow the lawn a bit.  Atrazine is very good but is no longer used on turf.  You can get if from a farmer if you know one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top