BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 4:19:55 PM EDT
Incase some of you haven't read about this, here's a brief summary:

Quoted:
FAQ

TL;DR Version of what is happening (stolen from OP):

1. ATF ruled that a trust is not a person as defined by 18 U.S. Code § 921(a) and the Gun Control Act (GCA).

2. Since ATF holds that an unincorporated trust is not a “person” under the GCA, the prohibition on the transfer or possession of machineguns as defined by 18 U.S. Code § 921(a)(1) and 18 U.S. Code § 922(o) cannot apply to unincorporated trusts.

3. Numerous (See Footnote #1) trusts submitted Form 1 applications to build new machine guns.

4. ATF approved the applications and sent out stamps (See Footnote #2).

5. On or around 9/10/14, ATF began calling trusts (or, rather, Trustees) that received stamps and/or updating their online status from Approved to Disapproved. Those that were called were told they had to return the stamp. (See Footnote #3 for audio of one such call)

6. Attorneys are working on it now...

Footnotes:

1. Current estimates put the number of trusts that applied somewhere in the low hundreds. Unfortunately, there is no 100% accurate count that is publicly available.

2. Some stamps were received as early as the first week of August 2014. Others have not been received yet.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9GKoxnGcM

Does this mean if I have a trust I can get Form 1s approved to build machine guns?

No. BATFE is no longer sending out approvals. Your application will be rejected.

Should I submit a Form 1 right now?

No. The door is closed. BATFE is rejecting Form 1's for new machine guns now. It will not make a difference. (Note: If this changes, we'll let you know)

What should you do if you were one of the trustees that submitted a Form 1 and were approved?

Presto97sl summed it up pretty well (see below). I would add that you should contact NoloContendere via IM, as he is a rally point right now for coordinating and tracking efforts on this issue.

Quoted:
Let me begin with I am an attorney.

Anyone who had one of these approved and then denied needs to do the following
1. Cut off any contact with the ATF directly regarding this issue until you have sought legal counsel.
2. Keep a copy of any information they mail to you, I would photo copy and hang onto everything.
3. Contact an attorney who specializes in this area of law.
4. DO NOT cash the check they are going to send you refunding your paid tax ( you may waive your rights by doing so).
View Quote

What can the rest of us do to help?

1. Keep the thread bumped.
2. Stand by.

Where can I send donations?

Nowhere, yet! There will be a time and place for that, but no one wants to start collecting money until we know how and where it will be spent. Plaintiffs are discussing options with attorneys right now. Attorneys are working on a plan right now. As soon as funding is needed, it will be requested (after getting Strykers approval). Until then, be patient.

Misc.

THE OP IS NOT ONE OF THE ONES THAT SUBMITTED A FORM 1 AND/OR GOT A STAMP.

If I left anything important out, please let me know.
View Quote

Link:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1624460_ATF_ruling_may_have_opened_door_to_new_machine_guns__Pg9_Form_1_APPROVED_Pg18_ATF_call_audio.html
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
So no more trusts huh? Well shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If this causes the ATF to remove the efile system for trusts I am going to be seriously pissed off.

I had my Form 1 approved in just 15 business days and couldn't have been any happier about it, for an SBR mind you.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree, what the heck? The post says something about this opening a way to acquire a full auto which would be a good thing but it reads like they just did away with individuals creating a trust for NFA items which would eff up a whole lot of everything.   Does anyone know enough about this to clarify?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Look at it from the ATF's point of view...

They screwed up.. I don't think they will want to attract attention to that fact unless necessary so I don't think this will affect any other approvals.
Politics are involved, including internal to the ATF...

If they take this to court there is a chance they could lose and open things up...
I don't know how many were approved but if its not too many they may just lean on those people and see if they can get them to cooperate.

If they don't take it this to court, I'm sure that any of the guns involved will end up being non transferable. The ATF will never approve any transfer involving them..
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So no more trusts huh? Well shit.
View Quote

I didn't read the main thread but I don't see anything that says no more trusts in OP's summarized post. Just no more trusts sending in Form 1's for new machine guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top