Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 5:44:46 AM EDT
First off, I am ok.  I came out a lot luckier than nden.

Hit a deer on hwy 281 just a couple of miles south of hwy 152.  Deer ran off.  My left knee hurts from the bike crashing down on it.  I can hobble for now. Hopefully I can at least do that when I wake up.  Otherwise I am ok.  I rode the bike another 40 miles home.  The bike isn't pretty or street legal but it runs.

ATGATT!  I probably slowed down to around 40mph or so when I hit that doe.  All I have is a banged up knee.  My jacket is torn up and my pants are probably still usable.  I can still walk (hobble).  

On the really good side, all I really need to replace is the headlight assembly and bend the handlebar and gear shifter back and the bike will be just fine aside from some scraped/minorly cracked plastics.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^

Does anyone else see that?  The date/time stamp doesn't even make sense.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone foresaw the future and moved your post preemtively 2 1/2 years ago!

Glad your OK.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Had a back log
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear that you are okay. Helmet?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#6]
This is definitely the time of year when deer movement ramps up. Glad you are otherwise ok except as noted.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I was in full gear. Save me from a lot of road rash and the impact on my shoulder and elbow from hitting the ground left not a scratch or bruise.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where was it moved from?

Glad you are OK, I had a friend that was almost killed when he hit a deer over by Thunderbird lake 30+ years ago.  He was in the hospital for 2 or 3 weeks after that accident.
View Quote

I went through my browser history and it didn't show me going into any other forums before making this thread.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Dang yesterday was a bad day for motorcycles.  As a parent the next to worst call you can get from a child is when there first words to you are "I'm OK but I've been in a crash".   My son tried to play pinball with his motorcycle yesterday afternoon.  A Durango pulled out in front of him.  He bounced off of her and into an oncoming pickup.  He was wearing a full face helmet thank God.  The worst of his injuries was a broken pinkey finger.  Lots of bumps/bruises and sore muscles.

Glad you are ok!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
well gald to hear it was minor Seansworth...

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

helmet.....................only pussies wear helmets.

only place I got road rash was my right knee/shin, but when you go from highway speed to zero on a bike you don't slide far on the pavement, course you get a lot of bodily injuries, imagine it's like jumping off a tall building and smacking the ground.

all my clothes were toast, only my shoes survived the crash and they are a bit scuffed
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang, glad you're ok! Sorry, your bike isn't.

I only had one actual hit the ground wreck and it was relatively slow speed going around a tight corner.  There was a lot of road dust that had built up since it adjoined a gravel road and my bike shot out from under me like it was on ice.  Whipped me from sitting straight up to my head slamming into the pavement so hard it took me a minute or so to figure out what happened.  If I hadn't been wearing a helmet it would have busted my head open like an over ripe melon.  Had to replace some turn signals and right side grip and it scuffed up the side of the engine but otherwise it survived.  I never ever considered riding without a helmet after that wreck.  I don't have a bike any more so now I just use my helmet as a tornado shelter
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

only place I got road rash was my right knee/shin, but when you go from highway speed to zero on a bike you don't slide far on the pavement, course you get a lot of bodily injuries, imagine it's like jumping off a tall building and smacking the ground.

all my clothes were toast, only my shoes survived the crash and they are a bit scuffed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure were scrambled for a week or two.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a major puss then, Nd.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes I was, took a bit for those coma & brain meds to wear through so I could stop talking like a skipping record, but I didn't die or end up like a fucked up legless incoherent vegetable in a nursing home like all the docs told my woman & family I would.

did test ride a couple of bikes last friday, pretty Goddamned sure I'm going to buy another one one of these days once I get funds built back up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
August 2005, Grand Junction CO.  Lady in a Jeep Cherokee fails to yield, turns left across a state highway in front of me, I hit her in her left front wheel.  Bike totaled, I was sewn up and sent on my way.

http://www.pbase.com/wingman26/image/47849875.jpg  
View Quote

some day I'll get around to posting pics of my bike after accident sitting in tow yard garage, and me sitting on the bed at house a couple of weeks after getting out of worthless wasteoftime rehab.

something of how bike looks after impacting solid head on at 60+mph into quarter panel side of suv hard enough to spin suv 180deg
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm a major puss then, Nd.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]
So still no helmet when you start riding again Nden?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#22]
this has been around a while, happened in Sweden, a VW Golf and a Honda RC30.

some captions say the victims (3) were left inside, but the A pillar being cut and common sense says they were extracted and the scene re-created as a traveling display warning against speeding/reckless driving.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
this has been around a while, happened in Sweden, a VW Golf and a Honda RC30.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/motorcycle-vw-4.jpg

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/motorcycle-vw-3.jpg

some captions say the victims (3) were left inside, but the A pillar being cut and common sense says they were extracted and the scene re-created as a traveling display warning against speeding/reckless driving.
View Quote

That's pretty gnarly, worst one I ever dealt with was pretty gruesome.  Not gonna go into the details on here but it was a fatality.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#24]
then there's  this one that happened around Tulsa in 2007.

alas, a helmet didn't help him at all.

("i heard a thump and motorcycle pieces started passing me")
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

hell no, just because I love women doesn't make me a pussy

shit Brandi, helmet or helmet less it don't matter, lots of people die in bike wrecks wearing a helmet and lots die helmet less, when God calls your name, you're going.

how many people have been in badassed vehicle, boat, plane etc crashes that got all fucked up to hell that don't get back in a vehicle after recovering to go someplace, I know quads caused because of vehicle wrecks that still get in a van/car/vehicle to go someplace out of the house,

hell I about died the first time back in 89', it didn't stop me from living the life.

have consistent unyielding faith in our Creator and thank him for all the good times & for carrying you through all the hard times in life and giving you the strength and humbleness to continue in life.

life is how you live it.

maybe someone can get in the archives to pull up the thread where we discussed faith of God, and maybe someone cut/pasted/saved it, it was a good discussion worth reading/rereading.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Your link is dead, please test links in the preview screen when posting them.

Here is the corrected link:  http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
then there's  this one that happened around Tulsa in 2007.

alas, a helmet didn't help him at all.

("i heard a thump and motorcycle pieces started passing me")

Your link is dead, please test links in the preview screen when posting them.

Here is the corrected link:  http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp

Uh, oh. Somebody found Wingy's #1 posting pet peeve!

Even a helmet can't protect against careless. Very sad for sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

shit Brandi, helmet or helmet less it don't matter, lots of people die in bike wrecks wearing a helmet and lots die helmet less, when God calls your name, you're going.

how many people have been in badassed vehicle, boat, plane etc crashes that got all fucked up to hell that don't get back in a vehicle after recovering to go someplace, I know quads caused because of vehicle wrecks that still get in a van/car/vehicle to go someplace out of the house,

hell I about died the first time back in 89', it didn't stop me from living the life.

have consistent unyielding faith in our Creator and thank him for all the good times & for carrying you through all the hard times in life and giving you the strength and humbleness to continue in life.

life is how you live it.

maybe someone can get in the archives to pull up the thread where we discussed faith of God, and maybe someone cut/pasted/saved it, it was a good discussion worth reading/rereading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

life is how you live it.

We differ on that I guess.  After almost a decade of working car and motorcycle accidents and treating victims, I can say with 100% certainty that helmets save lives.  Will they save everyone? No, it depends on the severity of the accident and about a million different factors but there's no doubt that your survival rate, in a survivable accident, goes up dramatically when wearing a full face helmet.  Motorcycles are dangerous, we all know that so wearing a full face helmet is a smart decision.  It's also a personal decision and I fully support the right for anyone, over 18, to ride lidless if they choose.  I didn't like wearing a helmet and I didn't always do it but after cleaning up enough accidents and having my own close call I decided I'd rather up my survival chances and give up a small part of the enjoyment.  A helmet won't save you in an unsurvivable accident but not wearing one can kill you in a survivable accident.

I have no issues with you go helmetless, everyone should live their life to the most and most of us don't.  I believe everyone has the right to live their life however they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights of course, and I don't care if pisses off some politician or religious leader somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top