Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2014 5:30:40 PM EDT
Not too long ago some of you were calling me chicken little.
Well, here is another warning.
http://kfor.com/2014/09/08/oklahoma-asks-cdc-for-help-investigating-virus-thats-causing-alarm-in-midwest/
I would suggest everyone put hand sanitizer in their vehicles and use it extensively before they enter their homes after they have been somewhere. Also use it several times during the day for no special reason.
Do this especially if you have kids at home.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe this is what i just got over...doctor called it an acute upper respiratory tract infection...he didnt know if it was viral or bacterial..gave me anti-biotics and a slew of other things to minimize its affects with the breathing as i have very bad asthma. That was about 2 weeks ago and i am still feeling some of its affect. But the symptoms described in the news are pretty much what i had.

If it was what i had, i can imagine the 5 year old age bracket of children would suffer greatly from it...it really sucked not being able to breath properly, which with the asthma i am somewhat used to, but couple it with the mucus in the lungs, throat and sinus' really sucked. I used my albuteral more in the past 2 weeks then i have in past 4 years. And the severe coughing fits were very hard to deal with...my ribs still hurt a bit from that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh and i still think you are chicken little!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh and i still think you are chicken little!!
View Quote

It's out of concern. What I think may be coming is not going to be pleasant and I sincerely hope I am wrong. But precaution is far easier than enduring an illness.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that alcohol based hand sanitizers DO NOT KILL VIRUSES!

They are better than nothing, but a thorough washing with soap and water works the best.  The alcohol based hand sanitizers are quite effective for bacteria but not viruses.

I was in the industrial chemical business for a number of years, I sold tons of this stuff, most bought if to help prevent the spread of colds, I just kept my mouth shut and took their order, if that's what they want, that's what they will get.  A lot of times the girls in the office would get together and buy this stuff by the case if the boss wouldn't let them buy it on the books.  This was before you could buy this anywhere, now its at WalMart.
View Quote

Hydrogen peroxide is cheap and works very well but is harsh.
Do you have any other suggestions that you could share?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I work on commercial aviation aircraft that carry 1000's of people with various sickness and disease.
I am rarely sick. Wash with soap and water and don't put your hands to your mouth, nose or food without washing thouroghly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
carb cleaner, gasoline, never shaking hands, avoiding people.(mosh pit days are behind me)
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't use the stuff, it tastes gross.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't use the stuff, it tastes gross.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

for some strange reason,I`m kinda turned on right now...  

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#11]
my wife and I are in the medical field and have bottles everywhere. in my laboratory I actually will make everyone use it on the hour.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that alcohol based hand sanitizers DO NOT KILL VIRUSES!

They are better than nothing, but a thorough washing with soap and water works the best.  The alcohol based hand sanitizers are quite effective for bacteria but not viruses.

I was in the industrial chemical business for a number of years, I sold tons of this stuff, most bought if to help prevent the spread of colds, I just kept my mouth shut and took their order, if that's what they want, that's what they will get.  A lot of times the girls in the office would get together and buy this stuff by the case if the boss wouldn't let them buy it on the books.  This was before you could buy this anywhere, now its at WalMart.
View Quote

Depends on the virus, for that matter it depends on the bacteria.  A lot of how well alcohol works is the the time the infective agent is exposed to the alcohol.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top