Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 7:43:50 PM EDT
Being that I have been on an AR pistol kick of late, I am thinking that I need to do something on the .300 BO.  I know nothing much about this round except it is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, great for reloaders (I can't choke the idea of a 1 a round for a .30 cal), quite if that is something that I can attain at a later date, and the parts are so common with the 5.56 mm that it should be a no brainer.

So, I am thinking a 9" KAK ss brl, a 7" ff hg, bolt/carrier, low profile gas block, a good brake, DD A1.5 sights, AFG for comfort, and a RDS of some type.  Figure I could just throw it on my pistol lower that is already wearing a 5.56mm upper.

So, do any of you shoot a .300 BO, in a pistol or otherwise?  Any reason not to do it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my .300 blk pistol. But that said, will you be using a suppressor? That's where the round really shines, imho.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have shoot all of 40 round of 300 I have almost everything to reload for it  but took the barrel off and put my 556 barrel back on because I have a suppressor coming for that. Maybe once I get a 762 can I will get motivated to do something.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't think a fore grip of any flavor was legal on a pistol version?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]
AFG yes, VFG no.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't think a fore grip of any flavor was legal on a pistol version?
View Quote

ATF determined that the MagPul AFG and AFG do not constitute a vertical foregrip.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've yet to see any real advantage of .300BO except for short range suppressed use, where it definitely shines.  Although for a pistol where short distance is the point, that's quite a caliber.  I gotta ask, what is the point of an AR pistol anyway? If it's just "because" that's a good enough reason but I'm curious if there's a use I'm not seeing?

I'm wondering how long before those arm brace grips from the Sig pistol are going to be manufactured for AR's.  Since the BATF has looked at them twice and re-issued that they are still classified as a pistol and that shooting them from the shoulder doesn't constitute a SBR.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've yet to see any real advantage of .300BO except for short range suppressed use, where it definitely shines.  Although for a pistol where short distance is the point, that's quite a caliber.  I gotta ask, what is the point of an AR pistol anyway? If it's just "because" that's a good enough reason but I'm curious if there's a use I'm not seeing?

I'm wondering how long before those arm brace grips from the Sig pistol are going to be manufactured for AR's.  Since the BATF has looked at them twice and re-issued that they are still classified as a pistol and that shooting them from the shoulder doesn't constitute a SBR.
View Quote

They already are made for the AR pistols. My Blackout pistol has the sig brace. Works great. 300 blk does have some advantages over 5.56 imho. If using supersonic cartridges, it's got a ton more energy than a 5.56. If using subsonics suppressed, it's still packing a load of energy and is about as loud as a pellet gun. Considering the only part you need to run the round over a standard AR is a barrel, that's a perk. In short barrels for pistols or SBR's..the round also shines as it's designed for shorter barrels. And aside from what most people think, the round also has a fantastic ballistic coefficient and is accurate out to much farther ranges than some think. Here's Travis Haley shooting a SBR 300blk, with a red dot, and nailing a target repeatedly at 800 yards. (Skip to 7:10)

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
A little late to chime in on my own thread, but a 14 month old takes a lot of the old "free time" I had to BS

Wingman, that is great to know about the shot up brass being reusable!  That makes perfect sense since I did a bit more reading on it.

ShadowAngel, No suppressor right now but I can see the usefulness of one in the near future.  Can a .30 cal can be used for a 5.56 too?  I guess that would need to be another thread in itself.

Brandi, the pistol offers a lot especially in the PDW size weapon.  In fact, my first AR pistol is being converted into a version for my wife's birthday this month.  She has always liked the AR and being shorter and handier is awesome.  Now mine that I am finishing up will be a 11.5: upper cause I like it, and with the the Sig Brace it feels right--and no bs wait.  I don't agree with SBR/AOW laws in the first place so I see this as a double win.  Not saying that since I don't agree with the bs laws that I want to break them, but I am that guy who will use a monkey wrench as a hammer

I do believe my next gun project is having the ground work laid.  Guess it is time to start specing it out on paper
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A little late to chime in on my own thread, but a 14 month old takes a lot of the old "free time" I had to BS

Wingman, that is great to know about the shot up brass being reusable!  That makes perfect sense since I did a bit more reading on it.

ShadowAngel, No suppressor right now but I can see the usefulness of one in the near future.  Can a .30 cal can be used for a 5.56 too?  I guess that would need to be another thread in itself.

Brandi, the pistol offers a lot especially in the PDW size weapon.  In fact, my first AR pistol is being converted into a version for my wife's birthday this month.  She has always liked the AR and being shorter and handier is awesome.  Now mine that I am finishing up will be a 11.5: upper cause I like it, and with the the Sig Brace it feels right--and no bs wait.  I don't agree with SBR/AOW laws in the first place so I see this as a double win.  Not saying that since I don't agree with the bs laws that I want to break them, but I am that guy who will use a monkey wrench as a hammer

I do believe my next gun project is having the ground work laid.  Guess it is time to start specing it out on paper
View Quote

Yes! A 30 cal can like from YHM, AAC, SilencerCo, ect that utilized a quick detach mount can be used for both .30 cal and 5.56. And they sound amazing doing so, I might add. Within a couple db of a dedicated 5.56 suppressor, and a deeper tone that's less sharp.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
ShadowAngel, that is great to know.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to buy a .556 can, and Majormalfunction talked me into a .30 can. I'm happy I did now!!

I have an 8" SBR and a 16" Encore in .300 BO. If I wasn't shooting suppressed, there are better rounds, but for suppressed use, I love the round!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top