Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2014 5:37:32 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I have about 6 years until I retire from the Army and was weighing my options on where my wife and I would like to retire. We're from South Texas, even own 10 acres here, but I dislike the drought situation constantly and the heat somewhat.

I once visited Eastern Ok when I was a teenager(i'm pretty sure it was the Kiamichi Mountain areas). All I remember is that it was beautiful country! I'm interested in the south eastern portion of the state.

Could I trouble y'all for some helpful information about the area please? (Weather, Jobs, Land Restrictions, Hunting, Fishing, Taxes, etc.) Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You might run into trouble in the SE portion of the state.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe you...but what kind of trouble?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't live down there, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night....

I think you would love it, its a beautiful part of the state, Broken Bow area in particular is great!
View Quote

Very beautiful from what I remember!

Also, I'm not necessarily confining myself to the SE portion of the state, but it caught my eye first.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Also, I'm not necessarily confining myself to the SE portion of the state, but it caught my eye first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you would love it, its a beautiful part of the state, Broken Bow area in particular is great!

What are you looking for? One of OK's best attributes is that it offers nearly all terrain features of the country in one state. You'll find access to military bases in all parts of the state which can provide you with the benefits of your retirement (OKC, Enid, Lawton, Macalester). No matter where you end up, thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Having lived in Northeast Oklahoma my whole life, I can tell you this:  We still get droughts and it still gets hot.  Maybe not South Texas level of drought and hot, but once it gets over 100 degrees (which isn't uncommon, especially in late July and all of August), hot is hot.

If you like wide open spaces and red dirt, you'll want to look at Western Oklahoma (basically everything west of I-35).  If you want trees, stay east of I-35.  Hunting can vary somewhat depending on the exact area.  I know that the Grand Lake area (around Grove if you need a city to search by) is lousy with deer.  Not sure what sort of bag limits they have on them because I've never looked, but from the folks I know that live up there, you won't have a problem filling your tags if you even kind of try.

Various areas of the State have turkey, deer, rabbit, squirrel, quail, pheasant, and dove, and the coyote is pretty much ubiquitous (and legal to take year round).  It is also possible to hunt elk and black bear in the State.  It's not legal to hunt Mountain Lions (which may or may not exist in Oklahoma, though I'm pretty sure Bigfoot keeps one as a pet).  There is also no shortage of skunks, possums or raccoons in the state.

Fishing is pretty good.  Plenty of bass, crappie, bluegill, perch, and catfish.  Should you ever get drunk enough to think noodling is a good idea, you are unquestionably too drunk to fish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What are you looking for? One of OK's best attributes is that it offers nearly all terrain features of the country in one state. You'll find access to military bases in all parts of the state which can provide you with the benefits of your retirement (OKC, Enid, Lawton, Macalester). No matter where you end up, thanks for your service!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I didn't go into great detail, did I? Well, what I'm looking for is 20-30 acres of raw land, might be open minded if there was a barn or something simple on the land, but not necessary. Timber(Pine and Hardwood). Creek sure would be nice, but not necessary. I'd like to be within 30mins to a town. We'd live on the property, build our home and do some gardening, hunting and live until I don't.

Thank you for supporting our Nation's Armed Forces!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Having lived in Northeast Oklahoma my whole life, I can tell you this:  We still get droughts and it still gets hot.  Maybe not South Texas level of drought and hot, but once it gets over 100 degrees (which isn't uncommon, especially in late July and all of August), hot is hot.

If you like wide open spaces and red dirt, you'll want to look at Western Oklahoma (basically everything west of I-35).  If you want trees, stay east of I-35.  Hunting can vary somewhat depending on the exact area.  I know that the Grand Lake area (around Grove if you need a city to search by) is lousy with deer.  Not sure what sort of bag limits they have on them because I've never looked, but from the folks I know that live up there, you won't have a problem filling your tags if you even kind of try.

Various areas of the State have turkey, deer, rabbit, squirrel, quail, pheasant, and dove, and the coyote is pretty much ubiquitous (and legal to take year round).  It is also possible to hunt elk and black bear in the State.  It's not legal to hunt Mountain Lions (which may or may not exist in Oklahoma, though I'm pretty sure Bigfoot keeps one as a pet).  There is also no shortage of skunks, possums or raccoons in the state.

Fishing is pretty good.  Plenty of bass, crappie, bluegill, perch, and catfish.  Should you ever get drunk enough to think noodling is a good idea, you are unquestionably too drunk to fish.
View Quote

Awesome info! Thank you!

Yep, east of 35 sounds like my flavor. I like to think of myself as an avid outdoorsman well versed in the woods and on the water, but there is no way i'm fishing for God's critters with my hands. Ain't brave (or drunk) enough yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I love oklahoma. There's 12 or 13 different types of terrain in the state, second only to California. People are great too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love oklahoma. There's 12 or 13 different types of terrain in the state, second only to California. People are great too.
View Quote

That's one thing I am very much looking for! I want to be around good, honest folks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't move anywhere in the state except the northeast/east side.  That area of Oklahoma is beautiful and more like what Arkansas is known for than Oklahoma.  I've lived here in central OK for several years and I've met some nice people but the actual environment being flat, treeless and just red dirt is really hard to bare when you were raised among forested, green country full of mountains and hills.  I like the friends I've made but it is extremely hard to like it here unless you were raised here I guess, it's like being raised by the ocean and getting moved to the desert.

Southeast OK is nice but if you go up north from there you'll come into thick forested beautiful country, thats where I would suggest.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Awesome info! Thank you!

Yep, east of 35 sounds like my flavor. I like to think of myself as an avid outdoorsman well versed in the woods and on the water, but there is no way i'm fishing for God's critters with my hands. Ain't brave (or drunk) enough yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome info! Thank you!

I`m in ne okieland,love my part of the state,but the question is?

do you believe in bigfoot, mountian lions or ufo`s

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, yes and yes.

Did I pass the test?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup, you'll fit in like a frog at a wetsuit convention.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea if i had a choice I would live in east oklahoma. Folks are great all around the state though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yea if i had a choice I would live in east oklahoma. Folks are great all around the state though.
View Quote

yep most people are great,but bring your own ammo we are out...

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

Did I pass the test?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

Did I pass the test?

yeppers,I`ll take a glazed doughnut and a bottle of anything....

TO GO.....

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like the eastern and north eastern portion of the state is what I'm aiming for.

Another question: Rainfall, y'll get pretty good rain? I was looking at rain water collection on whatever house I build.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not from there....
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I see.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like the eastern and north eastern portion of the state is what I'm aiming for.

Another question: Rainfall, y'll get pretty good rain? I was looking at rain water collection on whatever house I build.
View Quote

Rainfall is pretty good in spring, decent in winter (when it's not ice falling instead).  If we actually get fall, rain is pretty good then, but sometimes summer runs over fall so hard that it lasts until November when it suddenly becomes winter.  Using rainfall to supplement your water would be fine, but I wouldn't count on it to last you through the summer as a sole source of water.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ah, I see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I see.

someone post a link to the thread here detailing a non native's woes  in bucking the local good ole boys network
and activities such as pot farms, meth labs and moonshine stills are a very real reality.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

West of I35 has been pretty dry, I'm just east of I35 and its dry here, but it eases as you go further east, SE is the wettest part of the state, but I seriously doubt you could get by on rainfall alone anywhere in the state, you would need a well or be on a rural water system.
View Quote

still kinda dry up here,I`l have to go take of pic of my pond,I`m about 3feet at least down,from normal.

edit: here is how bad the drought is in my area

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Dang, I wish I had my own place to hunt and fish.  That looks like prime Sasquatch territory or as I like to call it, no such thing territory.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dang, I wish I had my own place to hunt and fish.  That looks like prime Sasquatch territory or as I like to call it, no such thing territory.
View Quote

That made me chuckle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is is squatchy?
View Quote

There is supposed to be a good video of one on Survivorman!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm pretty sure that's a Wookie copping a squat...a clear violation of the "No Potty Pictures" rule of 1897.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4J_TnMV1WTk/UzOcdzRDFVI/AAAAAAADDjs/1Ud65AFn4DY/s1600/blinking.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is is squatchy?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4J_TnMV1WTk/UzOcdzRDFVI/AAAAAAADDjs/1Ud65AFn4DY/s1600/blinking.jpg

I think I know that head,saw one just like it at barebones film fest.

might just know the maker also.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I live in south central Oklahoma and if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top