Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2014 12:11:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked the same question a few weeks ago and didn't get anything.  From what I read it was more than a rumor, the land had already been purchased and the construction was next in line.  Obviously a lot of things can go wrong in between and Cabela's won't even acknowledge a new store until the machinery is on the ground and moving dirt.

I sure would like to know, the new hospital is a for sure but as for Cabelas and Costco they aren't talking.  I figure now that it's "construction" season we'll see them break ground or not and that'll tell us something at least.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It's going around that west 71st street in Tulsa is also getting a Cabelas.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen anything new since last october
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Construction has started at memorial and western on the south side of the Kilpatrick turnpike.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Never lived this close to one before.....my wife will likely divorce me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Construction has started at memorial and western on the south side of the Kilpatrick turnpike.
View Quote

Do you know for sure that's where a Cabelas is going in? There's a St. Anthony hospital and a Costco also being built in that area.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome ---  the closest analogy i have is that if BAss Pro is equivalent to Sears,  then Cabelas is equivalent to Dillards    (my opinion )   --- i also love to pop in for a wild game sandwich at their cafe anytime i pass one by
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I just want the bargain cave
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's going around that west 71st street in Tulsa is also getting a Cabelas.
View Quote

Supposedly it's going to be in the 2nd phase of the Tulsa Hills Shopping area
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]
The construction at western and memorial is the Costco. It was told to me by a friend in the banking industry that Cabela's bought it, but has since sold it to costco, and that it may be more than a rumor of Cabela's going in up in the Tulsa area, better tax breaks that OKC is willing to give.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I heard Moore is getting one as well. On 19th street just west of Target and Dicks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
One what?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Cabela's
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok so...Cabelas was planning to built a store in north OKC (which would make sense) but then sold the land to Costco and is now building a store in Moore, the tornado capitol of the world?  Ugh
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is the latest Update:

http://www.okcfox.com/story/25692204/cabelas-plans-fall-2015-opening-in-oklahoma-city

Cabela's plans fall 2015 opening in Oklahoma City
Posted: Jun 04, 2014 10:34 AM CDT Updated: Jun 04, 2014 11:38 AM CDT

By: Jay Dillon, Senior Digital Content Manager

Bass Pro Shop in Bricktown is about to get some major competition. Another large outdoor sporting goods store announced Wednesday that it plans to open the first Cabela's in Oklahoma next year.

Cabela's Incorporated announced it plans to open an 80,000-square-foot store near the John Kilpatrick Turnpike at N. Western Avenue in October 2015.

“Cabela’s couldn’t be more excited to announce our first Oklahoma location,” said Tommy Millner, Cabela’s Chief Executive Officer.  “Customers across Oklahoma have been asking us to bring a Cabela’s store to the state for years and we look forward to bringing them the extraordinary Cabela’s experience.”

Cabela's said it will hire about 180 full-time and part-time employees once it opens.

In order to get the store, the City of Oklahoma City offered a rebate of up to $3.5 million on sales tax over a ten-year period, according to the city.

Cabela's specializes in hunting, fishing, and outdoor gear and is known for the layout of the store that surrounds customers in an outdoor-like experience. Included in the store will be a large mountain replica and wildlife displays.

The store will also include an archery range and archery tech room, deli, gun library, bargain cave, and fudge shop.
View Quote

Edit: judging by the announced square footage, it will be half sized compared to the typical stores.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#19]
north okc..............meh, guess ya'll don't remember sportsman's warehouse, traveled there to buy stuff quite a few times, but they closed shop, makes you wonder if cabelas will do good for a while there, then close shop too
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree,  This seems to go against a typical Cabela's model in that they are usually next to high traffic free ways..Hell I didn't even know Sportsman Warehouse existed until it closed. So hopefully Cabela's will have a better go of it. I was hoping they would pic Moore or Norman.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
north okc..............meh, guess ya'll don't remember sportsman's warehouse, traveled there to buy stuff quite a few times, but they closed shop, makes you wonder if cabelas will do good for a while there, then close shop too
View Quote

Sportsman's Warehouse shutdown many of their locations across the United States, it wasn't that only the OKC one wasn't doing good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Sportsman's Warehouse was pretty successful but I think they were just too big, didn't they shut down several stores around the country?

As for putting Cabelas in north OKC it makes perfect sense.  First, you have BPS already in midtown more accessible to south OKC residents than north OKC/Edmond residents.  The area along Memorial through May, Penn and Western has exploded over the last ten years and especially the last five years.  I live on Penn just south of Memorial and I'm always surprised every time I drive down Memorial because there's something new that's popped up.  The business growth in this area is phenomenal and the residences are keeping pace.  While I really wish Cabelas had decided to put a full size store, I am glad they are building here ( I admit that having them five minutes away has a lot to do with that. I may have to dust off my bow, get a new string and some pink accessories and spend some time at that range).
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some things should be kept on a need to know basis...

I only have one black rifle....... out of the safe at one time...
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#27]
You might want to attach some floaties to your new one LOL.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sportsman's Warehouse shutdown many of their locations across the United States, it wasn't that only the OKC one wasn't doing good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iirc the okc shop was doing pretty good but got tagged like gm did some dealerships
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sportsmans Warehouse shut down a bunch of stores, I don't remember the exact quantity but it was quite a few.
View Quote

I had friends that worked there. It was explained to me some of the bigger ups made bad investments and had to liquidate some stores to cover themselves.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I frequent a website called okctalk.com and the folks on there are dialed into the local real estate development scene.  They've had the scoop on this for months.  Costco fell thru at the same development as Cabela's but they are still looking for a site in OKC.  The development where Cabela's will be located is going to be a huge destination spot for folks from around the region.  As if traffic on Memorial around Western, Penn & May isn't already bad enough.  

Fair warning, the folks on that website are primarily upscale new urban types who think we all should be packed into densely populated urban centers (ie..liberals).

Also look for Trader Joes to be here in OKC in the near future, assuming those guys are right (and they usually are).
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:47:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I've heard "Trader Joe's" about a million times, my mom lives in Atlanta and really likes it, as most people seem to, but what's the deal? Do they just have cheap prices or is there something else that makes them popular?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I wish we'd get an REI, personally.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wish we'd get an REI, personally.
View Quote

I believe that website included mentions that REI is looking in the OKC area but it's very preliminary.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#34]
From cabelas website....

"Cabela's Announces Plans for Oklahoma City, Okla., Store
80,000-square-foot location scheduled to open in fall 2015

SIDNEY, Neb. (June 4, 2014) — Cabela's Incorporated, the World's Foremost Outfitter® of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, announced today plans to introduce the unique Cabela's shopping experience to customers in Oklahoma City, Okla., and the surrounding area.

Construction on the 80,000-square-foot store – Cabela's first Oklahoma location – is scheduled to begin later this year and the company anticipates a fall 2015 opening. The store will be located in the newly planned Chisholm Creek development near the John Kilpatrick Turnpike at N. Western Avenue.

"Cabela's couldn't be more excited to announce our first Oklahoma location," said Tommy Millner, Cabela's Chief Executive Officer. "Customers across Oklahoma have been asking us to bring a Cabela's store to the state for years and we look forward to bringing them the extraordinary Cabela's experience."

The store will employ approximately 180 full-time and part-time employees, with most coming from Oklahoma City and the surrounding area. It will be built in Cabela's next-generation layout, designed to surround customers in an outdoor-like experience with a large mountain replica and museum-quality wildlife displays."

There is nothing on their website indicating Tulsa will get one, only here in OKC. There are many Cabelas within driving distances from here. When i was stationed at Ellsworth AFB, SD in the 1980's and early 1990's, we used to pool our money and take turns driving to Sydney, NE with shopping list from our little group of hunters/fishermen. Was good times back then. They were only mail order then with the one store if i recall correctly. I have always been a cabelas fan. Bass Pro Shop is ok if no cabelas is around, same with gander mountain i guess. Both just my opinion.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#35]
There is a Gander Mountain going in, at Moore, USA.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is a Gander Mountain going in, at Moore, USA.
View Quote

Awesome!   Haven't been in one since 2003, and that was in Ohio.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Is that a for sure thing Mark?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#38]
The source that told me is a dependable one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#39]
They only thing I have seen for Gander Mountain is

Taking a gander at Oklahoma: Outdoor gear retailer eyes locations in Tulsa, OKC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top