Site Notices
8/19/2014 4:57:02 PM
Author
Old Guy
NRAMilitary
Posted: 1/26/2014 8:50:10 AM
and I got to wondering, How much Indian blood to you need to call yourself "Indian"?

Most of the folks on the commercials don't look like Indians. I've seen some that are Blonde, blue-eyed, fair skin. Red hair, green eyes.

Not trolling, I'm really wondering.

"DE OPPRESSO LIBER"
RIP MSG Habelman - MSG Allicoate - MSG Bitner
bsmith918
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2014 9:34:07 AM
I'm not sure of the exact requirement, but it is certainly not much. Most people that have an indian card only do so for the benefits and have absolutely no business considering themselves part of a tribe. I know that my parents, as well as my sister and I, qualify. We won't apply as we ARE NOT Native Americans in our opinions.
ar_daddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2014 10:02:27 AM
1/8 will get you in but could wrong
Sharpshooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2014 12:31:39 PM
The Choctaw nation says I have 1/4 , I have the CDIB and Tribal membership to prove it.
Sharpshooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2014 12:33:24 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ar_daddy:

1/8th is the minimum they will allow . One of the Cherokee tribes lost or was in danger of losing their recognition as a tribe because they were allowing in people who did not have an appreciable amount of Indian blood in their family.
bsmith918
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2014 12:48:55 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Sharpshooter:
Originally Posted By ar_daddy:

1/8th is the minimum they will allow . One of the Cherokee tribes lost or was in danger of losing their recognition as a tribe because they were allowing in people who did not have an appreciable amount of Indian blood in their family.

This must have been what I was thinking of. Haven't some of the Cherokee tribes been in trouble for other things, specifically cigarette tax issues?
Wingman26
Team Member
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:58:27 PM
It varies by tribe. I used to work security at some of the Pow Wows, it was always interesting to see so many blonde, blue eyed, light skinned people out there dancing. I'm 1/8 Cherokee, not registered, but you sure can't see any Indian blood by looking at me, my Dad definitely looked like he had some Indian blood, but my Grandfather who was 1/2 Cherokee was even lighter skinned than I am.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Site Staff http://mp-pistol.com/boards/
NRA Life
Amateur Radio WB5ONL
Brandi
The Pink Menace :-)
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 2:02:42 AM
Supposedly I have enough to "qualify" but from the story I was told by my older uncles and such was that there was a stigma attached to signing the rolls and many native Americans refused to do. I'm blonde and so white even Casper is afraid of me but father had black hair and light brown skin as did his many siblings, I guess I got the mom genes since she's as white as possible. I doubt I could find enough information to link any native ancestry despite knowing the lineage on my fathers side all the was to the 1700's, there is nothing indicating native heritage.

Once you get below 50% blood you will see people with 40% and they are blonde, blue eyes and white as can be. Doesn't happen as lot but it happens. Personally I don't know the extent of my native heritage, however small it may be, I'm pretty proud of it.
Sic gorgiamus allows subjectos nunc

SUPPORT YOUR RIGHT TO ARM BEARS!!!
Nick710
Old Guy
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 7:45:20 AM
I really wasn't asking what amount of Indian blood to you need to qualify for enrollment in a tribe, but rather, how much Indian blood do you need to call yourself "Indian"?

I bet the full bloods and half-bloods get really tired of all these white folks who profess to be "Indian".
"DE OPPRESSO LIBER"
RIP MSG Habelman - MSG Allicoate - MSG Bitner
Windwarrior
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 3:40:30 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Brandi:
Supposedly I have enough to "qualify" but from the story I was told by my older uncles and such was that there was a stigma attached to signing the rolls and many native Americans refused to do. I'm blonde and so white even Casper is afraid of me but father had black hair and light brown skin as did his many siblings, I guess I got the mom genes since she's as white as possible. I doubt I could find enough information to link any native ancestry despite knowing the lineage on my fathers side all the was to the 1700's, there is nothing indicating native heritage.

Once you get below 50% blood you will see people with 40% and they are blonde, blue eyes and white as can be. Doesn't happen as lot but it happens. Personally I don't know the extent of my native heritage, however small it may be, I'm pretty proud of it.

That is no story. Indians used to be very discriminated against. Denial of heritage was common if they could pull it off. Couldn't own land, couldn't marry anyone besides an Indian.

Personally, I think those that are refusing to get on the rolls are making a mistake and denying themselves exposure to a rich heritage. Just getting on the roll does not mean you have to sign up for whatever benefits you could get.
There is no road to peace that does not pass through war.
Ndenway
The original DoHS:fighting terrorism since 1492
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 4:37:30 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Nick710:
I really wasn't asking what amount of Indian blood to you need to qualify for enrollment in a tribe, but rather, how much Indian blood do you need to call yourself "Indian"?

I bet the full bloods and half-bloods get really tired of all these white folks who profess to be "Indian".

not just blood that makes people tribal
My woman and my life.
I don't care for a lot of things, but what I care for I care a lot about.
Windwarrior
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 4:56:52 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Ndenway:
Originally Posted By Nick710:

Definitely.
securitysix
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 6:58:48 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Brandi:

Story in my family is that my paternal grandmother is 1/4 Creek. She was red haired (she went gray before she was 30), blue eyes and pale as can be. My dad is slightly less pale skinned, blue eyed, red haired (he also went gray before he was 30). I'm slightly paler than my dad, red haired, and blue eyed. My mom supposedly has 1/32nd Cherokee and has dark hair and darker skinned than the lot of us, though she does have green eyes.

We couldn't get Indian benefits if we tried, though, because, like you, none of our Indian family would sign up for the rolls, so we can't "prove" anything.
securitysix
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 7:03:54 PM
[Last Edit: 1/27/2014 7:04:12 PM by securitysix]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Nick710:

"Indian" or "Native American"? My dad's family has been in the US at least since the early to mid 1800s. My mom's family has come over at varying times, but some of it traces as far back to the Quakers coming over in the 1600s. My mother's grandmother (that would be my great-grandmother) was born in Vinita in October of 1907. My mother was born in Oklahoma and my father was born in Texas. I was born in Tulsa. I am Native American.
Wingman26
Team Member
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:00:44 PM
I've been able to trace my family back to sometime in the 1700's when they started moving down thru Appalachia, but I've got some that "met the boat" as they say. My family moved into Indian Territory sometime in the 1880's, I have a letter dated 1890 that says they have already been in Indian Territory for awhile, with my Cherokee Great Grandmother and family living in Choctaw Territory, Skullyville Indian Territory.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Site Staff http://mp-pistol.com/boards/
NRA Life
Amateur Radio WB5ONL
Windwarrior
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:49:46 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By securitysix:
Originally Posted By Brandi:

Story in my family is that my paternal grandmother is 1/4 Creek. She was red haired (she went gray before she was 30), blue eyes and pale as can be. My dad is slightly less pale skinned, blue eyed, red haired (he also went gray before he was 30). I'm slightly paler than my dad, red haired, and blue eyed. My mom supposedly has 1/32nd Cherokee and has dark hair and darker skinned than the lot of us, though she does have green eyes.

We couldn't get Indian benefits if we tried, though, because, like you, none of our Indian family would sign up for the rolls, so we can't "prove" anything.

It is my understanding that there are a couple of ways to prove Native blood besides the rolls.

A family Bible is one of these I think... sometimes people kept records of things like this in a family Bible back in the old days. There are a few others but I cannot remember what they are.
streetstar
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2014 4:06:37 PM
I'm 1/8 and have blond hair and blue eyes --- have a card from the Choctaw nation, but have never been to a Choctaw function --- my dad was a bit more involved than i was though
LuckyDucky
Tier 1 Tactical Rubber Ducky
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2014 4:15:00 PM
[Last Edit: 2/1/2014 4:26:06 PM by LuckyDucky]
Different tribes have different standards.

To be Cherokee, you just have to have a Cherokee ancestor.

http://www.cherokee.org/Portals/0/Documents/2012/8/31660Application_Instructions.pdf

If you just wanted to know what it takes to be, colloquially, an "Indian," then you will not get an answer because there isn't one.

You can practice a tribal culture, you can have indian ancestors, etc. There are many ways to consider yourself indian.

If I were to ask you how you know if someone is German, you would say it's where they and their parents, and parent's parents, etc were born, where they grew up, etc.

But what if your mom was german and your dad was japanese and you spent half the year every year of your life in both countries? Then what are you? Are you exclusively one or the other?

What if your ancestors were forced to move all over the place and mix with other cultures?

sparkyD
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2014 5:26:58 PM
I think it has to do with the Role Number.
Chicken Farmer by choice hunter of shade tree's and hiding spots by nature.
GABBYG2
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2014 9:09:33 AM
My great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. Her name was Mary Ann Rainey. She was married to a Welsh Reverend named Anderson Jefferson Davis II. My grandfather told me that being on the rols was like being on welfare and refused to sign. That makes me Welsh and Cherokee on my mothers side and German on my fathers side.
OKnativeson
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/6/2014 10:22:51 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Ndenway:
Originally Posted By Nick710:

this.