Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2012 12:19:32 PM EDT
NRA argument?

Discuss.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
LE don't want you having a Can as they want to know wear the shooting comimg from ....
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Just too bad that the suppressor hunting bill introduced again this year in the Senate only allows you to exercise this right if you own land, lease land, or are a guest of the landowner. The bill is a beginning but not sure that it won't be an impediment to getting the rights opened up to all land, public and private, in the future.

Seems either you are assumed to be a poacher, only know how to use them legally while on your property or are a guest, or cannot be trusted to use them in legal manners at all by the people we elect.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The ODWC will get their supporters to come to the State Capitol and demand the bill be stopped.
A few game rangers will be told to call people they know that are vocal and tell them if this bill passes, poaching will be rampant.
They'll start screaming at legislators.
If you want the bill to pass in Oklahoma, call your legislators and tell them you support it because the suppressor is saving your hearing and gives you more opportunity to hunt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LE don't want you having a Can as they want to know wear the shooting comimg from ....

Shit, all the guys I know are for it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Are there any states that don't have suppressor restrictions?

It would be nice to know some stats from states that have few or

no restrictions on suppressors.

found the following:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...0135#Post940135

http://www.ncsilencer.com/Useful_Stuff_files/Hunting%20with%20silenced%20firearms%20article.pdf

Lots of reading on the second link.  The states are listed near the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You also have the following states introducing bills to allow suppressors for hunting. Already sent them to Senator Russell and will be sending letters to all my Reps/Sens to make sure they are aware of my views. Also sent in that last link from above as well as a state by state break down of hunting regulations for suppressors to Senator Russell as well. Just said he would consider it but he already filed the bill to only allow landowners. I think we should get the TPWD to come up and educate the Oklahoma Wildlife people because Texas found no reason, enforcement or otherwise, to prohibit the use of suppressors for hunting.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20112012/SB/301
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/feedback/meetings/2012/0126/agenda/regulations_committee/index.phtml
http://www.gem-tech.com/blog/?p=552
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My bill will go a long way toward education and regaining our rights. But if we seriously think among ourselves that the legislature will see things the same way they are seen on this board, think again. I wish it were that simple and I wish everyone looked at the 2A the way we do. Fact is, they don't. But they were willing to go with this bill last year and I think it will serve the state, 2A, landowners and hunters well. We have good momentum and will be able to work the other issues once a foundation is laid. Hard to lay the whole house. This foundation will get us in very good stead and will actually be useful. Steve
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My bill will go a long way toward education and regaining our rights. But if we seriously think among ourselves that the legislature will see things the same way they are seen on this board, think again. I wish it were that simple and I wish everyone looked at the 2A the way we do. Fact is, they don't. But they were willing to go with this bill last year and I think it will serve the state, 2A, landowners and hunters well. We have good momentum and will be able to work the other issues once a foundation is laid. Hard to lay the whole house. This foundation will get us in very good stead and will actually be useful. Steve

That is assuming that someone else will take up your drive and dedication to pushing forward on removing the infringements on the Second Amendment. I do not see any other politician introducing as many Second Amendment related bills or pushing the Second Amendment as much as you do, although I do not browse the legislation site to read every bill introduced so I might be off on this. It seems Oklahoma will lose it biggest supporter of the Second Amendment when you leave the Senate. Even if I don't agree with your approach on this bill and wonder if the bill had not been gutted last year what we/you might have been able to do this year, I do greatly appreciate your dedication on trying to remove the infringements and push the Second Amendment as well as other good causes here in Oklahoma.

Having moved from a state that didn't put these restrictions on suppressors and even select fire firearms, it is crazy to thing that as many hunters, shooters, and firearm dealers that are in this state that this restriction has not already been removed from the regulations. With every state bordering Oklahoma allowing suppressors for hunting of all game animals without land restrictions, Oklahoma sure seems to be the odd state out in this scenario. It seems that some on the board are stuck in the phase that this is the way it has always been and the Congress won't change and most of the fine folks in the Congress do not trust the people who elect them. The statistics from states that allow suppressors for hunting will easily prove that if suppressors are allowed that the dam will not break and poaching will not be any more rampant than it currently is as people do not run out to buy suppressors for poaching. It also seems, people in Oklahoma like to use the "it will be the wild west" approach if open carry is allowed, while completely ignoring the statistics from states that do have open carry. So either Oklahoma has the biggest bunch of deviants and criminals or the citizens like to elect people who do not trust them any further than the voting booth.

I would have at least preferred to try to get the prohibition removed from the regulations by tapping the massive hunting/shooting community resources here in the state, using facts from other states that do allow suppressors for hunting with no land restrictions, using statistics regarding poaching in those states and utilizing the biggest suppressor dealer in the states (located in Oklahoma) to present the facts in a way to make the Congress and Wildlife people realize their viewpoints are wrong and allowing people to use suppressors will not do anything but allow law-abiding citizens to use them and help protect their hearing in the process.

The bill could always be changed later to its current version if that process didn't enlighten people enough to get the restriction removed but I would worry that if that didn't enlighten them that this bill doesn't really have a chance. I would bet there would just be smoke and mirrors to make it seem like the Congress people support the Second Amendment but behind the scenes they just kill it off like they did with the Open Carry passing, veto, not passing scheme they pulled last year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is assuming that someone else will take up your drive and dedication to pushing forward on removing the infringements on the Second Amendment. I do not see any other politician introducing as many Second Amendment related bills or pushing the Second Amendment as much as you do, although I do not browse the legislation site to read every bill introduced so I might be off on this. It seems Oklahoma will lose it biggest supporter of the Second Amendment when you leave the Senate. Even if I don't agree with your approach on this bill and wonder if the bill had not been gutted last year what we/you might have been able to do this year, I do greatly appreciate your dedication on trying to remove the infringements and push the Second Amendment as well as other good causes here in Oklahoma.

. So either Oklahoma has the biggest bunch of deviants and criminals or the citizens like to elect people who do not trust them any further than the voting booth.

Snipped the quote.

I see you've met my state senator don barrington. He's a big believer in people owning and carrying firearms.....................as long as they are LEOs or Firefighters
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#10]
When is the vote?
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When is the vote?

It's not scheduled to be read until February 6th.

ETA: Wait, that's another bill, let me look for the right one.

ETA2: Here it is.  It's scheduled to be read on the 6th of Feb.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Another state seeing the light on hunting with suppressors!!!

Arizona introducing legislation to allow hunters that own suppressors to use them with no land restrictions.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7275
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another state seeing the light on hunting with suppressors!!!

Arizona introducing legislation to allow hunters that own suppressors to use them with no land restrictions.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7275

20, thanks for putting that up.
We need to start posting up when 2A bills will be heard in committee and held on the floor, then show up.

Website for NRA-ILA news is http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/read.aspx

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey Steve......

My wife is a Doctor of Audiology.  Is there anything she could write or do to help this legislation?  She is a firm believer in hearing protection of which suppressors are the best when shooting.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
20, thanks for putting that up.
We need to start posting up when 2A bills will be heard in committee and held on the floor, then show up.

Website for NRA-ILA news is http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/read.aspx

I would be interested in showing up to see what all is involved for the suppressors for hunting discussions. Senator Russell could post back when he knows and/or the rest of us could try and keep track of the bills to let others know. I got an extra week of vacation this year so I could use that with some notice.

My main issue is I don't see many of the resources in the state being utilized when trying to pass some of these bills. Major Malfunction, which is probably the biggest suppressor dealer in the states, lives in north OKC/Edmond and I wonder if he has even been contacted to see about setting up demonstrations or helping push this in Congress. GemTech also seems to be very involved in helping getting these types of bill pushed through and get support for them. I also wonder if our state NRA rep has been contacted to see what they can do to help with this.

Just seems that this vast amount of resources goes virtually untouched and not utilized. I am not sure if it would make a difference or not. However with this many states introducing suppressor for hunting legislation and lots of states already allowing their use, I don't see how our Congress and Wildlife department can continue to argue with flawed facts about what problems allowing suppressors for hunting on any land, private and public, will cause. Maybe people showing up so the Congress people can realize we are just law-abiding citizens who are interested in utilizing our Second Amendment rights to their fullest.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Using the following links, I made the picture of the US with regards to using suppressors while hunting just to paint a visual picture. If Texas gets game animals opened up to hunting with suppressors as non-game animals are already permitted to be hunted with suppressors, then Oklahoma will be the only one to prohibit suppressors for any kind of hunting on all lands. If we get this bill passed, we will at least be the only state that prohibits hunting with suppressors based on public/private land.

Hunting with Suppressors by State (GemTech)
Suppressor Owneship by State (SilencerCo)

If you see any errors or know of any new legislation being introduced or considered, let me know and I will update.

SEE NEW MAP BELOW!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Using the following links, I made the picture of the US with regards to using suppressors while hunting just to paint a visual picture. If Texas gets game animals opened up to hunting with suppressors as non-game animals are already permitted to be hunted with suppressors, then Oklahoma will be the only one to prohibit suppressors for any kind of hunting on all lands. If we get this bill passed, we will at least be the only state that prohibits hunting with suppressors based on public/private land.

Hunting with Suppressors by State (GemTech)
Suppressor Owneship by State (SilencerCo)

If you see any errors or know of any new legislation being introduced or considered, let me know and I will update.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/20aegti/SuppressorsforHunting.jpg

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#18]
GemTech is reporting the following on Facebook:

Originally Posted By GemTech by Facebook:
We hear that the Georgia Suppressed Hunting bill 301 unanimously just passed committee. Steps in the right direction!

While digging around on the Oklahoma Congress legislation site, I found SB 1540 which says the following:

SB1540:
An Act relating to game and fish; amending 29 O.S. 2011, Section 4-135, which relates to permits to control certain nuisance; authorizing the Department of Wildlife Conservation to issue permits for the use of sound suppressors in certain circumstances; making the permit for day use only; and providing an effective date.

Not sure why they need this bill if Senator Russell's bill gets passed since it would already be legal to do this type of hunting. If Senator Russell's bill doesn't get passed then this bill would at least help some but they would have to go through the permitting process first. You can view the entire bill here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Found out Indiana just passed a Suppressors for Hunting Bill through committee and is headed for second reading on the floor!! Updated map to show Indiana as introducing/considering legislation. With more legislation to remove restrictions on suppressors for hunting with no land restrictions, it is getting harder and harder to believe Oklahoma cannot do the same.

New Map!!!

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This has been my experience as well Marty.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This has been my experience as well Marty.

Surely you two jest because it seems that the commoners cannot be trusted to use suppressors while hunting in a law abiding and reasonable manner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#22]
The problem is some deeply entrenched high ranking bureaucrat at the ODWC doesn't like suppressors. He'll get the ODWC employees stroked up who will then stroke up some land owners they know, then the yelling and screaming will start on the state senators.
Plus some of the game rangers act as hunting guides and leasing agents for state legislators to maintain influence when it come to this type of political lobbying.
Hell, we've got one game ranger supervisor in central Oklahoma that buys up leases and resales them for a profit. He'll talk to a land owner and tell him if he leases it to him, he'll make sure there won't be any trespassing. So he gets it for a song, then leases it out for a nice profit to people with influence in state gov't.
That's how he got promoted to a supervisor.
The state gov't is ate up with influence peddling.
From the CareerTechs to the ODWC.
It's basically state employees being used to lobby the state legislature.
Welcome to Oklahoma!
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Welcome to Oklahoma!

I can quickly see that any money I spend on hunting will be spent outside this state in states that support my rights. I will gladly pay more for non-resident licenses than support a system hell bent on restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens.

I have still not found any information showing the resources that could go to completely eliminate those voices or greatly reduce those voices are being contacted or utilized. You cannot win a battle if you are not going to utilize all your resources and facts to at least try and put up a good fight. Accepting defeat or the way things were/are in the past before the fight starts seems very self-defeating!!

I read about the bills in other states having suppressor manufacturers, dealers, NRA, and other 2A groups present to testify. I then find out Major Malfunction, the biggest suppressor dealer/wholesaler in the nation, did not even know a bill dealing with suppressors for hunting had even been introduced.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Oklahoma!

I can quickly see that any money I spend on hunting will be spent outside this state in states that support my rights. I will gladly pay more for non-resident licenses than support a system hell bent on restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens.
Your opponent in this situation is the ODWC. More specifically, a high ranking bureaucrat who will pull strings on his puppet employees to see that his opinion is made into law.
I have still not found any information showing the resources that could go to completely eliminate those voices or greatly reduce those voices are being contacted or utilized. You cannot win a battle if you are not going to utilize all your resources and facts to at least try and put up a good fight. Accepting defeat or the way things were/are in the past before the fight starts seems very self-defeating!!
Until state employees are banned by state law from lobbying state legislators, this kind of crap is going to continue. Many state legislators aren't the sharpest tool in the shed and let themselves be manipulated by state employees.
I once heard a past head of CLEET in the state talk about getting dressed up in a 3 piece suit and playing games with legislators in the state capitol.

I read about the bills in other states having suppressor manufacturers, dealers, NRA, and other 2A groups present to testify. I then find out Major Malfunction, the biggest suppressor dealer/wholesaler in the nation, did not even know a bill dealing with suppressors for hunting had even been introduced.

The NRA will keep people informed about this. But if you want some political action on the "minor" issues, you need to join the 2A org here in the state.
Most of the people in this state aren't clued into the political BS that happens at the capitol. If they did, they would either throw a lot of bums into the streets or be so disgusted they wouldn't come near state gov't.

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Kansas just recently added the suppressor use for hunting, happened while I was stationed there the last 2 years.  There was a good discussion in the KS hometown forum on how they were getting the green light on hunting with suppressors.

I can't find the thread discussing it, must have gone to the archives.  But maybe someone can dig it up to get some ideas on how to push things through.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
.....  But maybe someone can dig it up to get some ideas on how to push things through.

Shotgunning it, I'd say get a bill passed prohibiting state employees from lobbying state legislators.
They have no damn business going to legislators on the taxpayers dimes and lobbying for more money for their agencies or pushing some big shot's opinion into law or from a law being passed.
Focusing on it like a laser beam, start visiting the legislators, let them see you in the balcony when the votes come up, then let them know you don't appreciate two faced elected officials. I'd also get the names of the ODWC Wildlife Commission, and start calling them with persausive arguments.
But you'll hear the same BS song and dance they've been fed from that bureaucrat at the ODWC.
Here is their names and districts. You'll have to find their numbers to call them.
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/aboutodwc/district.htm

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Is pest control considered hunting?  Blasting squirrels with a quiet .22 would be fun as shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is pest control considered hunting?  Blasting squirrels with a quiet .22 would be fun as shit.

There's a season on squirrels, so I wouldn't risk it.  Would definitely be fun though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There was a bill dealing with permits being issued for feral hog control that would allow the permit holder to use a suppressor. You can read the bill here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Man,  i have 90% hearing loss in my left ear  and need all the help i can get in this area.    I actually wear noise cancelling muffs while hunting in an attempt to conserve the hearing i have left in my left and right ears  ––––  a suppressor on most firearms doesnt make the sound go away,  but does make it a lot more tolerable.   I am for them in all ways
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Can you get a doctors prescription for a supressor?

"But, (insert badge wearing person), I have a note from my doctor.??.!!..?!?!?!?!......"
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"But, (insert badge wearing person), I have a note from my doctor.??.!!..?!?!?!?!......"

Then we could try to get them covered under medical insurance,  like a knee brace or something
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#33]
hearing aids, perhaps?  medi-care and/or disablility coverage?
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then we could try to get them covered under medical insurance,  like a knee brace or something

The shit deal is that hearing is not covered under most medical insurance, kinda like dental and vision.  Of course if you are a prisoner, medicaid, or illegal, you get hearing aids and care for free!!  Yes, I know this for a fact, as my wife is an Audiologist.......

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
..... as my wife is an Audiologist.......

And what do your husbands do for a living?
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#36]
So if my med insurance covers dental, vision, and hearing, do you think they would say something about my submitting the "AAC M4-2000" as a hearing aid?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top