Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 6:19:27 PM EDT
Whats the best place to buy a house/land and thats in a shooter friendly area w/i 35 min of Richmond?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in fluvanna county and Zion x- roads is right at 35 min to Short Pump. Plenty of rural area in between.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Amelia....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whats the best place to buy a house/land and thats in a shooter friendly area w/i 35 min of Richmond?
View Quote

The "Richmond" area encompasses a pretty big area.  Where exactly is your job going to be?  If you will be working in downtown RVA being as close as six miles can take you 30 min. depending on traffic.  If your job is in Chester, a 30 min. commute could put you 30 miles from Richmond.  If you are going to be working in the Innsbrook area you can live half way to Charlottesville and be within 35 min. to your job.

More specifics are needed to be able to give you a really good answer.  That said, don't move to New Kent.  We are full.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The "Richmond" area encompasses a pretty big area.  Where exactly is your job going to be?  If you will be working in downtown RVA being as close as six miles can take you 30 min. depending on traffic.  If your job is in Chester, a 30 min. commute could put you 30 miles from Richmond.  If you are going to be working in the Innsbrook area you can live half way to Charlottesville and be within 35 min. to your job.

More specifics are needed to be able to give you a really good answer.  That said, don't move to New Kent.  We are full.
View Quote
Timing my friend.  I use to work downtown RVA and lived 90 miles away.  I'd get to the office no later 7:30 and it was a 1.5hr commute.  RVA is the easiest metropolitan commute you will find here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The office will be in the midlothian Rt60 area
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
With Rt. 288 connecting 64 and 95 now, you can live most anywhere south or west of Richmond with little traffic worries.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Neighbor!

Quoted:

... That said, don't move to New Kent.  We are full.
There's room for one more, I moved out a few months ago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If one were to look at 35-45 minutes from short pump with water view or access, where would you pick?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If one were to look at 35-45 minutes from short pump with water view or access, where would you pick?
View Quote
Louisa County/Lake Anna
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Louisa County.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry double tap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Louisa County.
View Quote
...and you'll get to experience an earthquake or two...

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#13]
my parents live in Glen Allen, its a nice area from what I can tell. Short pump is nice too, traffic is misery though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I live and work in the city, 3 mile commute.  I have land leased in Hanover for hunting and outdoor activities.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I live and work in the city, 3 mile commute.  I have land leased in Hanover for hunting and outdoor activities.
View Quote
Sounds like a VAHTF grill-and-shoot opportunity to me...

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#16]
We moved from western NY to Powhatan. From my house off of 711, I was about 35 minutes to my job on Midlothian Turnpike (about where Pearson Hyundai is located). Powhatan is a "red" county in elections. People generally shoot on their property. I live in a subdivision, so nothing greater than an air rifle, although I do shoot the occasional subsonic .22, so I joined the Rivianna club in Charlottesville.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We moved from western NY to Powhatan. From my house off of 711, I was about 35 minutes to my job on Midlothian Turnpike (about where Pearson Hyundai is located). Powhatan is a "red" county in elections. People generally shoot on their property. I live in a subdivision, so nothing greater than an air rifle, although I do shoot the occasional subsonic .22, so I joined the Rivianna club in Charlottesville.
Hope this helps.
View Quote
RPPC is a nice club, although they have a lot of rules.  I have been a member since 2002.  I don't go much any more, as I also belong to Piedmont Sportsman Club in Gordonsville.  It is less crowded and they have a 450 yard rifle range.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

RPPC is a nice club, although they have a lot of rules.  I have been a member since 2002.  I don't go much any more, as I also belong to Piedmont Sportsman Club in Gordonsville.  It is less crowded and they have a 450 yard rifle range.
View Quote
Dang, an hour away but...being able to stretch out the rifle is an attractive bonus.

I tried searching for club-specific info related to membership, facilities...couldn't find much.

Would you happen to have a website link or other specific info about the Club?

thanks - gv
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
rrpc
View Quote
Thanks, and my apologies. I should have clarified...was looking for info on Piedmont.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks, and my apologies. I should have clarified...was looking for info on Piedmont.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
rrpc
Piedmont has a capped membership, and as a result there is a very long waiting list.  I have been in the club for over ten years.  The wait list is at least five years long at this point.  You should go ahead and join RRPC, as there is no wait, other then jumping through the hoops.

PSC holds registered trap shoots pretty regularly, and I believe those are open to the public.  That might be the best way to check out the club.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#22]
OP,

If you want to come out and take a look at RRPC, I'd be happy to give you a tour. I'm also one the guys that teaches all those rules at the club, (I don't think it's too many - and it's all about safety) so I can answer any questions you may have.

Bring a gun or two if you want.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP,

If you want to come out and take a look at RRPC, I'd be happy to give you a tour. I'm also one the guys that teaches all those rules at the club, (I don't think it's too many - and it's all about safety) so I can answer any questions you may have.

Bob S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP,

Bob S.
I think this is becoming the best option as Cavalier has a wait list as well, RRPC is about 20 minutes further out....I can manage that.

Quoted:

Piedmont has a capped membership, and as a result there is a very long waiting list.  I have been in the club for over ten years.  The wait list is at least five years long at this point.  You should go ahead and join RRPC, as there is no wait, other then jumping through the hoops.

PSC holds registered trap shoots pretty regularly, and I believe those are open to the public.  That might be the best way to check out the club.
Thank you Sir, appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think this is becoming the best option as Cavalier has a wait list as well, RRPC is about 20 minutes further out....I can manage that.

Thank you Sir, appreciate the info.
View Quote
All,

My offer for the tour of RRPC is open to anyone here.

Happy Monday part II,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Louisa County

Probably the most conservative county west of Richmond and still close to Richmond/Charlottesville/Fredericksburg

That being said - good luck with internet faster than dsl if you live outside of Lake Anna or Zion Crossroads or the Town of Louisa.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of moving to Chesterfield (just south of Hall Street Road -- the only one I know. ) So will keep checking on places to shoot.  Wife and adult daughter teach at VCU.

-- Chuck
View Quote
Welcome to the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I live in Chesterfield there's a few half decent places to shoot. Colonial Shooting Academy isn't half bad and would be my recommendation, but you have to look out for the idiots.  If your looking for something outside look into conservation park.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#29]
In Powhatan also.  Something WEST of Richmond will serve you well.  Amelia, Powhatan, Goochland, Buckingham, etc.  Depends on your needs (shopping, Cable TV, internet, etc, etc).
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In Powhatan also.  Something WEST of Richmond will serve you well.  Amelia, Powhatan, Goochland, Buckingham, etc.  Depends on your needs (shopping, Cable TV, internet, etc, etc).
View Quote
Also in Powhatan and I agree
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in western Hanover ;Beaverdam and work in rt60/288 area.It is about a 40 min ride one way for me ,pretty much 55 -70 mph the whole way .As far as shooting goes, living in the country has its perks.
Nothing like standing in the shallow end of the pool slapping steel with an ice cold cocktail beside you
I'm going to miss summer
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm in western Hanover ;Beaverdam and work in rt60/288 area.It is about a 40 min ride one way for me ,pretty much 55 -70 mph the whole way .As far as shooting goes, living in the country has its perks.
Nothing like standing in the shallow end of the pool slapping steel with an ice cold cocktail beside you
I'm going to miss summer
View Quote
We're practically neighbors!  Do you belong to Cavalier?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm going to miss summer
View Quote
...and we haven't had a cook-out at your place yet, why?

Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Western Hanover (Rockville, Montpelier), or Eastern Hanover (black creek), Eastern Goochland, Eastern Powhatan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top