Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2017 12:43:25 PM EDT
Just got the email that The Gun Dude in Falls Church is closing down.  Sad to see them go, transferred many items through them and never had a bad experience.  Any Nova members have recommendations for FFLs with a $25 transfer fee that are on par with the experience of TGD?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got the email.  

These guys were highly tech-savvy and good at what they did.  Sad to see them go.

The email mentions them "selling all fixtures."  Another email mentions they have a press and were accepting AK kits to build; plus they made kydex holsters;  if anyone's looking for gunsmithing stuff, now is the time to ask the Dude.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That is seriously sad news. One of the only FFL shops I've been to that grasped the concept of being friendly and helpful. They'll be sorely missed.

Prior to TGD's arrival, I was using NOVA Armament out in Herndon. Transfers are $30, and they are good people. I'll most likely go back to using them. Only drawback for us folk inside the Beltway is that Herndon is a bit of a hike. TGD was in a perfect location.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is seriously sad news. One of the only FFL shops I've been to that grasped the concept of being friendly and helpful. They'll be sorely missed.

Prior to TGD's arrival, I was using NOVA Armament out in Herndon. Transfers are $30, and they are good people. I'll most likely go back to using them. Only drawback for us folk inside the Beltway is that Herndon is a bit of a hike. TGD was in a perfect location.
View Quote
This, there's gotta be places closer by that are worth giving my business to
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This, there's gotta be places closer by that are worth giving my business to
View Quote
There's NOVA Firearms in McLean
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just went by

The AK press sold.  I think they still have a kydex holster press and some sight pushers.

The TV is for sale.  Gun  racks for sale.  Lockers for sale. Everything.

Did see a nice Argy bolt action C& R carbine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know I'm a bit of a hike for you NoVA guys, but I'm at $20 per 4473.  Take advantage of the those online deals and save on the transfer.
View Quote
We know Chris , you might be my go to for the foreseeable future now
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Having never dealt with The Gun Dude before, can someone post the e-mail? I may have a friend interested in some of the stuff they are selling.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a bummer. Super good folks, used them a bunch, and actually have something ordered months ago on backorder that was supposed to go there.

They were in a tough spot, I imagine it's difficult to make ends meet on a prime business location with mostly FFL transfers and no real inventory/ammo or any of the good money makers. From a business standpoint, they could have probably done more to stock parts, etc. to have made themselves more of a destination for browsing than jus seeing what they had when you went to pick up.

Josh's email did say they're leaving Falls Church, any idea if there is some other plan in the works?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
For other FFL in Fairfax there is Fairfax Armory on 29 east of Lowes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Too bad.  Place was a hike from my place (more traffic than distance), so I only dropped by once, but they seemed like decent folks.

I usually use Nova Armament unless there is more than one transferable item in a shipment.  Then it is QT in Woodbridge.  $15 + 5$ for each additional item...and great folks.  The downside is that they have tons of cool stuff in their store, so it's hard to get out of there without buying more.  Last time what I saved on transfer fees went into a rifle I bought off their wall.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I do all my transfers through either Nova Armament or Hanson Brothers.  Can't recommend both highly enough.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I did a transfer through them and was impressed with their customer service.  As someone mentioned, they were tech savvy and definitely trying to create a community gun shop.  However, I can understand with the slowdown in firearms sales plus dropping prices it must have been difficult to keep the lights on in Fairfax.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Going to miss the gun dude.  I've conducted many transfers there.  They sure made it painless via their website procedure wise.

I just pick up my transfer on my way home from DC.

Anyone know the reason they are closing shop?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For other FFL in Fairfax there is Fairfax Armory on 29 east of Lowes.
View Quote

Heh.  I drive by there all the time, and never realized they were there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Going to miss the gun dude.  I've conducted many transfers there.  They sure made it painless via their website procedure wise.

. . .

Anyone know the reason they are closing shop?
View Quote
Josh was in the shop this week when I stopped by; he said - in front of all the customers - that he is  $60,000 in debt.  I'd imagine that is the reason.

Hopefully, his inventory and fixtures (EVERYTHING is for sale) will sell for $60K.  

One suggestion: a customer unwisely asked him: "will discount prices drop further as you get close to closing time?"  Josh showed a lot of restraint, but the question clearly didn't sit well with a man $60k in the hole.  

Make him a fair offer if you stop by.  Everything is (I think) 15% off.

I wish him well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Josh was in the shop this week when I stopped by; he said - in front of all the customers - that he is  $60,000 in debt.  I'd imagine that is the reason.

Hopefully, his inventory and fixtures (EVERYTHING is for sale) will sell for $60K.  

One suggestion: a customer unwisely asked him: "will discount prices drop further as you get close to closing time?"  Josh showed a lot of restraint, but the question clearly didn't sit well with a man $60k in the hole.  

Make him a fair offer if you stop by.  Everything is (I think) 15% off.

I wish him well.
View Quote
sound like his other ventures went south on him, such a shame that he has to close TGD to cover his debts but the location had to be costing him an arm and a leg in rent each month, hence why they had to raise their rates to $25 from $20 per transfer
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Shit I have a can in jail there. Not sure how this is going to work. Sad to see them go.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Never been there, but I know more than one Virginia dealer who is on the edge of calling it quits. Long-time dealers that are good business people. Sad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shit I have a can in jail there. Not sure how this is going to work. Sad to see them go.
View Quote
Based on what an employee said to me(today) - VERY well - apparently ATF is going to try to expedite some things?

I stopped by today, Josh was an awesome guy to chat with (an hour+). They cleaned out the store pretty good from what I could tell. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors, seems like they had a good run but couldn't keep the lights on with transfers alone
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Based on what an employee said to me(today) - VERY well - apparently ATF is going to try to expedite some things?

I stopped by today, Josh was an awesome guy to chat with (an hour+). They cleaned out the store pretty good from what I could tell. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors, seems like they had a good run but couldn't keep the lights on with transfers alone
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent customer service was TGD's specialty from the very start; I would not worry about Josh taking a personal interest in seeing every transfer through to completion.

Glad to here Josh and his crew have largely cleaned out the inventory.  I wish them well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know I'm a bit of a hike for you NoVA guys, but I'm at $20 per 4473.  Take advantage of the those online deals and save on the transfer.
View Quote
+1 on Hansohn Brothers. Yes, a little bit of a drive but a FIRST CLASS operation (and people).
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone run into the Gun Dude's former employee (assistant mngr?) who went by the nick-name "Cheech?"  

He was always a great guy at the shop and consistently followed the Dude's policy of excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I noticed while driving by over the weekend that Nova Armament or Armory has signs in the Gun Dude's old spot, anyone know anything about this?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, my buddy and I noticed it while out Jeepin' around a few weeks ago and stopped in. Guy was pretty friendly, they had some nice stuff and prices seemed decent. He had a SIG 551A1 for about 1800 which I would have snapped up if I didn't have one already.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, my buddy and I noticed it while out Jeepin' around a few weeks ago and stopped in. Guy was pretty friendly, they had some nice stuff and prices seemed decent. He had a SIG 551A1 for about 1800 which I would have snapped up if I didn't have one already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After a 2 year run in the heart of McLean, they closed that location and moved into the space previously occupied by the Gun Dude.

McLean's loss is Falls Church's gain I suppose.  

The owner is a U.S. veteran and a good guy.  When the McLean nut jobs protested his local store, we stood up for him with lots of help from VCDL.  

All gun businesses are struggling.  Let's try to keep them all afloat if possible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All gun businesses are struggling.  Let's try to keep them all afloat if possible.
View Quote
Amen.  The closest place to me is Quantico Tactical, and I'm extremely thankful.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Isn't QT is like $20 for the first one and $5 for others?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Isn't QT is like $20 for the first one and $5 for others?
View Quote
$15 + $2 for VA
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I've decided to split my transfers between Hansohn Brothers when i can take the trip down and make a day of it or Vienna Arsenal - they operate pretty much on the same premise as Gun Dude did, fill out the form online and wait for your whatever to come it and at the same price point
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#31]
NOVA Firearms Returns to Falls Church After Taking Over The Gun Dude’s Lease
By Matt Delaney

Local gun store NOVA Firearms re-entered Falls Church last month, taking over the lease of former gun store, the Gun Dude Cafe, at its site above Bedo’s Leatherworks.

City residents are likely somewhat acquainted with the returning store — the business was previously in the same location it is now before relocating to McLean in 2013. In addition, NOVA Firearms also had a short stint in Falls Church proper when it opened amid controversy across the street from St. James School on West Broad St. in February 2016 before closing just two months later.

Back then the establishment suffered from some internal conflict when one of its investors had a different vision for a gun store’s role in the community, according to co-owner Rachel Dresser. When a wind storm caused a patio umbrella from Einstein Bros. Bagels’ to cut loose and break store windows, ownership determined it wasn’t the right time to set up shop in Falls Church.

Now roughly a year and a half later, NOVA Firearms has returned under new management, though that wasn’t planned either. With a Republican president, the gun industry cooled and caused NOVA to downsize. A new landlord was ready to bring them onboard in McLean, but a Facebook post erroneously accused co-owner JB Gates of participating in August’s “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville and gave the landlord cold feet.

Fortunately, the Gun Dude was closing up shop and owner Joshua Karrasch offered to pass the baton off to Dresser and Gates for their second stay in Falls Church.

“We weren’t aware of the nature of Falls Church and how close everything was,” Dresser said. “It was after we sat down and talked with [Karrasch] and let him know we didn’t mean to step on his toes with our business [back in 2016]. That led to [Karrasch] being hugely helpful with us. We wouldn’t have made it through that four-week period of no business if not for him.”

City of Falls Church Chief of Police Mary Gavin believes that Karrasch put forth a good template for the NOVA owners to follow. The openness the Gun Dude possessed about discussing gun ownership along with the infrastructure such as gun cages in the store’s back helped insure there’d be less overhead costs for NOVA.

NOVA is looking to take that a step further and introduce themselves to the City’s elected officials during the public comment section at a City Council meeting in the near future. The store also received a big leg-up from Bedo’s familiarity with the business.

“He wasn’t afraid of the industry,” Dresser continued. “He knows the regulations, and that we have the cages and the security. We understand we’re a target…We’re a desirable [entity] with high regulations so people who think we don’t meet those regulations will try to come after us.”

Bedo’s being accustomed to the gun industry is important for NOVA to land its lease, but it doesn’t mean that residents are willing to greet them with that same acceptance.

“They should change their name. [Former owner] Dennis Pratt had a bad reputation,” Carol Luten said. Luten, a Falls Church resident, is a local anti-gun violence advocate who stages monthly vigils outside the National Rifle Association’s Fairfax office while also pushing legislation that would restrict access to gear such as suppressors and assault rifles. “They should also consider having a softer marketing touch for Falls Church. A sign that has a bullet in it is not welcoming,” she said.
Luten added that she thinks the store should conduct universal background checks (which are required for federally licensed firearms dealers) as well as provide training with gun purchases.

One final area of concern is the sale of bump-fire stock attachments, that gained both notoriety and popularity following the mass shooting in Las Vegas. The attachment, which allow legal semi-automatic gunfire to mimic illegal fully automatic gunfire, are also not a part of the store’s inventory and never have been due to a lack of interest in local gun owners.

For now, the focus for NOVA is about fostering a connection with the community and increasing awareness about gun facts to ease any possible tension. Luten believes that hosting a joint forum between her group of advocates and the owners of NOVA can provide an opportunity for locals to do just that.

NOVA Firearms Returns to Falls Church After Taking Over The Gun Dude’s Lease
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
It IS a bit of a hike, but it's a pleasant trip out of the DC area.  You did a good job for me. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Fairfax Armory opened up by the Walmart on Lee Highway. $25 transfers.

11125 Lee Hwy, Fairfax, VA 22030
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top