Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 4:33:57 PM EDT
I recently took John Murphy's "Concealed Carry Foundation Skills" course on August 5th. I'm not a great writer, and I apologize if this is awkward and short, I’m limited to 2000 characters :)

Overall, I learned a lot. This class is set up for beginners, which is great, considering my actual shooting mechanics were all "jacked up". We started the day by doing introductions (11 students), meeting John's assistants,  and going over range rules and familiarization. Then it was off to the classroom for discussions on firearms safety, dos and don'ts for concealed carry, and the effectiveness of pistol rounds. Following the classroom discussions, we went back to the range where John discussed firearms safety again, and we started performing dry-firing  drills. First up was basic pistol marksmanship, checking grips, site picture formation, and several dry firing drills to get a feel for the gun. Then we started working on the draw stroke in stages, again with no live ammo.

After lunch, we started with live-fire drills. These started off basic, shooting, trigger control, reloading, then started the draw stroke at 3, 5, and 7.5 yard ranges. Then we started controlled pair, followed by controlled strings and groups. After a couple of hours of this, we went back to the classroom to discuss legal issues and when it's appropriate to use deadly force. We wrapped up in the classroom with a basic first-aid demonstration on how to use Israeli Battle Dressings and tourniquets.
After the 2nd classroom discussion, we went back to the range to shoot for qualification.

I really enjoyed the pace of the class, and the fact that while we were pressured to perform, it was still a beginners class. I still have a lot of practice and work to do to become proficient, but at least, now I know what to do and where to improve. John's teaching methods follow a description of the technique, and then demonstrations, followed by close supervision and critiques of technique.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice review. John provides knowledge and builds skills. More people should go see him. It would be time well spent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top