Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2017 10:04:52 AM EDT
I recently inherited an old Winchester 1897 in poor condition and I 'd like to have it restored. Does anyone know of a reputable restoration shop here in VA? In NOVA if it makes  a difference. Found several online but I'd like to avoid shipping it if possible. thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were an HK, I know EXACTLY who to send it to.

For what you have, I can't think of anybody instate. One thing you have to decide is if you want it refinished or truly restored. There are plenty of places in Virginia who can refinish it and make it look and shoot pretty good. A "restoration" is a whole different playing field.

If money is no object, Turnbull Restorations would be my first choice. However, they always have quite a backlog of work and yes, it will be expensive.

I am also interested if anybody has a real recommendation
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply! I did come across Turnbill online and you confirmed my suspicions about them being pricey. I just want it looking decent so it lasts another 100 years. not factory restored new, just fix the finish and return it to a serviceable operating condition
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just finishing off a customers Winchester model 62, .22 caliber pump rifle. I tend to do alot of restore work since coming to NOVA 5 yrs ago. Get ahold of me and we can talk.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
thank you pm sent
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are plenty of places in Virginia who can refinish it and make it look and shoot pretty good.

View Quote
can you share some places that you know who do refinishing? thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are plenty of places in Virginia who can refinish it and make it look and shoot pretty good.

I know of Hatfields in Manassas but I have never done any business with them so I don't know that I can recommend them.

I've had some NFA engraving done by Sterling Arsenal in NoVa and seen some of their work. Again, not really a recommendation.

I do recommend Jeff at US Tactical great guy! but I don't know if he works on lever actions.

I believe Blue Ridge Arsenal has a gunsmith who used to post in this forum but I cannot remember the username.

You could also try Clark Brothers but again, I am not offering a particular recommendation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top