Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 2:40:34 PM EDT
On WTOP this morning they had a short report about private parties using gun show troopers to run NICS checks for private sales.  

From the 77 gun shows that have occurred in the year since this program has been available only 54 checks have been performed, with only 1 prohibited.  

Regular FFL checks were reported in the tens of thousands, and only 300 prohibited sales.  

ETA- This program is voluntary, not required for private sales.  

Couldn't find the WTOP report on their site.  

Gun show in Chantilly is this upcoming weekend btw.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I worked the VCDL table at the Dale City show yesterday. Those guys looled pretty lonely.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do private sales in Virginia require a NICS?  We're moving to VA in the next few months and I've somehow acquired more firearms than my wife says I need.  

-- Chuck
View Quote
No NICS checks are not required, you need to determine that the buyer is a VA resident(DL) and not a prohibited person, usually a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) is an indication that the buyer is not a felon, etc.

There are provisions for military who are PCSed to Va, see Va State Police site for more info.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do private sales in Virginia require a NICS?  We're moving to VA in the next few months and I've somehow acquired more firearms than my wife says I need.  

-- Chuck
View Quote
If you are going to sell some of your collection after you move here, make sure to establish Virginia residency FIRST. You do not want it to appear as an Interstate transfer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

-- Chuck
View Quote
no, it is not required as others have posted. The state police give you the option to swing by there booth at the gun shows and do a check on a private sale if you with to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

-- Chuck
View Quote
Sorry for the confusion.  The other guys cleared it up, but I should have noted this is a voluntrary program available only at gun shows.  It is still permitted to make sales at the gun show with out the checks (so long as you are not an FFL).
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

-- Chuck
View Quote
NOT REQUIRED.  Just become a VA resident first.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No NICS checks are not required, you need to determine that the buyer is a VA resident(DL) and not a prohibited person, usually a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) is an indication that the buyer is not a felon, etc.

There are provisions for military who are PCSed to Va, see Va State Police site for more info.
View Quote
And don't get into the trap I'm in for military - I'm a resident of another state, with orders to Maryland but living in Virginia.  So, I'm not a VA resident and depending on who you talk to I can (possibly) buy long guns but nothing else.  Thought about changing residency but the tax differences would eat up all the gun fund...
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And don't get into the trap I'm in for military - I'm a resident of another state, with orders to Maryland but living in Virginia.  So, I'm not a VA resident and depending on who you talk to I can (possibly) buy long guns but nothing else.  Thought about changing residency but the tax differences would eat up all the gun fund...
View Quote
Unless there is more to it than you are saying, if you live in Virginia, then you are resident of Virginia for GCA68 purposes. I too am a resident of another state (Texas), but the days of the year I am living in VA make me a VA resident on those days for GCA68 purposes, even though I have zero documentation other than a property tax bill.

Check ATF website for more details

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-constitutes-residency-state
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top