Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 2:13:20 AM EDT
Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out if anyone else is having trouble with Sprint. I had to switch to Sprint after the buy out of Ntelos. I have not been happy with my service since the buy out. I live in the city and I am a mile if not less than a mile away from their towers and our service is just terrible. My family and I have problems calling and texting and receiving both calls and text. We can stand right next to each other and call and it will go right into our voice mail. Or if one of us can answer the phone that is calling us just keeps ringing. We have also had problems with our data. We have been told that our data has been used up when we are not even using the phones. When we do use apps or getting on the net we use WiFi. Rarely do we use them without WiFi.

Today 7/20/2017 we were unable to use our phones at all. We didn't know that our phones had no service until late in the day. I called Sprint local store. No help. I call the call center and I get put on hold for an hour and then they hangup on me. I take it to Facebook and they are more than willing to help. They try calling me and cannot get through. Messages after that go unanswered. This has been going on now for about four months. Its been spread out over a few weeks but lately its happening ever other day. I needed 911 the other day and I could not get the call to go through. My family could not get their phone to call either. We had to have another family member who is not a Spring customer call.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems? Or any other problems?

I was given a credit and then charged the amount of the credit and fifteen bucks more because we were told we used our date. When I had Ntelos I never went over my data until they switched the towers to Sprint towers. I was charged $15 bucks for the data being lost. The crazy thing was I wasn't even on my phone and had no apps open. I kept getting a text that said I was going over my data plan. Within ten to fifteen minutes I was charged over $300 bucks for data overages. I had a hard time getting that one cleared up.

I'm just trying to pinpoint if it is our phones that are getting no service and having these kinds of problems or if it others are having the same problems. I told Sprint tonight that if it does not change I will not being my bill for a service I can't use. I will take my one phone on contract and leave. I will see them in court before I pay. I told them they could consider my iPhone 6s as severance pay for the service I cannot use.

Sound off below with your good or bad experience.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out if anyone else is having trouble with Sprint. I had to switch to Sprint after the buy out of Ntelos. I have not been happy with my service since the buy out. I live in the city and I am a mile if not less than a mile away from their towers and our service is just terrible. My family and I have problems calling and texting and receiving both calls and text. We can stand right next to each other and call and it will go right into our voice mail. Or if one of us can answer the phone that is calling us just keeps ringing. We have also had problems with our data. We have been told that our data has been used up when we are not even using the phones. When we do use apps or getting on the net we use WiFi. Rarely do we use them without WiFi.

Today 7/20/2017 we were unable to use our phones at all. We didn't know that our phones had no service until late in the day. I called Sprint local store. No help. I call the call center and I get put on hold for an hour and then they hangup on me. I take it to Facebook and they are more than willing to help. They try calling me and cannot get through. Messages after that go unanswered. This has been going on now for about four months. Its been spread out over a few weeks but lately its happening ever other day. I needed 911 the other day and I could not get the call to go through. My family could not get their phone to call either. We had to have another family member who is not a Spring customer call.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems? Or any other problems?

I was given a credit and then charged the amount of the credit and fifteen bucks more because we were told we used our date. When I had Ntelos I never went over my data until they switched the towers to Sprint towers. I was charged $15 bucks for the data being lost. The crazy thing was I wasn't even on my phone and had no apps open. I kept getting a text that said I was going over my data plan. Within ten to fifteen minutes I was charged over $300 bucks for data overages. I had a hard time getting that one cleared up.

I'm just trying to pinpoint if it is our phones that are getting no service and having these kinds of problems or if it others are having the same problems. I told Sprint tonight that if it does not change I will not being my bill for a service I can't use. I will take my one phone on contract and leave. I will see them in court before I pay. I told them they could consider my iPhone 6s as severance pay for the service I cannot use.

Sound off below with your good or bad experience.

Thanks everyone.
View Quote

Many years ago I had Sprint and even by Dulles Airport got bad coverage.  It might have changed, but we switched to Verizon.  Love them or hate them, I have coverage up and down the east coast and major cities, coverage is good.  Customer service, Billing etc. is a different story.  

I think that both AT&T and Verizon have credits to switch plans, unless your bound by your employer or other special circumstances, I would evaluate switching.  If you cannot switch, goto a real Sprint store and see if switching phones solves the problem, it could be a phone or update issue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had Sprint since I got stationed up in NOVA after basic. I've found strange areas where I'll spontaneously lose connection for no reason like 95 bridge over the Rappahannock. I live out in Spotsylvania now and get cruddy cell signal in my neighborhood but drive 3 minutes towards Route 3 and I'm back on full speed LTE. At home I'm on my WIFI so my phone uses that for calls and works good. Besides in more rural areas I've not experienced serious signal loss that others don't on other plans.

As for the data usage, have you looked at your phone usage area on your phone? Maybe something is using data without you realizing it. The loss of signal and not receiving calls I don't know. I've had that happen before, but it was once off issues. Restarting my phone normally fixed the issue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
When we moved to Sprint from Ntelos after the buyout they put a SIM card in my iPhone and gave my mom a new phone for free. Its an HTC Bolt. It has some software issues I have read. I'm told I have to send it back and be without phone for a few weeks. Oh and I will still pay full price of service without a phone. I found HTC has problems with the Bolt on the net Sprint didn't tell me this.

I have all my apps turned off for cellular data. Only Wi-Fi. So not sure what is going on there. I have also seen that I am not the only one running into these issues locally. I still have no phone service today.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Sprint reliability has gone in the toilet.  They're ranked 4th out of 4 nation wide networks for a very good reason.

If I had to guess, they're maintaining the minimum # of radios specific to whatever band your old carrier was on in order to keep the spectrum.  That means spotty signals, and poor coverage.  

Personally, I dumped them after almost 20 years.  (My first Sprint phone was actually from APC, who was one of the first PCS testers in the DC Metro area).  It got old not getting calls when I had full signal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sprint reliability has gone in the toilet.  They're ranked 4th out of 4 nation wide networks for a very good reason.

If I had to guess, they're maintaining the minimum # of radios specific to whatever band your old carrier was on in order to keep the spectrum.  That means spotty signals, and poor coverage.  

Personally, I dumped them after almost 20 years.  (My first Sprint phone was actually from APC, who was one of the first PCS testers in the DC Metro area).  It got old not getting calls when I had full signal.
View Quote
I just found a post on Facebook of people saying the same thing I am saying. People being charged for overage of data in excess of $300 bucks. I went into the store today and the did something to my phone and was able to get text working (anyone with an iPhone could text me) and then said it was working with phone calls. I picked up my parents phone and (under my contract) and hit dial to call me. It wouldn't go into voice mail it would just ring on their phone but not on mine. The guy took it back and looked at both phones. He made a trouble ticket (something that was supposed to have been done already. Big shocker. It wasn't) and gave me back my phones. He tried to upgrade my phone to a new plan. I told him if things are not fixed by tomorrow I am history and I am keeping my phone. It will work as an iPod.

Tonight I get home to a message that Sprint will call me tomorrow. I will be going prepaid. I will see what a no contract phone will be like.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I used Sprint for work a couple of years ago. It was spotty coverage. At times it worked fine, other times I would drop calls and would not even move.

I have had AT+T for years for my personal phone. No real issues with them for the most part. I did have an issue when AT+T changed a few years back. I would drop calls all the time. Basically every time my phone switched cell towers, it would drop calls. The fix was getting a new phone. It solved the issue. It was explained to me it had something to do with software/hardware compatibility issues. I have never had any issue with AT+T since. The phone was free since I was past my contract date. I did have to sign a new 2 year contract for the free phone. My company phone is now also AT+T and I have not had any issues with it either.

I would say time to dump Sprint.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:46:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I dumped Sprint. I gave them until 3:30om to fix the issue. They called and dropped my bill for no service down to $13 bucks. Only because I could not use 911. I was told a rep would call me later in the day. I have yet it hear from them. I also found out that I had not used my data on either phone. When I was with Ntelos I had less data and was on it a lot. Never used it all. Never came close.

I switched to an off contract phone with AT&T. It's a ZTE Blade Spark and it's one that is taking on higher end flagship phones. So far so good. I miss my iPhone but not sure why. I never used FaceTime. Well maybe a few times. The good news is I have a working phone. Actually two phones. I am also paying $20 bucks less a month. I get two free months of service. AT&T will pay me $80 bucks back to use their service.

I see less bars on my phone but calls are crystal clear and I have not dropped a call yet. Not even in the hospital where a lot of phones have trouble. I'm happy for now. I have freedom to do whatever I want. Contract or stay off contract. I have to turn my iPhone in. But I'm thinking of keeping it. Four months of in and out service and other crap they should call it severance pay. Or I can keep making post on their page and stirring the pot. A thorn in their greedy little side.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Had Sprint. Switched to MetroPCS. Same spotty service at a third of the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top