Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2017 11:08:34 AM EDT
What is your average commute like? I do not want to live in maryland.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I only made the trip a few times from Arlington to Meade and I cringe even thinking about it. Youve got the first issue of crossing into DC. Then driving out to Meade. I couldn't do it day after day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only made the trip a few times from Arlington to Meade and I cringe even thinking about it. Youve got the first issue of crossing into DC. Then driving out to Meade. I couldn't do it day after day.
View Quote
It may be between that and living in MD lol...

I am thinking the earlier I would leave the better.....

Google says 49 minutes with usual traffic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:Google says 49 minutes with usual traffic.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
What are your depart times from home and Meade?  Makes a lot of difference.  And where in NoVa are you?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What are your depart times from home and Meade?  Makes a lot of difference.  And where in NoVa are you?
View Quote
This, if you can leave NoVA by 6-630 and get out by 3:00 you might have a chance.  From Fairfax Cty, PWC, etc, the direct route is 495, across the AL bridge, to 95 or 29 and go north.  From the Arlington side its 495 across the Wilson Bridge, 495 to 95 or 295.

Have a buddy who has an offer out in Ashburn, he's planning to leave 630 and return about 800, I said yea your going to miss most of the traffic, but makes for a long day.

It's the unpredictability, 75% will be ok, the other 25% there will be an accident, road construction, weather, etc could make it a 2+ hour trip.  I had clients in Baltimore coming from the Dulles airport area, it took a pay cut not to have to cross an bridge regularly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This, if you can leave NoVA by 6-630 and get out by 3:00 you might have a chance.  From Fairfax Cty, PWC, etc, the direct route is 495, across the AL bridge, to 95 or 29 and go north.  From the Arlington side its 495 across the Wilson Bridge, 495 to 95 or 295.

Have a buddy who has an offer out in Ashburn, he's planning to leave 630 and return about 800, I said yea your going to miss most of the traffic, but makes for a long day.

It's the unpredictability, 75% will be ok, the other 25% there will be an accident, road construction, weather, etc could make it a 2+ hour trip.  I had clients in Baltimore coming from the Dulles airport area, it took a pay cut not to have to cross an bridge regularly.
View Quote
Just to be clear, you mean he lives in ashburn and has an offer in MD, right?  Just collecting different commute info ;)
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, you mean he lives in ashburn and has an offer in MD, right?  Just collecting different commute info ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buddy works at John Hopkins Labs in MD and put an offer on a house in Ashburn VA to get out of Montgomery County/MD "S-hole" in his words.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Buddy works at John Hopkins Labs in MD and put an offer on a house in Ashburn VA to get out of Montgomery County/MD "S-hole" in his words.
View Quote
Holy hell thats a long way.  (on the map anyway,I'm not a local...)
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Holy hell thats a long way.  (on the map anyway,I'm not a local...)
View Quote

You are right. When I was a year out of college I was offered a job in Baltimore (lived in NoVa). I entertained that briefly, but longer than I should have.

I live about 12-14 miles closer to Ft. Meade than Ashburn, but there is zero chance I would do that commute for the sake of my dog, my wife, and my kids.

-shooter
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is your average commute like? I do not want to live in maryland.
View Quote

30 years, nothing has changed.

I lived in Alexandria off Reynolds with easy access to 495, and it took me 35 minutes to get to OPS1 leaving at 0600.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd rather live in PA and drive down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done the drive from NoVA to Laurel and on up to Edgewood many times... not a commute per se, but for meetings/client visits.  It usually  isn't too bad, although the top of the Beltway can slow considerably - or can be at a dead fucking stop for no apparent reason.  Once you hit 95 going north, it's clear sailing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Google says 49 minutes with usual traffic.
View Quote
Ha!  That's not a commute.

That's not even with traffic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck that noise. ^
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I do not want to live in maryland.
View Quote

While the philosophy here in Arlington (between Honduras and Guatemala) is more in synch with Maryland than the Commonwealth, pre-emption saves us from a great deal of the crap Arlington libtards desire.  (Thanks VCDL!!!)

My gig is next door to Ft. Meade in Columbia.  I'd suggest factoring the afternoon commute into your decision.  If I leave Columbia NLT 1430, then the afternoon commute is about 10 minutes longer than the morning commute.  Every minute after a 1430-departure adds up to 2 minutes to the homebound commute.  After 1530?  Forget about it.  Unless you like to sit in lots of traffic for a long time.  (As others have mentioned, $hit happens ... and then the timetable blows up.)

Depending on your location at Meade, you can probably deduct 5-10 minutes from the pix below.  (Note: Early, I-95 flows at 70 mph.  The BW Pkwy goes fast, but speeding tickets are a Federal ding, so I avoid it in the morning.  Afternoons I always use BW Pkwy ... the Beltway sux, even during my preferred times.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all of the replies guys, this is very helpful. I am working on getting a new job, but pretty much I would have to work in NOVA somewhere or Ft. Meade.

I would really like to get a job at Ft. Meade even if it is not exactly the gig I am looking for.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fuck that noise. ^
View Quote
It's like you don't want to get up at 3:30 to get to work before traffic gets heavy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I know I'm late but I drive there every other month. Have also had friends do the daily.

Morning can be done in just under an hour. If you leave on time and don't hit traffic.

Afternoons will almost always take you closer to hour and a half to two hours. If traffic or an accident then plan on much longer
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#20]
It is a brutal drive because of the bridges and DC Beltway snarls.  Morning won't be bad at 6 or even 6:30 but afternoon is a killer as early as 2:30PM.  

If I were doing it, I'd do a combination of Metro and MARC (Metro to Greenbelt or New Carrollton then MARC to Odenton or Jessup).

You can also leave a car overnight at Greenbelt Metro.  Metro up to Greenbelt then drive the last 15-20 minutes.  

Living is MD is not terrible.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's like you don't want to get up at 3:30 to get to work before traffic gets heavy.
View Quote
I too work at the Pentagram, I get up at 0315 on my normal duty to get in before 0500
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I made thousands of trips over 20+ years from Falls Church, VA to Ft.Meade during the day.

It was always a horrible crap shoot.

The slightest thing (rain even) can turn the MD NW portion of the beltway into a many hours long parking lot.

It makes me appreciate retirement.  Even if it is from disability.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#24]
They gave me the full treatment going through the gate yesterday at lunchtime.  Showed my badge and got the "Sir shut your engine off and place the keys on the dash"  by the same guy that asked me about getting a LE job the day before.  David
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in Herndon and it takes me 1 hour and 15mins when I have to do it. I would count on 1 hour and 30 mins Each way though. Especially if you are Virginia bound after 3pm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top