Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 1:59:56 AM EDT
I'm going to apply for a position at VDOT and I was just curious what kind of work culture VDOT has. This position is in the Hampton Roads district with the Jamestown Ferry.

What sort of benefits do state employees get? Do you still get a pension plan or is it more like a 401k deal?

If I do get the job will I be on the govt worker gravy train?

Does a job announcement with only a 5 day window mean they are just posting it to cover their asses and have someone else already in mind?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Use to work near the VDOT HDQTRs in RVA.  That was a heavily engineer represented office...think extremely forgenier friendly.  That culture will be your policy folks.  There are some good operations folks throughout the state.  Even a lot of admn guys roll their sleeves up and get to work, some office types even fill in with their CDLs.  It's state gov though, so unless you have a good COC, they will retain a lot of shitbirds too.  Benefits are good. Look for a position that's you, even if not at the local office.  A lot of positions have subsidized transportation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Typically state job announcements are 14-30days.  Five day may mean anticipating a lot of applicants or they have someone unofficially.  Apply regardless.  Once you are in the system subsequent applications are quick.

ETA.....they could easily have made it agency only apply if they had someone in-house.  Givem your best!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Im going to do that and hope I knock it out of the park. I'm getting letters of recommendation from some of my former supervisors and have lots of respected people from my field to give as references. And one of my friends is going to help me get my resume up to a high standard and help with a good cover letter.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
State employees get VRS, which right now is a hybrid plan.
Once your age and years of service total 90 you will annually get 50% of the average of your 3 highest income years, which includes overtime.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
State employees get VRS, which right now is a hybrid plan.
Once your age and years of service total 90 you will annually get 50% of the average of your 3 highest income years, which includes overtime.
View Quote
Damn, that's better than FERS...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure the hybrid plan averages out over 5 years. My Dept. has both plan 1 and plan 2. We are exempt from the hybrid plan thank god unless you opt in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'll update some. I sent my package in and the announcement date has closed. Now I just get to wait. Any guesses how long it will take for them to get to me? I kind of doubt they had more than a few people apply for the job. Even if they have an in-house guy in mind I think I'll at least get an interview, if so hopefully I can make a good impression if an operator position pops up I'll at least be known to the interviewers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the hybrid plan averages out over 5 years. My Dept. has both plan 1 and plan 2. We are exempt from the hybrid plan thank god unless you opt in.
View Quote
The LEO plan is a little different. Due to when I was hired my only option was the hybrid. I am pretty sure it is average of three highest years.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It was my understanding that all public safety were exempt from the hybrid plan.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It was my understanding that all public safety were exempt from the hybrid plan.
View Quote
I am not public safety.....well unless poop plant electrician counts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top