Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 1:41:33 PM EDT
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to find a guard dog? I'm looking for Harrisonburg and surrounding areas. Do I need to get a dog and then have it trained or can I get one that is already trained?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
any suggestions
View Quote
Just one.  Don't!

Getting a dog ... any dog ... is a 10-15 year commitment.  Owning a dog with the wherewithal to truly protect "you and your'un" is sort of like a double-edged sword -- except in the case of a "guard dog" (your words, not mine), that sword has a mind of its own.

My suggestion?  Except continuing to do what you've been chronicling in your other thread, describe in great detail for your representatives (and perhaps others) the inability of law enforcement to counter the transgressions against your property, and pray that it remains a property crime.  Describe the impact to your peace of mind, and the resultant impact on your ability to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

And then ...

... lobby loudly and vocally for Texas-style jurisprudence.  Whenever I hear some libtard or bleeding-heart (apologies for the redundancy) spout off about "just a property crime" I want to wring someone's neck.  The violence enabled by such ass-hats, whose clarion call otherwise is "it was just a child" or "he dinna do nuffin" is undeniable.  The scrotes know that nothing meaningful will happen to them if they're caught ... and that's the majority of the problem.  In Texas:

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; ?and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
      (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:
      (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; ?or(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
View Quote
It's not a matter of 'defending property!'  Rather, it's a matter of defending 'peace of mind.' Just ask anyone whose been a victim of a B&E (or worse).  The emotional luggage from the incident has nothing to do with replacing the lost property.

{Edited ... to try to remove the <Brownell's link to "Sword"> automagically inserted by the ARF.com editor in the version I'm viewing using Internet Explorer.  This sort of chicken-shit activity caused me not to renew my membership ... no thanks!}
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
We do want some peace of mind. Its hard getting that right now. We know the alarm system will alert us after the fact. We wonder if they will run next time the door is kicked in. So far they have been unable to get it kicked in. Thankfully. The last time that it was kicked in they stepped inside the house. I caught a glimpse of their shoulder as they ran when the alarm went off. I don't know why they think there is no alarm system when there are signs in the yard and on the house.

It is a crazy feeling at night. You wait for that "Boom" sound of feet hitting the door. We sit here and wait for something to happen. I am not a person to worry but this last time they brought an extra kid with them. A bigger kid. I'm wondering if they will be one or two more with them next time. It seems to be Thursday night when it happens.

The police patrol the area but it has been during the day. I have only seen them once at night.

I thought a guard dog would be an answer. Maybe it would be a problem. A bigger problem.

I will continue to update things in the other thread.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
any way to set up perimeter alarms of some type? Tripwire, IR beam, anything to alert you to someone coming on the property well before they get to the house itself?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any way to set up perimeter alarms of some type? Tripwire, IR beam, anything to alert you to someone coming on the property well before they get to the house itself?
View Quote
I have looked at that with inferred zone alarms. I don't have any place to really put one that would work really good. Maybe my mailbox but it's a gamble if they would walk in that direction or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top