Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2017 7:19:31 PM EDT
Might be in this area for work.

What's this area like? Won't be moving there, but working M-F. Presently live in east TN and enjoy hunting and fishing, mostly fly fishing.

Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a heavily populated area. Clover is not far from the Charlotte county line on 360. I hardly ever have cell service through there (Verizon). I can't remember where it starts picking back up.

Clover is probably 20 minutes from South Boston. SOBO isn't a big town, really. Danville is the closest "bigger" city; it's maybe an hour from that end of Halifax county. Greensboro is maybe two hours away, as is Roanoke. Lynchburg is closer, maybe an hour.

If you've already got work lined up, you're ahead of the game. That's the big thing. Halifax (South Boston), Pittsylvania (near Danville), and Henry (near Martinsville) counties are some of the most economically depressed in the state. Halifax not as bad as the other two.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

What would be the better area you think to live in, during the week. Looking at renting a small house or apt. as I will be at the Dominion Energy plant at Clover. Would be there 1-2 years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Stay far away from Danville.  It's like mini-Chicago.

Anything you can find in the county will be better than living in the city or town.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay far away from Danville.  It's like mini-Chicago.

Anything you can find in the county will be better than living in the city or town.
View Quote
He's right, and he would know.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!

The job has come through so I will be up there.

Looking for a small house/apt furnished and I am satisfied.

As long as I have a porch or patio and can relax and have a drink I'm okay.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Been to that plant a few times working on their equipment. One of the few places you can find a D11 with a carry blade this far east in the state
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been to that plant a few times working on their equipment. One of the few places you can find a D11 with a carry blade this far east in the state
View Quote
Yep, I saw it!

Overall, I like what I saw. Went up there last week and that area is not a bad place at all, just very rural and there's nothing wrong with that.

Did stay in Danville one night. Didn't like it. Pretty much stayed in South Boston and went to the plant several times.

What I would really like is a small place between SB and Clover in the woods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top