Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2017 2:09:53 AM EDT
Where does one shop for a home on 5-10 acres? Zillow is just about worthless for that I've found.

I'm in James City county looking to stay there-ish.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
landsofamerica.com

Edited because I wanted to hotlink it....
http://www.landsofamerica.com/Virginia/all-land/type-3/
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
www.realtor.com

maybe contact a local realtor.

sometimes on craigslist......though it is sketchy
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
www.realtor.com

View Quote
I've got a local realtor but I'm starting to worry he's trying to pigeon hole me into a home in a subdivision.  I outlined two sets of parameters and he's focusing more on the "city" homes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell him to gtfo then and find someone else.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
landandfarm.com

mossyoakproperties.com

www.trulia.com
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
www.realtor.com

View Quote
First be certain that  your realtor is:
an experienced realtor who makes his/her living at helping people buy and sell homes;

very knowledgeable about the real estate market in the area where you plan to buy your home/acreage;

an Accredited Buyer's Representative

A realtor who is all three will be able to search out prospective properties for you, and will also likely be able to direct you to resources where you can conduct an effective search for yourself.

And Zillow is an effective tool to get started finding prospects that meet your requirements, but you will need to use the "More" dropdown in the search bar to filter the search results for the specific criteria you're seeking.

And be forewarned that decent (i. e. move-in condition, not requiring rehab/renovation) homes with land of the type you're describing do not stay on the market long anywhere in Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

First be certain that  your realtor is:
an experienced realtor who makes his/her living at helping people buy and sell homes;

very knowledgeable about the real estate market in the area where you plan to buy your home/acreage;

an Accredited Buyer's Representative

A realtor who is all three will be able to search out prospective properties for you, and will also likely be able to direct you to resources where you can conduct an effective search for yourself.

And Zillow is an effective tool to get started finding prospects that meet your requirements, but you will need to use the "More" dropdown in the search bar to filter the search results for the specific criteria you're seeking.

And be forewarned that decent (i. e. move-in condition, not requiring rehab/renovation) homes with land of the type you're describing do not stay on the market long anywhere in Virginia.
View Quote
Average stay on the market for anything worth having is 30 days or less. The first three properties I wanted to look at all had contracts on them as soon as we called.

This is a far cry from 2009.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a drive down Croaker road and Fenton Mill rd. I've seen a few signs on each of for sale by owner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top