User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2017 3:19:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
figured as much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I was on the area last weekend and stopped in out of curiosity.  I laughed at how nothing worth buying was marked down to a point it made sense.  I immediately ordered what non-gun stuff I was looking for on Amazon, and then went and bought my ammo and mags from Quantico Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hit the F'burg Gander yesterday. Amazon is still cheaper. 
View Quote
Yup.  I was by a Gander last week and was kinda shocked how overpriced everything was, even with the "discounts" they were offering.  

They should have just named the chain Full MSRP Mountain, at least that would have prevented me from ever wasting gas and time to stop by to look.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a X-fer at Quantico Tactical ready for pick-up so went next door to Gander Mountain to take a look at the "Sale". What a fucking joke. Ammunition priced almost double what I can buy it for almost anyplace else. S&W Shield on "clearance" for the low, low price of more than $500 out the door. The funniest thing I saw was a huge sign on the wall that read; "Low, Low Prices Guaranteed!"  

and I will bet corporate management still does not understand why these stores failed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I was in the on in Charlottesville last Wednesday.  NO discount whatsoever on firearms.  The pistol I was looking at was priced 50% higher than what I saw it for at Bud's.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I went by the one in Fredericksburg, and there were no good firearms related deals.  There were some decent discounts on some of their clothing, but that largely seemed to be it.  I don't know how true it is, but someone at the store said that there were not going to be any discounts on firearms or ammunition and anything that was left was just going to be returned to the manufacturer.  This is contrary to what I have seen from Gander Mountain regarding their close out specials, but it does make sense when looking at their current prices.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Bass Pro/ Cabelas will be the next to go, way overpriced on there stuff too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am going to miss the Woodbridge Gander Mountain.    It brought a lot of people into our store. 

For those who are interested, here is the top 20 list of Gander Mountain's Unsecured Creditors:

Vista Outdoor, owed $15.2 million (Blackhawk, Federal Ammo, etc)
Pure Fishing, $4.5 million;
Ellett Brothers, $3.0 million (Wholesale distributor. Mainly firearms)
Sigarms, $2.86 million;
Remington Arms, $2.63 million;

Starcom Worldwide, $2.24 million;
Vortex Optics, $2.24 million;
Liberty Safe & Security, $2.0 million,
Bills Hicks & Co., $1.69 million;
5.11 Inc,; $1.5 million;
Sports South, $1.41 million; (Wholesale distributor. Firearms & Ammunition)
Benelli USA Corp, $1.22 million;
Smith & Wesson, $1.2 million;

Under Armour, $1.07 million;
Magpul Industries Corp, $1.03 million;
Normark, $979,866;
Hydro Flask, $871,132;
Carhartt, $855,696;
Red Wing, $819,708.

My comments are in parenthesis.  Note the above are unsecured.  In short, they are screwed.
View Quote
Can you buy their space and make it a giant Quantico Tactical?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Being Gander didn't help. but that building is cursed. Every store that's been in there has failed within a year or two.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Being Gander didn't help. but that building is cursed. Every store that's been in there has failed within a year or two.
View Quote
On second thought, Quantico does NOT need to buy that space.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like Green Top did in Richmond...
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please don't do this. Green Top's prices skyrocketed when they got into the new building. They have to pay for all that space somehow...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please don't do this. Green Top's prices skyrocketed when they got into the new building. They have to pay for all that space somehow...
View Quote

And the service plummeted too...

Once upon a time, a few vendors kind of dominated the outdoor sports market, and most of it was mail order. Now we have a bunch of local options that are perfectly viable. It makes Gander look a bit silly.

I wonder how much of that outstanding debt will be satisfied in the end...

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I miss the old Green Top.  There was always something on the used rack I couldn't live without, LOL.
View Quote
I wonder what happened to the cash register they used to have on the gun counter at the old Green Top.  That thing must have had millions of dollars through it and I certainly did my part standing in front of it.  

Dicks is the one I want to see disappear once we get rid of Gander Mountain.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wonder what happened to the cash register they used to have on the gun counter at the old Green Top.  That thing must have had millions of dollars through it and I certainly did my part standing in front of it.  

Dicks is the one I want to see disappear once we get rid of Gander Mountain.
View Quote

I don't want ANY of the gun-gear vendors to go away, I just want them to stop being stupid on either pricing or policies - it wouldn't be that hard.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I miss the old Green Top.  There was always something on the used rack I couldn't live without, LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This too!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Went into Gander ripoff yesterday to check it out. Plus I had a $20 coupon from having their credit card. I wanted to use it sooner than later since I didn't know when they would be closing and/or if they would stop accepting their own coupons. Relatively busy (certainly compared to their usual amount of clientele), but almost everyone was walking around empty handed. Almost nothing was marked down. Clothing was up to 40% off, but anything worth having like 5.11 was only 10% off (I think Quantico Tactical gives you more than that for just having their loyalty card). Guns were a joke; you can get a G4 Glock 19 for the low-low price of $629 (and yes, that's the closeout price).

I asked the cashier when I was leaving when the final day was. Her response was, "we don't have one set yet, but we believe it will be in late August or early September." So, I guess they're closing in 3, almost 4 months. She did say that discounts will go up as they get closer. We'll see about that....
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't want ANY of the gun-gear vendors to go away, I just want them to stop being...
View Quote
Dicks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Not too much. In the last few weeks I've picked up a couple of lbs of powder i wanted to try out ($22) and a few hundred large magnum pistol primers ($3.50).

The only deal I found was a Coleman Party Ball (small portable charcoal grill) for $18 or so after the discount.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Wife unit wanted to go by the one in Woodbridge. Wish we hadn't wasted the time. Guns were "marked down" 5%. From MSRP. Most stuff in the store was 10% off and only a few of the low-cost items 40% off. And, again, that was off full MSRP on everything not what they were selling it for before the markdowns. Ridiculous. And, their idiotic attitude is what caused them to fail. Consumers have too many other choices to suffer fools like Gander.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Ammo is now marked down 5%; when I went in they had blazer for 2.99.

They also had 20% offprumers and powder. They have about 10 or so lbs of WST (because they're selling it for 39$ a lb

I ended up buying the last 800 magnum pistol primers (federal s for $3 or so per hundred) and a lb of blue dot.

Hopefully the prices go down more as I'd like to pick up an RCBS charge master
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Once upon a time, a few vendors kind of dominated the outdoor sports market, and most of it was mail order. Now we have a bunch of local options that are perfectly viable. It makes Gander look a bit silly.

-shooter
View Quote
Greentops service sucked half the time in their old location too. Half the time I'd go in to buy a gun the sales guys were too busy talking to each other to be bothered by customers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Greentops service sucked half the time in their old location too. Half the time I'd go in to buy a gun the sales guys were too busy talking to each other to be bothered by customers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter
And here I thought it was just me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And here I thought it was just me.
View Quote
They have some good people but yea greentop isn't the first place I go when looking for something in town. I haven't been happy with their service.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Update - reloading supplies are 30% off now. I went in yesterday and bought 800 primers (federal 155, lg magnum pistol) for 2.79 per hundred and a lb of power pistol for $18.xx. As as powders go they had plenty of PP, the Dots (red, blue, green), Win 748 and WST and some Reloader powder (22 and 15 i think). No bullets, brass is still stupid high, but if you were looking for reloading related items it's probably comparable to buying online.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hit the F'burg Gander yesterday. Amazon is still cheaper. 
View Quote
Was at the Roanoke Gander the night before last, looking at trail/game cameras.

Amazon was still 20% cheaper, and free shipping.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Reloading stuff in Charlottesville is 40% off. The had some presses and a bunch of the RCBS fancy, computerized powder measures.

They say new gun delivery soon, so hope to find a SIG MCX for 20% off.

40% off Magpul stuff.

Rmpl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top