Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2017 12:41:16 PM EDT
I will be moving back to Stafford soon and was.wondering what everyone who commutes up to that AO uses.  VRE/Metro or Vanpool?  Work will be off the orange line closest to Balston stop.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
VRE/Metro.  I'd stick needles in my eye before doing that commute on 95/395.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Completely understand about 95/395 but the vanpools use the HOV.  Do you ride the VRE/Metro?  Is it usually on time and how long does it take you to get from Station to work and back?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You have my sympathy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I go from centreville to crystal city and love the VRE,  but metro really sucks lately.  If I had to combine the two I would consider other options.

A motorcycle in the express lanes moves pretty good.  When I ride the bike into work I go south on the fairfax county parkway and then jump on the express/HOV lanes north.  They are moving 70-80 mph most mornings.  Much better than taking 66.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Completely understand about 95/395 but the vanpools use the HOV.  Do you ride the VRE/Metro?  Is it usually on time and how long does it take you to get from Station to work and back?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do neither - live in Reston and work from home (when I work).  However, I did 20 some years in Crystal City, and worked with several who did that commute.  Van pools did not seem to really help them much, and your flexibility on time is zero.  HOV gets jammed up too.  They were much happier doing the VRE thing once that started up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess it depends on who you're working for.  The .gov reimburses you $255 of your commute if you use mass transit.  I used to work in Arlington and the Balston stop was the closest to my building.  The DOD had a shuttle system throughout the area though that would pick me up at the Crystal City VRE station and drop me off right at my building.  Now I'm in DC still taking the VRE up but now I'm off of a Metro stop.  I would never drive though...ever.  Take the VRE and sleep.  I take the express train in the morning since it skips about half the stops therefore it's less time on the train.  On time percentage is pretty darn high and when they aren't it's usually because of Amtrak screwing everything up

IM for more info if you like
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
VRE from Leeland Rd. Any time I've had to drive I'm quickly reminded why it sucks so bad.

VRE is pretty good on time, and you can eat, sleep, read, work most of the way (except the dreaded cell service dead zone at Quantico). Occasionally there will be a month of fuckups (there was a month where 312 refused to work right and VRE wasn't very good at figuring out why), but on the whole it's way better than driving.

I also use metro once I get into DC. Now that's an unreliable expensive clusterfuck. I've had my commute fucked by metro way more than VRE. I'm probably going to switch to using the bikeshare because my office isn't really that far away, it's cheaper than Metro, and fuck Metro.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
VRE from Leeland Rd. Any time I've had to drive I'm quickly reminded why it sucks so bad.

VRE is pretty good on time, and you can eat, sleep, read, work most of the way (except the dreaded cell service dead zone at Quantico). Occasionally there will be a month of fuckups (there was a month where 312 refused to work right and VRE wasn't very good at figuring out why), but on the whole it's way better than driving.

I also use metro once I get into DC. Now that's an unreliable expensive clusterfuck. I've had my commute fucked by metro way more than VRE. I'm probably going to switch to using the bikeshare because my office isn't really that far away, it's cheaper than Metro, and fuck Metro.
View Quote
Fuck metro in particular. I'll snowshoe to work before I get on the metro. If capital bike rental works for your multi-modal commute that is a solid option. I bike to work from Alexandria to DC and the bikearlingtonforum.com forum has good intel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I just came to read this thread to feel good about living in Southwest Virginia and have a very short drive to work. 12-15 minutes with no traffic and 15-20 minutes with traffic
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just came to read this thread to feel good about living in Southwest Virginia and have a very short drive to work. 12-15 minutes with no traffic and 15-20 minutes with traffic
View Quote
Sounds like my commute in NoVA
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have to live in Stafford?  Taking Metro you could live in Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Vienna, Reston.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, I just walk across the street to the Ballston metro station and ride the train to work. All while shit-posting in GD. No traffic, no stress.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yup, I just walk across the street to the Ballston metro station and ride the train to work. All while shit-posting in GD. No traffic, no stress.
View Quote
I drive 15minutes to my secure facility near Manassas, same distance to Elite, and I like to come home and shoot (legally) in my backyard
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I drive 15minutes to my secure facility near Manassas, same distance to Elite, and I like to come home and shoot (legally) in my backyard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice :D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top