Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 4:47:21 AM EDT
Long time lurker coming out of the closet here - I am not sure how many DTOM plates on the road in NOVA represent actual gun owners but something that's been obvious to me ever since the plates first appeared - I would estimate that over half the DTOM registered vehicles I see on the roads in NOVA are operated by individuals that need their license pulled. The majority are flat-out reckless in their driving style, driving 10+ over the posted limit (even if you believe you are the second coming of Dale Earnhardt the law is the law) weaving in and out of traffic with no signals blowing thru red lights and stop signs tailgating other aggressive behavior etc. If a trooper sitting in your passenger seat would cause you to change your driving style then this post is meant for you. No doubt that a certain percentage of the plates are gun owners and for that reason I cringe since a) It gives gun owners a bad image and b) Driving style can be representative of a person's demeanor and who wants a reckless senseless careless irrational morally defunct individual carrying a firearm.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
10+ over?

Lol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Um, okay.

I'll leave it at that since this isn't GD.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I bet you are fun at a party.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol.  OP's 1st post since joining 81/2 years ago.  At 4AM, too.  Suggestion:  put the computer away when the bottle comes out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Your research is flawed. Everyone drives like that, regardless of the type of plate they have.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Hella first post.  Welcome to the party.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10+ over?

Lol.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking  10+?  I do more than that just getting on the on ramp...just like everyone else in NOVA.  OP:  Are you the left lane driver doing 55?  If so, that's me that smokes you daily at 90+ in my 350Z (for just a few seconds, of course) just to get around your lane-hoggin' butt  

But in all seriousness, get some audio books or something to take you mind off the 10+ drivers, it'll make you less stressed; that's what I do.  Keeps me from going all "Falling Down" when I'm stuck in traffic as far as you can see.  At least the times when you're on the road dealing with the 10+ drivers you're still moving.

Oh, and welcome to the forum after 8 years lurking.

Edit:  And I have DTOM plates.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a gun owner and do not have a yellow plate. I know more than a few people who have yellow plates and are not gun owners.

OP...I find your way of thinking to be in line with that of bigots, progressives, and more than a few idiots.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#10]
What should constitute getting your licensed pulled?  NOVA traffic is what it is, roll down the window, hang an arm out and dial in John Tesh radio if you must.  
Your first post suggests that more than half of this world may not be your type of people......check yourself and tread lightly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Half those yellow plates you're seeing are probably frickin' New Yorkers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I would bet there are more gun owners out there with white plates than yellow ones.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm still confused by the usage of the word "Fanboys" in this context.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't ever drive out West, you'll have a stroke.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
You need help... First post fail.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Go back to DU.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm still confused by the usage of the word "Fanboys" in this context.
View Quote
Generally means, someone who likes something I don't like.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Setting all of the original butthurt aside, I reject both of your premises.

I see DTOM plates daily in my part of Nova and have never correlated them with bad or aggressive driving.  In fact, I have never correlated aggressive driving with any type of VA license plate.  The strongest correlation seems to be with car brand (usually a BMW) or time of day (usually during commuting hours).

I also don't think the average driver on our roads sees a DTOM plate and equates it with firearm ownership.  I think they equate it with conservative tea party values, at least based on conversations I have had with both conservatives and liberals.

And your claim that over 50% of people with DTOM plates are reckless drivers who routinely blow through red lights and stop signs is beyond ridiculous.  You couldn't sell that gross exaggeration to a Tea Party hating liberal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I see DTOM plates daily in my part of Nova and have never correlated them with bad or aggressive driving.  In fact, I have never correlated aggressive driving with any type of VA license plate.  
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally, it drives me nuts when I am driving on the PA Turnpike and everyone is driving like a bunch of old ladies.  But I don't go to the PA Hometown Forum and bitch about it. 
View Quote
He's probably moved over to the NJ Hometown forum to complain about their driving 12+ with rapid lane changes, but not having the decency to have stylized plates to focus on.

I've driven all over the world, and coast to coast, and I gotta say.  Pennsylvania, you do it wrong.  Virginia, for all the complaints about traffic and driving habits, is about on par with anywhere else in the world I've driven, from high-class Nordic to 3rd world shithole.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Can we talk about the flood of Quebec license plates from people going to the Canadian Hole in OBX that drive like surrendering frenchmen?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or maybe he is in the Canada HTF bitching about drivers from Canada driving the entire length of I-95 in the fast lane @ 55mph with their blinker on. 
View Quote

I work with Canadians on a regular basis, when they're in crew vans stateside they're always asking "what's the big fookin' hurry, eh?"
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Another Yankee criticizing things in Virginia? 

I guess stereotypes exist for a reason. 

ETA:  Personally, it drives me nuts when I am driving on the PA Turnpike and everyone is driving like a bunch of old ladies.  But I don't go to the PA Hometown Forum and bitch about it
View Quote
BOOM!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought this was going to be a "Virginia Guys Post Your Awesome Vehicles" thread. I am sorely disappointed.

Quoted:

I see DTOM plates daily in my part of Nova and have never correlated them with bad or aggressive driving.  In fact, I have never correlated aggressive driving with any type of VA license plate.  The strongest correlation seems to be with car brand (usually a BMW) or time of day (usually during commuting hours).
View Quote
I'm with this guy^. I live in the heart of Arlington, and I see DTOM plates everyday (they are on both of our vehicles too). I have never noticed that people with those plates are bad drivers; in fact, I've noticed the opposite. I generally feel safer driving next to a truck rocking "snake plates".

I think OP just doesn't have the cojones to hang with the NOVA crowd. You'l get there, buddy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Translation: he thinks one guy cut him off, so all of us are painted as aholes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#28]
So a guy from PA, who has been lurking for 8.5 yrs, breaks his cherry on ARFcom with a post about NOVAites with DTOM plates in the VAHTF?  

Doesn't pass the sniff test.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorry OP, but you need to be educated first before speak about the DTOM flag/license plate because it's not about the gun ownership. Also, usually 10-15 mph over the speed limit is totally fine in many eastern states.
I really hate drivers who's doing the speed limit and blocking the passing lane. It doesn't matter if you are going at the speed limit or not. It's the passing lane and if you see someone behind you approaching, you need to MOVE OVER!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Another Yankee criticizing things in Virginia? 

I guess stereotypes exist for a reason. 

ETA:  Personally, it drives me nuts when I am driving on the PA Turnpike and everyone is driving like a bunch of old ladies.  But I don't go to the PA Hometown Forum and bitch about it. 
View Quote

Now this right here is funny!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Setting all of the original butthurt aside, I reject both of your premises.

I also don't think the average driver on our roads sees a DTOM plate and equates it with firearm ownership.  I think they equate it with conservative tea party values, at least based on conversations I have had with both conservatives and liberals.

And your claim that over 50% of people with DTOM plates are reckless drivers who routinely blow through red lights and stop signs is beyond ridiculous.  You couldn't sell that gross exaggeration to a Tea Party hating liberal.  
View Quote
Shit, I drive a BMW with DTOM plates during commuting hours in NOVA.  Did this become a call out thread?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#32]
For all the haters!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top