Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 9:55:18 PM EDT
I got 4 of these smarttrip charmcards for the 4 of us for upcoming trip.  Id like to load some passes to be able to ride the rail around central DC, optionally would really like to be able to ride bus around DC as well.    would need a 7 day pass.

but their website, have no idea what "transit system" i need or what short/long/full/omgwtfbbq to get.  some stuff I see says baltimore only, nothing else says anything specific.  so i dont watnt o buy 4 of these 50 dollar deals to find out I got the wrong thing.

ETA:
wtf???  what a load of shit.  i bought 4 smarttrip cards, then when I got them in the mail 2 days before my trip I went online and for each card added th 7 day short trip metrorail pass as well as the 7 day bus pass.  the info on the DC Circulator says the smart trip 7 day bus pass is valid fare.

so we got the the airport and the passes work great, take metrorail to GWU and we're at the AirBNB.  so next day (yesterday) was all the monuments touring, and the DC circulator buses kept taking $ off our cards.  WTF?  I called in to complain they say the7 day short pass doesnt work on the circulator.  I say, no I also put the 7 day buss pass on there, and its supposed to be valid fare.  then they say, well the bus's 7day pass will not kick in until 2-3 days *after* I first even attempt to use it on a bus by swiping it on a bus somewhere.v WTF?

WTF??  so until then, I just have to pay out $ for rides?  WTF??  we havent even swiped them on a regular metrobus at all, only on the metrorails and the dc circulator busses.  WTF????
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What you want is Metro. https://www.wmata.com/

VRA and MARC are the commuter trains to VA and MD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
ok thanks.  ok so WMTA then thanks.  can you tell me the difference between the 2:

7-Day Metrorail Short Trip Pass (Full Fare)  Eligible for purchase using SmartBenefits® Transit Pass $36.00
Pass is activated the first time it is used. It is valid for seven (7) consecutive days of unlimited rides on WMATA Metrorail for trips costing up to $3.60 when peak fares are in effect. During these times, if your trip costs more than $3.60, the additional charge will be deducted from the smartcard's Stored Value. There is no additional charge for rail trips at other times. A positive Stored Value is required to enter the Metrorail system.
View Quote
7-Day Metrorail Fast Pass (Full Fare)  Eligible for purchase using SmartBenefits® Transit Pass $59.25
Pass is activated the first time it is used. It is valid for seven (7) consecutive days of unlimited rides on WMATA Metrorail.
View Quote
just not sure which one I need, there doesnt seem to find any good overall view of which station pairs cost which prices
thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Fares
To see the fares between stations, go to theMetrorail stations page and click on the station where you're starting your trip.

Of the two plans you posted, it looks like the Fast pass is a flat rate.
The short trip you pay extra (meaning you have to have additional value stored on the card if the trips you take exceed the amount referenced. ) If you don't plan to travel during rush hour, this is likely the better deal (or if you're only traveling a few stations during rush hour)
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The DC metro fare system is not as user friendly as some other large cities I have visited. I am sure it is not the worst but they could do a much better job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
London Underground Oyster Card FTW!!

WMATA is the single worst transport system in the developed world, it's a disgrace.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
ok it looks like fares even during rush hour, between RR airport and way out to the Capitol would fall below that $3.60 fare, so it looks like that short pass is ok for us as I cannot see us doing anything longer than that.

we got the 7 day WTMA bus system pass as well.  how often do the buses fall behind schedule?  would be nice to know if we can rely on them for our tours we have appointments for

thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok it looks like fares even during rush hour, between RR airport and way out to the Capitol would fall below that $3.60 fare, so it looks like that short pass is ok for us as I cannot see us doing anything longer than that.

we got the 7 day WTMA bus system pass as well.  how often do the buses fall behind schedule?  would be nice to know if we can rely on them for our tours we have appointments for

thanks all.
View Quote
I would not rely on the buses.  They get stuck in traffic just like everyone else
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
wtf???  what a load of shit.  i bought 4 smarttrip cards, then when I got them in the mail 2 days before my trip I went online and for each card added th 7 day short trip metrorail pass as well as the 7 day bus pass.  the info on the DC Circulator says the smart trip 7 day bus pass is valid fare.

so we got the the airport and the passes work great, take metrorail to GWU and we're at the AirBNB.  so next day (yesterday) was all the monuments touring, and the DC circulator buses kept taking $ off our cards.  WTF?  I called in to complain they say the7 day short pass doesnt work on the circulator.  I say, no I also put the 7 day buss pass on there, and its supposed to be valid fare.  then they say, well the bus's 7day pass will not kick in until 2-3 days *after* I first even attempt to use it on a bus by swiping it on a bus somewhere.v WTF?

WTF??  so until then, I just have to pay out $ for rides?  WTF??  we havent even swiped them on a regular metrobus at all, only on the metrorails and the dc circulator busses.  WTF????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top