Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 11:15:38 PM EDT
Retiring from active duty and taking a job at a place just west of DC on the VA/MD line (MD side, unfortunately, but it is what it is).  Don't want to live in MD, do need to be somewhat close to mass transit as wife doesn't drive.    Lived in Tidewater for many years but never even really went to northern va at all.  

What are the good places to live up in northern VA?  What considerations do I need to take into account?  I've heard 495 is horrible to commute, but I have things I'll need to do in Richmond as well...  

Probably looking at renting at first and then maybe in a year or so building a house.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on retirement and starting next phase.  Which part of MD, Bethesda/Rockville, Frederick, PG county, Delgren?  ?

Close in areas are mostly suburban/urban areas, kids in school, house, townhouse apartment, target price range?

Yes expect 1+ hour to 1.5 hour commute, depending on time of day, afternoons and Fridays can be bad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on retirement and starting next phase.  Which part of MD, Bethesda/Rockville, Frederick, PG county, Delgren?  ?

Close in areas are mostly suburban/urban areas, kids in school, house, townhouse apartment, target price range?

Yes expect 1+ hour to 1.5 hour commute, depending on time of day, afternoons and Fridays can be bad.
View Quote
Thanks!

in order:

Bethesda area.

No kids in school at the moment, though I do have a son who will go into high school in a couple of years but is living with my ex a couple of hours away  Prefer house, but townhouse would be okay -- maybe.  I want a shop or garage or something at least.  1700-2k rent maybe?  Could probably go a little higher if necessary without any trouble.  Hopefully can get a mortgage for around that eventually as well.  I've been looking on zillow, but it's hard to get an idea of what an area is really like from that.  I found a 3 acre plot a mile from the Brooke something VRA station for 115k, that seems like a half-way decent deal to build on, but I've never used any of those trains so I really don't know how they work out.  I have no issue driving, taking the train or whatever, but I don't want my wife feeling like she's a shut-in because she doesn't drive right now.  She does have friends in the DC area.

Not too worried about commute, it's been nice not having one the last few years but I'm used to an hour + commute in other places.  Even in VB it was often 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I just looked at the Brooke VRE station VRE Schedule Fredricksburg North and the train to Union Station is 1 hour 14 minutes.  Then you would have to take a Red line train to Bethesda area and hopefully you can walk to your office.  I'm guessing you are looking at a 2 hour commute if all goes well and it usually does not with metro.  Driving up the 95 corridor, lol.  Probably another 2 hours. 

You might be better off west of Dulles.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just looked at the Brooke VRE station VRE Schedule Fredricksburg North and the train to Union Station is 1 hour 14 minutes.  Then you would have to take a Red line train to Bethesda area and hopefully you can walk to your office.  I'm guessing you are looking at a 2 hour commute if all goes well and it usually does not with metro.  Driving up the 95 corridor, lol.  Probably another 2 hours. 

You might be better off west of Dulles.  Good Luck.
View Quote
Yeah, there's not a good train line to where I'll be working from what I saw.  I'm not too terribly worried about taking the train to work for me, more for my wife to be able to at least get up to DC if she wants to while I'm at work.  

I did look at the area around Dulles a little, I'll look at that some more.  I wouldn't mind being over in that area from what I saw.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Come on over to Herndon/Oak Hill.  The neighborhood I'm in is Fox Mill estates.  All 2 story 3,4,5 bedroom and 2 car garages.  Been there 20 years.  Nice a quiet.  Not to far out from DC.  Metro is coming down the Toll Road.  The Reston stop is about 10 minutes drive from me.  Ashburn would be my next choice.  Everything is about 20 years newer than my neighborhood.  Get out of Bethesda ASAP.  Good luck.  David
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Come on over to Herndon/Oak Hill.  The neighborhood I'm in is Fox Mill estates.  All 2 story 3,4,5 bedroom and 2 car garages.  Been there 20 years.  Nice a quiet.  Not to far out from DC.  Metro is coming down the Toll Road.  The Reston stop is about 10 minutes drive from me.  Ashburn would be my next choice.  Everything is about 20 years newer than my neighborhood.  Get out of Bethesda ASAP.  Good luck.  David
View Quote
How much would you say an average 3 BR house would cost and how are the schools and MS-13 presence?  (I saw that stated lately for Leesburg, Sterling, and Herndon).  My guess is 500k minimum for something with 3BR and a garage...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations on the retirement, look at Loudoun County and save the commute. You can take the ferry across the Potomac and bypass the traffic.

ETA: nice rural commute to Bethesda, watch the speed limit though.

https://m.facebook.com/WhitesFerry
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Fox Mill/Dulles area is good, get close to the metro or a  commuter bus line.  There are older parts of Vienna, McLean, Falls  Church, etc that are on a case by case basis.  If you can spend the time, get a hotel in the area and run the commute, see the area, etc. Before you make a final decision.

Don't recommended 95 corridor and try and commute to Bethesda, its  crazy from nearby, 95 and the train add a whole new dimension.

Whites ferry is scenic,  but driving to Bethesda would be a haul, same deal, try it and see.  Note:  Whites Ferry closes down when it snows, heavy rains, wind, etc.  Its an old school cable driven ferry, think Jose Wales type ferry, the river gets ice, trees, etc during weather.

MS13 is generally in certain neighborhoods and preys on a specific groups.  Generally not in the regular neighborhoods, especially if you aren't armed late at night or making illegal purchases, etc.

Schools in general in Fairfax and Loundoun county are tops in the nation.  There are some outstanding and some not outstanding, but compared to most schools they are good.  There are also very expensive private schools, more then most colleges,  but also top in the nation.  Nysmith and Flint Hill come to mind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything where I am is $450,000 to 650,000. No MS13 near me as everything around me is single family. You get over into the apartments and condo areas a few miles away and your looking at MS13 or Hezbollah on the Herndon/Sterling side. David
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm one neighborhood over the Pinecrest Rd bridge from you.  My kids went to Fox Mill Elementary though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Reston/Herndon/the Cascades area of Sterling is what you seek for commute purposes.  Ashburn also good, but the drive is longer.

Housing prices are not cheap anywhere in NoVA though.  Still normally less than the Bethesda/Montgomery County MD area... and the high schools are much less rapey.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:38:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Congratulations on the retirement, look at Loudoun County and save the commute. You can take the ferry across the Potomac and bypass the traffic.

ETA: nice rural commute to Bethesda, watch the speed limit though.

https://m.facebook.com/WhitesFerry
View Quote
I didn't know about that ferry.  I'll have to look into it.  I am going to probably go and visit in August and try to get the lay of the land -- not having ever used the mass transit up there I want to see if it's usable and something we can actually make work for us.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like the looks of herndon -- just not sure I can swing the 600k+ houses... LOL.  

We'll see.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Something interesting that I'm seeing is that it looks like google maps doesn't really know anything about VRE.  

How bad is it to get from some place like Manassas Park to central DC?  Looking at their schedules that looks like about an hour if I'm reading it correctly, and I'm seeing a couple of apartment complexes that look nice in that area, but google maps seems like it's not really familiar with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Something interesting that I'm seeing is that it looks like google maps doesn't really know anything about VRE.  

How bad is it to get from some place like Manassas Park to central DC?  Looking at their schedules that looks like about an hour if I'm reading it correctly, and I'm seeing a couple of apartment complexes that look nice in that area, but google maps seems like it's not really familiar with it.
View Quote
I take the VRE into work everyday in DC.  Its a nice little ride.  Granted I take the Fredericksburg line not the Manassas line.  If you picked up a .gov job they will kick in $255 a month towards your mass transit commute.  While it may not cover everything it's pretty nice chunk taken out of it.  The trains are clean, quiet, and run on time 95% of the time.  I usually sleep on my way into work and browse arfcom on my way home.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I take the VRE into work everyday in DC.  Its a nice little ride.  Granted I take the Fredericksburg line not the Manassas line.  If you picked up a .gov job they will kick in $255 a month towards your mass transit commute.  While it may not cover everything it's pretty nice chunk taken out of it.  The trains are clean, quiet, and run on time 95% of the time.  I usually sleep on my way into work and browse arfcom on my way home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that's perfect.  I didn't even know they did that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm less than 5 miles from the Ferry, ride a motorcycle all but a few days, and it's a lot less practical to take the ferry than going down route 7.  In the time it would take to get to the ferry and cross, I would easily already be 1/3 of the way to work.  It would also double my daily commute cost.

From the ferry through Potomac,MD can be a real drag.

Flexible work hours are really the only way to avoid most traffic in the metro area.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep it's pretty nice.  IM me if you want more details
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you visited the area or been to Manassas Park area before? I mean, I'm no expert on it, but from driving thru once or twice, (as always) there might be reason you are seeing the low prices.  There is a lot of homework to do, especially if you have to commute into DC/MD everyday, that's no joke unless you can live in one of the $$$$ neighborhoods like Arlington, Mclean or Great Falls.  If you went on city-data.com or any other kind of relocation site, I guarantee 90% of responders would tell you to live in MD if you are commuting to Bethesda (but I understand why you wouldn't want to of course).

Take a hard look at what is important to you, mass transit options to your workplace, and if you can stand a townhouse--that might be your best bet to get close on a commute...unfortunately not a simple place to plan to live.  Here is a good thread on your want for acreage: Keep in mind, this is for a commute to Chantilly, not DC

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have you visited the area or been to Manassas Park area before? I mean, I'm no expert on it, but from driving thru once or twice, (as always) there might be reason you are seeing the low prices.  There is a lot of homework to do, especially if you have to commute into DC/MD everyday, that's no joke unless you can live in one of the $$ neighborhoods like Arlington, Mclean or Great Falls.  If you went on city-data.com or any other kind of relocation site, I guarantee 90% of responders would tell you to live in MD if you are commuting to Bethesda (but I understand why you wouldn't want to of course).

Take a hard look at what is important to you, mass transit options to your workplace, and if you can stand a townhouse--that might be your best bet to get close on a commute...unfortunately not a simple place to plan to live.  Here is a good thread on your want for acreage: Keep in mind, this is for a commute to Chantilly, not DC

Good Luck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you visited the area or been to Manassas Park area before? I mean, I'm no expert on it, but from driving thru once or twice, (as always) there might be reason you are seeing the low prices.  There is a lot of homework to do, especially if you have to commute into DC/MD everyday, that's no joke unless you can live in one of the $$ neighborhoods like Arlington, Mclean or Great Falls.  If you went on city-data.com or any other kind of relocation site, I guarantee 90% of responders would tell you to live in MD if you are commuting to Bethesda (but I understand why you wouldn't want to of course).

Good Luck!
I've never been there -- but 2k for a 3 bedroom apartment didn't seem too cheap to me..  

I will come and visit at some point this year -- I just don't know the area at all as I simply never went there when I lived in VA Beach for years.

And yes, I know that MD would be a more economical bet.  I just can't stand living in communist occupied territory anymore.  We'll see how things work out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're working on the MD side, well, the MARC trains come out of WV and you can access them as well at Point of Rocks, which is a bridge crossing from a really nice slice of Virginia, imho.

ETA: The Manassas line of the VRE is a lot shorter than the line I'm on. So it's reasonable to live further out from Manassas and drive to the station. They're also talking of extending the line to Haymarket. Of course, Haymarket is a lot more built up than it used to be and the prices are higher out that way for some damn reason.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I would think mass transit from Manassas to where he needs to go in Bethesda would be pretty miserable.  Looking at a minimum of 45 minutes to Alexandria (or 70 to Union Station) then metrorail to Bethesda Metro Station  (25 min from Union Station) and then the bus route that he would need to take will take 30 minutes to get to his destination.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#23]
You can also get the MARC train from Brunswick, MD, right across the river from Lovettsville. Lots of nice places for sale in the Lovettsville area. My next door neighbor's place in going on the market sometime this summer..... a 4-bedroom 3 bath house on 18 acres, with a 200-yard rifle range for about $575K. It's a 15-minute drive to the station at Brunswick. There are about 7 trains each way. It's about 50 minutes or so from Brunswick to Rockville, where you can change to the Metro. The Metro station in Bethesda is at 7450 Wisconsin Ave.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Nokesville is very nice, 10 acre minimum for any new homes, pretty rural for NoVA, within 10-15 of the Broad Run VRE station.  I have 5 acres and shoot suppressed, safely in my back yard.  A house down the street from me is going up for sale later this year, every house in my neighborhood has at least 5 acres.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can also get the MARC train from Brunswick, MD, right across the river from Lovettsville. Lots of nice places for sale in the Lovettsville area. My next door neighbor's place in going on the market sometime this summer..... a 4-bedroom 3 bath house on 18 acres, with a 200-yard rifle range for about $575K. It's a 15-minute drive to the station at Brunswick. There are about 7 trains each way. It's about 50 minutes or so from Brunswick to Rockville, where you can change to the Metro. The Metro station in Bethesda is at 7450 Wisconsin Ave.
View Quote
Yeah, looks like metro's not much of an option then -- that's ten miles from the facility where I'll be working.  I think there's a shuttle from Navy yard though -- that's probably what I'll do if I use mass transit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Where exactly is your work?  Plenty of Metro buses through Bethesda.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah, looks like metro's not much of an option then -- that's ten miles from the facility where I'll be working.  I think there's a shuttle from Navy yard though -- that's probably what I'll do if I use mass transit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A shuttle from WNY to Bethesda seems like a long bad trip through DC.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Too Late to Find another Job? We moved away from Loudoun County not long ago.
Salaries seem great, but then you pay for it in commutes, and assholes everywhere. (This place will change you)
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The MARC train will take you to Union Station. You can take the metro from there to WNY. Probably a 15 minute trip on Metro.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Too Late to Find another Job? We moved away from Loudoun County not long ago.
Salaries seem great, but then you pay for it in commutes, and assholes everywhere. (This place will change you)
View Quote
I'm not a huge fan of the location, but this job was custom made for me.  It's what I want to do, and I haven't had that opportunity in decades.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I drive the DC Metro area all day, 5 days a week going from construction site to construction site.

If your job is in Bethesda and you want to live in VA you need to stay north of 66 in VA. From the bottom of the beltway (where 395/495/95 meet) its a 45 min commute to that general area of MD. You can pay for the EZ Pass but it will cost you dearly, I have seen tolls as high at $22 myself.

Seriously I would look at something north of 66 if you can afford it as it would save you a headache. There is the Orange and Silver line for metro up that way.

If this isn't possible I would look into getting out the door earlier and home earlier. Can you set your own hours?

ETA: Manassas Park is a nice place but I wouldn't live there if I had to work in MD, the morning line of vehicles on 28 north to get to 66 is murder. That line of cars doesn't die down until after 930 am or so. I drive to that city around twice a week in the am for meetings on 28 south and the line of cars going north doesn't look fun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Flexible work hours are really the only way to avoid most traffic in the metro area.
View Quote
Word!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I drive the DC Metro area all day, 5 days a week going from construction site to construction site.

If your job is in Bethesda and you want to live in VA you need to stay north of 66 in VA. From the bottom of the beltway (where 395/495/95 meet) its a 45 min commute to that general area of MD. You can pay for the EZ Pass but it will cost you dearly, I have seen tolls as high at $22 myself.

Seriously I would look at something north of 66 if you can afford it as it would save you a headache. There is the Orange and Silver line for metro up that way.

If this isn't possible I would look into getting out the door earlier and home earlier. Can you set your own hours?

ETA: Manassas Park is a nice place but I wouldn't live there if I had to work in MD, the morning line of vehicles on 28 north to get to 66 is murder. That line of cars doesn't die down until after 930 am or so. I drive to that city around twice a week in the am for meetings on 28 south and the line of cars going north doesn't look fun.
View Quote
Nice...  thanks for the info - I'll keep that in mind!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top