Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 7:30:44 PM EDT
Are they legal here?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Own, I would say yes but to carry my instinct is to say no.  There is a list of items (like switchblades, saps, etc.) that are specifically forbidden.  Batons may or may not be in there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
open carry is good but concealed is a no-no just like switchblades/auto knives open carry only.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI - I've heard a lot of LEOs say that the ASP type batons are somewhat less than effective, compared to the standard straight
batons. It would be pretty disappointing to use an ASP in a social situation only to discover that you have angered your opponent
rather than discouraged them.  

-Warren-
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm an ASP instructor, and I view the ASP/Monadnock batons as being borderline useless. The Peacekeeper expandable baton, though...that's a different matter. That thing will change a person's mind. I would look into those if you're considering carrying an expandable baton.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at keeping one in a car since I'm not comfortable leaving a gun in my car all day long in a commuter lot
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at keeping one in a car since I'm not comfortable leaving a gun in my car all day long in a commuter lot
View Quote
Is it going to stay in the car? If so, an expandable baton may not be the optimal tool for the job. You can certainly utilize it effectively in closed-mode, but there still might be better options though. If you're set on a blunt force object, perhaps an old school leather slap-jack would be better for leaving in the car?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Things cops actually use ASP batons for:

1. Poking things to see what's under it
2. Dig through trash
3. Break windows
4. Jam in doors
5. Visual persuader for crowd control

Not one of those things is "an effective impact weapon"

You'd be better off with a can of OC and a hickory baton in your car.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Things cops actually use ASP batons for:

1. Poking things to see what's under it
2. Dig through trash
3. Break windows
4. Jam in doors
5. Visual persuader for crowd control

Not one of those things is "an effective impact weapon"

You'd be better off with a can of OC and a hickory baton in your car.
View Quote
You forgot:

1. Use to activate emergency equipment in coworker's car when you catch them sleeping.
2. Use to remove dead snake from vehicle spotlight that was put there by previously mentioned coworker
3. Stickball bat
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You forgot:

1. Use to activate emergency equipment in coworker's car when you catch them sleeping.
2. Use to remove dead snake from vehicle spotlight that was put there by previously mentioned coworker
3. Stickball bat
View Quote
Also these yes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I carried an ASP, and I would take back my old PR-24 side handled baton, with the Yawara knob any day!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
small aluminum baseball bat.  Keep a glove and ball in the car too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top