Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 4:33:45 PM EDT
Hey there,

So as it says I currently live in Centreville. I am lucky enough to have paid of my house so I am looking to buy some land (Potentially another house) west or south of me. Would prefer to be within 2 hours or so and stay in VA. I am looking to build my own private range on the land I buy. Was hoping the crew here could help me out on which counties are good to go and which I should avoid. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Had some acres outside Leesburg in Loudoun.  No problem shooting on my property.  If neighbors didn't like it oh well.  Never had any complaints.  

Also lived in the stix out in Clarke county and no prob shooting out there. 

I'd think you only run into trouble, restrictions, and whiny neighbors in incorporated areas.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You can shoot on 10 or more acres in Prince William I believe
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
We've had a range on my parents land in Shenandoah County since the 80's. Full auto, tannerite, the occasional cannon and never any issues.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Prince William County is minimum of five acres and 100 yards from habited strutures and roads. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at the land west of I 81, much cheaper and less restrictions. That being said, Fauquier or Culpeper County would be excellent
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Double check the laws of Fauquier.  I live here and remember they made a change where you needed more spacing in order to shoot in certain parts of the county, want to say it was the New Baltimore part of the county.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
A big thanks to everyone. gave my realtor a list to begin looking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Please report back on what you find.  I'm sort of semi looking for land for ATV riding and eventually somewhere to shoot.  Most places I find are on huge hills/mountains.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had some acres outside Leesburg in Loudoun.  No problem shooting on my property.  If neighbors didn't like it oh well.  Never had any complaints.  

Also lived in the stix out in Clarke county and no prob shooting out there. 

I'd think you only run into trouble, restrictions, and whiny neighbors in incorporated areas.  
View Quote
I had some neighbors out in Leesburg that didn't like shooting around their property. The situation got out of hand and a Loudoun Board Supervisor got involved. Loudoun is friendly, but whiny neighbors can be a lot to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Please report back on what you find.  I'm sort of semi looking for land for ATV riding and eventually somewhere to shoot.  Most places I find are on huge hills/mountains.
View Quote
Some interesting things. If you want a small plot of 15-20 acres in Madison there are a few for ~$65k. I found a nice place west of Winchester that has enough acreage and a house that we might go for. Would be nice to have a weekend place. Wife and I are going back and forth though on: second house with land for range vs range and just camp there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take a look at the land west of I 81, much cheaper and less restrictions. That being said, Fauquier or Culpeper County would be excellent
View Quote
I'd also recommend this so you don't have much traffic to deal with on the days you want to go to the property.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Southampton and Isle of Wight are cool. Of course my friend owns property in Southampton also, has neighbors who call the cops every time they hear anything that sounds like a gunshot "fearing for their life and safety"...

Keep in mind their so heavily anti gun they tell the cops to confiscate any firearms they find.....of course the cops show up but nothing can be done because private property and we are shooting in a safe direction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top