Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2017 9:19:21 AM EDT
Title says just about everything. Specifically, I have an SKS that I've never fired because I have zero confidence the thing will function properly, and I'd like to have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it. Closer to the beltway, the better. I've found a few candidates through a few Google searches, with mixed reviews, and I'm hoping the community can help separate the wheat from the chaff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No recommendations for you, but the SKS isn't that complicated. What you need to check the most is the bolt. Disassemble it and make sure there's no cosmoline or other gunk remaining inside. This can cause a slam fire if it's not removed.
cleaning SKS bolt

Not sure what else you'd really need checked. Never seen one with a headspace issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Check with Jim at Spec Dive Tactical off Edsall road

Jim might come across this thread since he is on arfcom
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check with Jim at Spec Dive Tactical off Edsall road

Jim might come across this thread since he is on arfcom
View Quote
+1 for Jim, he did some AK work for me.  

For the SKS, pull the bolt carrier and shake it.  If you can hear and feel the pin moving, that's half the battle.  Many times the bolt has dirt/grime/cosmoline and the pin won't move freely.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#4]
YEP, i work on those.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
WAR Rifles in Manassas VA would be able to help you out. I have yet to see a weapon they could not handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top