Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 12:54:29 AM EDT
Long story short, been awake for 72hrs, supposedly grabbed loaded handgun and fired a shot through my leg... Don't remember any of it.

Wife walked them through the house and offered up every firearm she knew about.

Still live in the house with some fucked up protective order that says I'm not allowed to yell at my wife,fuck up shit around the house etc...
Will I ever get my firearms back?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:34:00 AM EDT
[#1]
hopefully you get some sleep and your leg is healing.  Beyond that I don't think anyone can give you a reasonable answer to your question without more information
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Start by getting some sleep, assuming you have already sought medical treatment for the wound.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
This happened back in November, wound is well beyond healed... In and out...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Lawyer up, good 2a lawyers at VCDL
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
This question is about 3 months late - but you need a lawyer ASAP.  

ETA:Sounds like you may also need a divorce attorney. Zero chance I live in the same house with someone who has a protective order against me.

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This question is about 3 months late - but you need a lawyer ASAP.  

ETA:Sounds like you may also need a divorce attorney. Zero chance I live in the same house with someone who has a protective order against me.

-shooter
View Quote
Lol, would you be living in the same house with someone that shot themself and don't remember any of it? There's a whole lot of missing info in the OP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol, would you be living in the same house with someone that shot themself and don't remember any of it? There's a whole lot of missing info in the OP.
View Quote

True - it would be interesting to have surveillance video of that incident...

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Wondering how you still have your guns with the protective order...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#9]
What I am about to post is really going to piss some people off but...

I am a firm believer some people should not own guns. Just from the vague post here, I would suspect the OP either has a substance abuse issue or a mental health issue.  Neither of which go hand in hand with responsible gun ownership.

How the hell do you shoot yourself and not have any memory of it? Accidents happen but to post you have no memory of it sounds suspicious.

Add in your wife turned your guns over to the police? And now you have a protection order against you? I think there are a lot of the pieces missing from this puzzle.

But to answer the OPs question about getting the guns back.....two words...Protection Order.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What I am about to post is really going to piss some people off but...

I am a firm believer some people should not own guns. Just from the vague post here, I would suspect the OP either has a substance abuse issue or a mental health issue.  Neither of which go hand in hand with responsible gun ownership.

How the hell do you shoot yourself and not have any memory of it? Accidents happen but to post you have no memory of it sounds suspicious.

Add in your wife turned your guns over to the police? And now you have a protection order against you? I think there are a lot of the pieces missing from this puzzle.

But to answer the OPs question about getting the guns back.....two words...Protection Order.
View Quote
I kinda agree with you. Up for 72 hours and then fucking with a gun is not a normal thing to do OP. I have been up for about the same amount of time when I had really bad insomnia and thankfully did not own any guns then. I may have been exhausted but I still remembered what I was doing. That leads me to think there is a substance abuse involved that you failed to mention. So were you put on a PSYCH hold or anything else? Chances are OP's baker acted and has a protective order against him.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#11]
You may get them back when the protective order is completed, but unless you have more information then what you have provided, kinda hard to say.  Some of these things have a life of their own and don't die.  Your protective order basically states that you must behave yourself and not commit any acts of domestic violence.  Honestly I hate these because you technically cannot even have an argument or your going to be screwed.  It does nothing for either party and only leads to more calls for the police.  If its that bad in your house, move out.  Get out of the situation and seek help (physically and mentally).  There is more o life then just gun ownership.  Take up other hobbies and distance yourself from this messed up situation.  Over time if things work out, then seek the remedy that you desire.  In the end YOU did this to yourself and only have yourself to blame.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
OP were you charged with anything? Did you receive non voluntary mental health care or voluntary? Was the protecticive order extended? An EPO usually only last 72 hours or until the first Court date after it's issued, then it could be extended for 15 days and at the end of that can be extended for up to two years. So if the protective order was extended and is active now you are not allowed to possess, purchase or transport any firearms. Like others have said there is a lot missing in this story and I sense there is a substance abuse and/or mental issue going on here that wasn't mentioned for you to shoot yourself and have no recollection of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top