Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 5:22:48 PM EDT
Weird question time. I work at a law firm outside of Richmond and our criminal defense attorney asked me, as the resident gun guy, if I could look for any private labs that could compare two rifle cases and tell him if they were fired from the same weapon. The lab would preferably be in Virginia. Anyone have any ideas or leads?  Virginia DFS is out
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck to you.  Maybe they can tell you if it was fired from the same type of firearm. My understanding is that ballistic fingerprinting is very unreliable.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/08/maryland-ends-ballistic-fingerprinting-database-15-years-5-million-no-crimes-solved/

https://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/ballistic-finger-printing/#note-89-6

In a California Department of Justice study, 50 fired cases from the Federal Cartridge Corp. were compared. The cartridges had all been fired in the same gun. In microscopic examination by “experts,” 38 percent were missed! When different cartridge makes were added to the mix, still all from the same gun, 62 percent were missed. Obviously, this presents a serious problem with only one fired case or bullet from each gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe start with universities in the commonwealth with forensics programs?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand WHY DFS is out, but I am not aware of any labs that do it besides them (or other LE labs). I say this as a former detective and a current third year law student.

One option... go ask your insurance guys (or find some) what labs they use for various testing. The only industry that I've seen that does similar testing to criminal stuff is the insurance industry.

ETA - Specifically fire casualty.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Comparison gets especially difficult if the fired case is from reloaded ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top