Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 9:09:57 PM EDT
Just got a job offer that will likely have me in the DC area. Looking for a place to live. Im a single guy, would like a place that is dog friendly for a German Shepherd. I would ideally like to have a second bedroom or a den for a study. Looking to keep it around $250,000 or so. I know thats kind of tight for the area.  

Anyone know anything? Good areas? Affordable? How are the condo's? I heard the feels are as much as the mortgage sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got a job offer that will likely have me in the DC area. Looking for a place to live. Im a single guy, would like a place that is dog friendly for a German Shepherd. I would ideally like to have a second bedroom or a den for a study. Looking to keep it around $250,000 or so. I know thats kind of tight for the area.  

Anyone know anything? Good areas? Affordable? How are the condo's? I heard the feels are as much as the mortgage sometimes.
View Quote

Depends on how close to DC, close in $250k buys a condo, further out townhouse, 1.5 hours  plus small house.  If you're not familiar with the area, might want to rent to get a feel for the area.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:15:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on how close to DC, close in $250k buys a condo, further out townhouse, 1.5 hours  plus small house.  If you're not familiar with the area, might want to rent to get a feel for the area.
View Quote

I lived in Crystal City for a short stint of 6 months. Luckily housing was provided. I'll be working on Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, so Woodbridge seems like it could be in the option. I would rather avoid renting, I haven't seen any apartments or places to rent for under $1000...Unless its under 500 sqft.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I lived in Crystal City for a short stint of 6 months. Luckily housing was provided. I'll be working on Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, so Woodbridge seems like it could be in the option. I would rather avoid renting, I haven't seen any apartments or places to rent for under $1000...Unless its under 500 sqft.
View Quote

That's a bad location for a job, and the drive from Woodbridge would be horrible.  You might be able to find something in Alexandria, but the neighborhood will not be any better than PG County and might be worse.  

Might want to consider PG County.  Seriously.  Or even DC proper.  They have a first-time home buyer program and parts of Anacostia have been turning around.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Talk to your new supervisor about getting the map of the DOD shuttle buses that run from base to base.  You might be able to take the VRE from the south and pick up a shuttle to Bolling.  I did that when I worked at National Guard Bureau in Arlington.  Took the VRE from Fredericksburg to Crystal City, then hopped on the Route 6 shuttle to NGB.  Not sure what goes to Bolling and never looked since it didn't pertain to me
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Talk to your new supervisor about getting the map of the DOD shuttle buses that run from base to base.  You might be able to take the VRE from the south and pick up a shuttle to Bolling.  I did that when I worked at National Guard Bureau in Arlington.  Took the VRE from Fredericksburg to Crystal City, then hopped on the Route 6 shuttle to NGB.  Not sure what goes to Bolling and never looked since it didn't pertain to me
View Quote

I wanted to get on AGR orders of some kind with NGB. I was doing TX Counterdrug for about 7 months before my ADOS orders got cut short 1 March instead of June, possibly extended until Sept. I keep checking GKO but nothing posted in my rank/branch.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I live the vre.

But your dog will be home by them self  for probably 12+ hrs a day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
My daughter lives in Alexandria, and hires a dog walker to take her dog out at mid day for a walk.  She really likes it there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top