Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2017 12:13:04 PM EDT
Anyone else have fruit trees in bloom?  My peaches and cherries are opening up and it looks like Fri-Sat we are going to have lows in the lower-mid 20s.  The apples and pears might be OK if this warmth doesn't get them too excited.   I lost 100% of my fruit tree crop last year when he had these temps in April.  I'm going to smoke a pig under a few trees, light some fire pits, and set some bulk water around on these pending cold nights.  Anyone else have practical recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
practical recommendations?
View Quote

The key seems to be oily smoke, which is used to create a local 'inversion layer' ... some info

Within the past 10 years, I saw these in action in Florida citrus groves. The grid seemed to be a smudge pot (55 gallon barrel ... not the bowling-ball style warning flames that used to be found at road construction sites) between every 3-4 trees, with the rows staggered so that there was no more than two trees to the nearest smudge pot.  If you try to do this, @Panta_Rei, I'd create a largish buffer around your (presumably) small grove.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  I may have accomplish a similar effect when smoking the pork.  Lots of green fruit tree clippings burning at 225-ish makes a humid plume and the lower temps allow the particulate size to increase thus slower rise more suspension.  I think drums of water at the tree bases helped too.  I saved a few trees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top