Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 6:44:28 AM EDT
All,

Looking for guidance on this situation.  Ex-Virginia resident, former domicile in Fairfax, sold the house, no cars registered in the United States, current VA driver's license expired, CCW expired, now divorced. Haven't been back to the U.S. in 1 1/2 years, with no intention of ever moving back to Virginia.  Currently living in China, my employer's official location is outside of Virginia.

Jointly filed a Virginia tax return in 2015, got divorced in 2016, should be a no-brainer.  I've heard that VA can be a fucky as NY when state taxes are concerned.  

Ideas?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you earned income during your partial year (2016)  in Virginia, you'll need to file a Part-Year Resident return, and are liable for any state income tax due on income earned during that partial year. If you don't file the return, the Department of Taxation will file an estimated return for you and send you a bill for any taxes that they consider as due.

Your best bet is to file the return and pay the tax. As a former Dept. of Taxation employee, I can tell you that they are like a dog with a bone: they won't let it go. Their favorite saying is that in Virginia there is no statute of limitations on two things: Murder and taxes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the guidance, at least I won't owe. Virginia can't be as nasty as NYS, that's another story. Virginia was a fun state, I can't do D.C. again......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top